Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Deep South Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/deep-south-cobra-club/)
-   -   KNOCK-OFF or BOLT-ONS (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/deep-south-cobra-club/93487-knock-off-bolt-ons.html)

ROBERT GWALTNEY 12-09-2008 10:13 AM

KNOCK-OFF or BOLT-ONS

Is the knock-off the way to go or the bolts on. I been told that the knock off come loose, I prefer the 15' wheel and if I do go with bolt ons I would want the cover to hide the nuts. Bolt-ons or Knock-offs which way to go????
Robert

Bob In Ct 12-09-2008 10:31 AM

If installed properly the Knock Offs don't come loose. As a matter of fact, if you don't use some sort of anti-seize they will weld themselves on. Even if they did manage to loosen, everyone should have their spinners wired anyway.

Bob

Got the Bug 12-09-2008 10:54 AM

This may have been asked and answered before, but why is it that Cobra knock-offs are safety wired on, but other classic cars (i.e. Jaguar, MG, etc.) with knock-offs don't use safety wire?

RedBarchetta 12-09-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 903816)
This may have been asked and answered before, but why is it that Cobra knock-offs are safety wired on, but other classic cars (i.e. Jaguar, MG, etc.) with knock-offs don't use safety wire?

Answer: How they are driven. :3DSMILE:

Robert, get the knock-offs and prep/install them correctly and you'll have no worries.

jagxjr5012 12-09-2008 11:29 AM

Knock offs with safety wire hands down.....

double ugly 12-09-2008 11:40 AM

Pin drive hubs are much more expensive but are a good way to go if money isn't an issue.
John

fkemmerer 12-09-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 903816)

Doug,

Almost all knock-off wheels use some sort of safety mechanism. For example, C2 corvettes with knockoffs use a pin that locks the spinners to the hubs). In the case of the cobra, the old fashioned way of safety wire is used which makes the car look even more like it came from the track. Knockoffs will stay put if properly installed (I have them on my Vette and my Cobra). The big drawback is the extra cost.

- Fred

Bill Wells 12-09-2008 01:08 PM

knock offs while costly new also add to the resale value . most folks want the knock offs and it makes the car more buyer friendly when you go to sell . I have the early SPF fake knock off '5 bolt' wheels which will be at my detriment when i go to sell it : ie, worth less and not as desireable. Back in 1996 when my car was built the knock offs were about a $2400 option - later on spf made them standard and adjusted the base price accordingly .

my next one will have real knock offs instead of fakey doohs. Bill

peters44 12-09-2008 01:09 PM

Knock Offs Knock Offs
Very glad I got them when I built my car.
Peter

madmaxx 12-09-2008 01:35 PM

knock offs, knock offs, they are way to cool and get a ton of attention.

cbreez 12-09-2008 01:58 PM

As the man said, properly installed (seated) and tightened, no safety wire needed, they won't come off. Make sure the proper hub (rotation) is used on the correct side of the car. I have used in racing applications for many years with no safety wire. The idea of a knockoff hub is speed in wheel changing...safety wire slows that down. ;)

Goopie 18 12-09-2008 02:13 PM

Knock-offs!!! Hands down, no comparison. It's always a positive point of conversation

Tom Wells 12-09-2008 02:15 PM

Robert,

I did a search here for "safety wire knockoff loose" and got four hits which you might find informative.

One interesting thing I did notice was that bolt-on wheels, while (I think) on the majority of the Cobras, don't seem to have as many problems related to tightening and loosening....

Knock-offs do seem to have an aesthetic appeal.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

Tom

ROBERT GWALTNEY 12-18-2008 06:54 PM

I ordered my wheels today and I went with the Vintage Wheels. Now Its the wating for the UPS truck.

wtm442 12-18-2008 07:28 PM

Only real Cobra guys have knock-offs. Great looking and fantastic conversational piece every so often.

Bolt on wheels are so pedestrian .. they are like a$$holes ... everyone has one.

Knock offs make the car a "replica".

Bolt-on wheels are for cheap "kit cars".

Bill Bess 12-19-2008 05:01 AM

One thing about the "safety wires", when you walk around the car, you can easily inspect the security of the wheels by noting that all the safety wires are on, tight and not broken. The only other thing is air pressure and that is a "no-brainer"...if it's flat, you need air. HA.....HA!

Bill

eschaider 12-19-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Bess (Post 906144)
One thing about the "safety wires", when you walk around the car, you can easily inspect the security of the wheels by noting that all the safety wires are on, tight and not broken. The only other thing is air pressure and that is a "no-brainer"...if it's flat, you need air. HA.....HA!

Bill

Bill is right about the safety wires. They give you a quick visual that everything is as it was.

When you install the safety wire if you do it with a very small amount of slack so the wire is not tight but has a slight belly in it the visual inspection is even easier. If the wire has tightened up and the slack is gone the spinner needs a whack if not all is good.

Ed

Dangerous Doug 12-19-2008 01:17 PM

Go with the knock-offs.

Buy them from Vintage Wheels US: http://www.vintagewheelsus.com/

They have an excellent product. I had them machine my 427 wheels to fit my ERA 289FIA. Couldn't be happier with the results.

DD

cbreez 12-19-2008 01:34 PM

hey buddy, sorry to disagree but, they are all replicas (not the real thing) kit or not, knock-offs or not, 427 or not, on and on! ;)

danc30 12-19-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtm442 (Post 906103)
Only real Cobra guys have knock-offs. Great looking and fantastic conversational piece every so often.

Bolt on wheels are so pedestrian .. they are like a$$holes ... everyone has one.

Knock offs make the car a "replica".

Bolt-on wheels are for cheap "kit cars".

Then I guess mine is a "cheap one"......

How can knock-offs make it a replica. Seems like an oxy-MORON.....:3DSMILE:

So just because yours has knock offs, its a replica and mine has bolt ons, it's a kit? How moronic is that statement........:confused:
Plllleeease......