24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Ripped off in the UK

Hi guys,

We recently had a fantastic trip in the UK taking in Oxford, Cambridge before heading to Bath.

What great places...

We made a mistake heading in Somerset Council area and staying at a place called Taunton.

We could only grab a late room at the Holiday Inn Express in Taunton and it was clean and comfortable.

But we got ripped off a treat by the Somerset Council - they should be your Public Relations and Tourist Town Criers but....

We left the Holiday Inn and were directed to the left at the roundabout. We travelled this way onto Illminister Road on three occasions using the GPS.

Guess what. its a bus lane and we received a heap of Traffic Infringements.

Guess I was a sucker as the signs face the roundabout and they are not visible.

Great little money maker for Council.... Outright theft.

As I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express I went onto Trip Advisor. Google Holiday Inn Express and pick the Trip Advisor site.

Read the reviews on this fine Council and how they have treated visitors - the first five pages of the Trip Advisor site reviews for the Holiday Inn Express, has five complaints about this Somerset Council at Taunton.

Mmmm just my complaint. I will be staying well away - bypassing the place on our next holiday...

My advice stay the hell out of Somerset....
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 10-16-2013, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry

I just counted the fines. I received six fines in two days. Guess I never learn...

The Council have forwarded photos and yes there are signs displayed but they face the roundabout. I objected.

Guess what I just saw their 3 point response to my objection.

Basically it says, there are signs, the bus lanes are not for cars and to rub it in - point three - the fines have been paid so case closed - ..fu!k off..

I used a rental company and they immediately pay the fines and bill my credit card. So to late they are paid.

On the up side we walked down the road three or four times - and yes 'did not see the signs' as they are facing out onto the roundabout.

There should be a 'No Left Turn' sign near the Holiday Inn and we drivers in a foreign country using our GPS would see the 'No Left Turn' sign and go onto the roundabout - which funnily enough is quicker than using the Bus Lane..

Just my complaint I will add my review to the Holiday Inn Express Trip Advisor and it will not be complimentary of these thieves..

We had a great time otherwise and I managed to keep speeding to nil.

Cheers.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Gee Bernie as we sit here in our own little cobra worlds plucking out our bellybutton fluff we think about all the problems that world travellers face as they ceaselessly search the world for fulfilment.
Could I suggest that on your next escapade you contact me, and for a small fee and expenses I will navigate/drive/arrange and otherwise make sure you are not distracted from the beautiful scenery around you.
Always remember you can call on us for help when you need it.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, yes possibly I need additional guidance...
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Darn Bernie,

I bet that is the most traffic violations you have had in such a short time for a long time. But don't let it ruin your trip as there is a lot to see and do there.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Go to Thailand, they have a great rule, that you can only get fined once for the one thing in one day. I got caught for no helmet, and went around the corner and got stopped again, and I showed him the ticket. He laughed and he let me go. It was only a 5 dollar fine anyway.
JD
Old 10-17-2013, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jaycee,

Yes if it was one fine a day I would have been reasonably happy.

Even if they saw on the camera I was heading along the lane four times one day and booked me once with a warning..

But I was resigned to it until I Posted on Trip Advisor for the Holiday Inn Express Taunton and saw all the others being booked.

I particular felt humiliation and being ripped off when I read the plea from the woman who just could not get the fine money together in time. Not to mention the family group who were all fined in their cars heading to and from a funeral.

Yes a very compassionate Council. Somerset Council UK

The council are aware of this and appear to just let it happen. I am not exaggerating you should read Trip Advisor. Holiday Inn Express Taunton UK.

Last edited by BMK; 10-17-2013 at 12:39 PM..
Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mmmmm if you have time Google Somerset Council Uk.

They have a contact us site....

Send them an email and tell them you read my article Thread here.

Perhaps they may have some compassion and refund the family and the cash short woman

Trip Advisor Holiday Inn Express Taunton UK - read

Somerset Council UK - log a few lines on their Contact Us.......

As motorists we need to stop this rip off.

Just my rave for the day..
Old 10-18-2013, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah you guys in the UK need to get onto Trip Advisor Holiday Inn Express Taunton.

Read the poor girls review and the family attending the funeral review.

Go onto the Somerset Council site on Contact Us and log your opinion on how they treat the UK drivers.

I thought they shipped all the criminals to Australia. Obviously not some ended up at Somerset Council...
Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

I guess I should apologise on behalf of those thieving trolls who enjoy bringing disrepute onto this once proud country. Now that our Gummint has cut payments to all local councils, they develop their own methods of finding the 'lost' money - and the motorist is the softest target, as always. Of course, it's not about revenue at all but making life easier and better for the happy drivers (we believe that don't we?)

Another council developed a wonderful trick to deliberately confuse drivers by marking the road in such a way that they turned left off a roundabout to enter a 'bus only' road. A sane and sensible local resident decided to spend his day standing by the junction wearing a large placard warning drivers of the trap. Naturally he was arrested on some dreamt-up charge.....

It's not a lot better in Europe. In Germany they paint the roadside cameras a dull grey to make them less visible - yellow over here - but provided you're not going mad it's just a 15 euro fine. I've got a picture of me 'driving' a Cobra that was sent from the Office of Speeding Fines (whatever). It was a right-hand drive Cobra so I was the passenger. The fact I didn't have a steering wheel in my hands didn't bother the money collectors....
Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow something ruffled Bernie's feathers! lol The only ticket I ever received was from an arrogant officer that I argued with feverishly. I was in a left-hand lane and the lady to my right cut in front of me and made a left hand turn almost causing an accident. It was a judgment call the way the lane was marked. I told him why didn't you ticket the woman that almost caused an accident and made an illegal turn. No response. I wasted my time fighting the ticket with pictures and it was thrown out. funny thing was a woman was discussing her ticket with one of the clerks and I had to interrupt them. The lady is correct that no right turn on red sign is covered by the tree branches. Our town has been giving tickets for two years over that dam sign. Her ticket was tossed too. Sorry to hear that these tactics are done purposely just to raise funds.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Trevor

Yes there seems to be a money grab...

The Trip Advisor Holiday Inn Express site at Taunton has over twenty fines in a week!

The Bus Lane signs are not visible when you leave the motel - I have contacted locals to check.

.. So the poor old motorist kicks into Council coffers.

We have had a legal opinion from a Taunton lawyer and he said he will chase it up "pro bono" - this is good of him. He described it as a trap that Council would be well aware of and this is illegal...

Any books in the pipeline Trev..
Old 10-18-2013, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Onyxrider

Yes has ruffled my feathers.

I think the fact that they just responded that the fines were paid case closed pissed me off the most.

Then I saw all the older motorists attending funerals and others on the Trip Advisor site for the Holiday Inn Express Taunton complaining.

I actually offered to return my fines to the Taunton Youth group as the money is not the issue it is the principal - as they say.

Mmmm...
Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How would you like to be the owner of a legally parked auto then have someone paint a box around your car and make it handi-capped parking. Look at the tow truck pulling it out from the side. lol

Just a car guy : What will a corrupt city government do to get your money in fines? Paint a handicap parking around your car, then tow your car, fine you, and get a cut of the towing and impound fines. Nice huh?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: