Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i like that answer!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Actually, all the chassis are ready to accept the ERA rear suspension and they both require a Jag center section, so basically you can make up your mind very late in the build.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Rear Brake Option

I track my FIA as often as I can. The inboard brake Jag setup is OK on long tracks (like VIR and WGI) where the brakes can get some cool time but I have lost the brakes several times at the short tracks like LRP and Loudon. The good fluid like Castrol does help but I wish I had the outboard brakes.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

I've got the ERA rear and can tell you that it rides and handles great. As for the inboards, I've never driven a car with the inboards, only ridden in them. I have only driven mine on the street, the inboard FIA rides have been on the street and track. From the ride as a passenger, I didn't notice any real ride difference. Also seemed to corner really well and didn't note any wheel hop with either suspension. Changing the brake pads is definately a piece of cake with the outboards. I'd get them again.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I started out with the inboard brake setup in my ERA. It's mainly street driven with occassional track use. During hard launches I would occassionally get some wheel hop that I never managed to completely eliminate. During one particular burnout, I experienced some wheel hop causing the driveline u-joint to break. I could have just replaced the u-joint (and the transmission yoke, driveline and safety loop) but I was fearful that it would just break again so I decided to upgrade to the ERA outboard break set up. Once I switched rearends, my wheel hop issue was completely eliminated (although most ERA owners never experience wheel hop in the first place). I like the looks of the new rearend a lot but from a performance and handling perspective, I can't tell the difference between the two (other than the wheel hop problem going away).

Advantages of the outboard brake rear end: 1) looks cooler, 2)easier to replace brake pads, 3) lighter, 4) can adust caster, camber and toe in, 5) bigger rear brakes, 6) easier to adjust parking brake tension, 7) little chance of wheel hop issues during hard launches.

Disadvantages of outboard brake rear end: 1) costs more and 2) can't run under car exhaust out the back.

Advantages of inboard brake rear end: 1) cheaper, 2) can rund under car exhause all the way out the back.

Disadvantages of inboard brake rear end: 1) heavier, 2) some owners have reported wheel hop issues, 3) smaller brakes, 4) brakes more prone to fading and related problems with heavy use.

Quote:
I don't believe there would be any appreciable difference between the two as it is the same Jag rear end - same shocks.
This isn't true. The inboard brake set up uses four coil overs. The outboard brake set up uses only 2.

Last edited by CJ428CJ; 10-27-2009 at 07:44 AM..
Old 10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2128
Not Ranked     
Default Upgrade-Yes

This rear suspension is a piece of art. If my wife would let me, I'd buy one and put a piece of glass on top and make it a coffee table.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
I've got the ERA rear and can tell you that it rides and handles great. As for the inboards, I've never driven a car with the inboards, only ridden in them. I have only driven mine on the street, the inboard FIA rides have been on the street and track. From the ride as a passenger, I didn't notice any real ride difference. Also seemed to corner really well and didn't note any wheel hop with either suspension. Changing the brake pads is definately a piece of cake with the outboards. I'd get them again.
Sure is, ain't it?

I have the inboards and they work fine for my street car. I do have wheel hop and can not get rid of it for the life of me. Warren, you can take my car out any time. I never realized you've not driven it.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ428CJ View Post
I started out with the inboard brake setup in my ERA. It's mainly street driven with occassional track use. During hard launches I would occassionally get some wheel hop that I never managed to completely eliminate. During one particular burnout, I experienced some wheel hop causing the driveline u-joint to break. I could have just replaced the u-joint (and the transmission yoke, driveline and safety loop) but I was fearful that it would just break again so I decided to upgrade to the ERA outboard break set up. Once I switched rearends, my wheel hop issue was completely eliminated (although most ERA owners never experience wheel hop in the first place). I like the looks of the new rearend a lot but from a performance and handling perspective, I can't tell the difference between the two (other than the wheel hop problem going away).

Advantages of the outboard brake rear end: 1) looks cooler, 2)easier to replace brake pads, 3) lighter, 4) can adust caster, camber and toe in, 5) bigger rear brakes, 6) easier to adjust parking brake tension, 7) little chance of wheel hop issues during hard launches.

Disadvantages of outboard brake rear end: 1) costs more and 2) can't run under car exhaust out the back.

Advantages of inboard brake rear end: 1) cheaper, 2) can rund under car exhause all the way out the back.

Disadvantages of inboard brake rear end: 1) heavier, 2) some owners have reported wheel hop issues, 3) smaller brakes, 4) brakes more prone to fading and related problems with heavy use.

This isn't true. The inboard brake set up uses four coil overs. The outboard brake set up uses only 2.

CJ ...

Great info, looks like you have had a unique side by side comparison with both ERA setups, which you have articulated quite well. The pros and cons pretty well sums it all up.

Thanks.

- Tim

--- I do think the (4) coil overs on the standard setup do look pretty cool...
Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJohnson69 View Post
Sure is, ain't it?

I have the inboards and they work fine for my street car. I do have wheel hop and can not get rid of it for the life of me. Warren, you can take my car out any time. I never realized you've not driven it.
Thanks for the offer. I was just always afraid that if I took out your BB 427 I might come back to find my SB FIA missing!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

Hi Sorry about this sorta off topic .
Do you have too get either rear end , aren't both an upgrade neither come with the base kit . I have been trying too figure this out , pouring over there website , they also sell a "core" jag rear but say you can source one locally probally cheaper . I take that to mean there jag setup is an upgraded option . Please tell me if I'm out to lunch and sorry to cut in .
sdr
________
VARIABLE UNIVERSAL LIFE INSURANCE FORUMS

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 03:02 PM..
Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

You need to buy one or the other setup. The basic kit does not include the rear suspension. I highly recommend the powder-coated frame and bonded body option, as well.

Call ERA and order a manual for $30 or so.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 10-29-2009, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default send me a private e-mail about your wheel hop

FrankJohnson69 Frank would like to talk to you about this off thread. Rick L.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I don't believe you have to buy either rear. It's a no brainer to do so, however. You can just buy the sub frame, I believe, & source your own jag parts. With ERA you know it will be assembled correctly. I couldn't put a price on that.