Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Parking Brake Adjustment on Outboard Braked Rear

Bob, I know the ERA rear uses 4th Gen F-body PBR calipers. The GM service manual for the 1995 Firebird and Camaro says "This vehicle is equipped with a self-adjusting parking brake lever assembly. This mechanism automatically takes up any slack in the cable assemblies and provides the correct amount of tension in the cable assemblies when the system is engaged. The parking brake cable assemblies cannot be manually adjusted." The manual also has a procedure for adjusting the parking brake "free travel" which is copied below. Unless you know the answer off the top of your head, will you ask Doug whether the ERA parking brake assembly for the outboard braked rear is self-adjusting? And if it's not, what's the recommended procedure for adjusting it?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

TTT -
Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Hmmm... What happened to my reply yesterday. Maybe I was hallucinating. (I had just got back from being knocked out for an esophageal endoscopy. They told me I shouldn't make any important decisions. Who knew? )

At any rate, your diagram is more than I've been able to find so far, so thanks!

We've only had to replace the rear pads once and didn't have to adjust the emergency brake at that time.

Some time ago, I looked around for pad-replacement instructions but didn't find much. I'll keep looking and maybe there'll be more hints.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
At any rate, your diagram is more than I've been able to find so far, so thanks!
I'm not so much concerned about pad replacement as I am the adjustment of the emergency (parking) brake. The collective wisdom of the 4th Gen Owners Forum is that the parking brake is adjusted by pulling the handbrake lever up three times in a row. What is unclear is whether the self-adjustment function is part of the handbrake assembly or part of the caliper itself. Rick Lake knows GM stuff -- Rick, how do you adjust the parking brake on 4th Gen Firebirds & Camaros?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Some time ago, I looked around for pad-replacement instructions but didn't find much. I'll keep looking and maybe there'll be more hints.
You should of called me. How's this:

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 09:33 AM..
Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat,

As far as I can tell, the self-adjustment mechanism is built into the caliper, not part of the cable linkage.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Pat,

As far as I can tell, the self-adjustment mechanism is built into the caliper, not part of the cable linkage.
Thanks, I think you're right. Now if that good-for-nothing bum Rick Lake would chime in with his "I'm a Certified GM Mr. Goodwrench Mechanic'" opinion....
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's some more information on the calipers:
GM Caliper Service
Old 10-30-2009, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Boy what a grump Pat

patrickt OFF THE MEDS AGAIN!@#$$%%$#$#@# Rear disc Brakes and calipers, GM has 3 kind, 2 with internal adjusting parking park units and 1 with seperate mechanical in the hat of the rear rotor.
The first 2 calipers need to have the cups rotated all the way in to reset them WITHOUT breaking the park accuator inside the cup. Using a "C" clamp will break it every time.
The 3rd one works like a front caliper with just compressing it with a spreader or "C" clamp. I use a spreader because if this doesn't do the job there is something wrong with the caliper or brake system. You should not need 300 pound of force to retrack the cup.
To set parking brake after repair. Pump the pedal until you feel a good one, then apply the parking brake 3-4 times and release should go about 1/2 way down and hold.
Side note some of the older calipers on late 70's cars through the 80's you have to adjust the parking brake first to set the pad clearance, then pump the brake pedal. After this was a pressure bleed of the system. Early ABS systems where a bit!@#$$ch to get working. Last thing do about 5-10 heat cycles, stop and let brakes cool off to breakin the pads and rotors. If not they can glaze and you get poor braking.
That's it Pat, can I go now????. Get back on your meds and stop HUFFING 134A and 22. Rick
Old 10-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
That's it Pat, can I go now????. Get back on your meds and stop HUFFING 134A and 22. Rick
Thank you, Rick.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's some more relevant information that describes Rick's post:
Replace Pads
Old 10-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So we are all in agreement that these calipers are not those funky calipers that require the piston to be "rotated back" in to the caliper. You can just squash it back in with a C-clamp like we've done forever and like all the above documention indicates and no special tool is required, correctamundo?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 1965 427 bodied w/Clevland 351 bored 60 over toploader 4 speed White and grey stripes
Not Ranked     

my GM 86 Corvette rear brakes are cable adjusted to remove slack,adjuster is at handbrake and is linked too cable
Old 03-05-2010, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe the '84-'88 Corvette used a separate drum-style emergency brake with a classic star wheel adjustment. If they had an adjustment up front, it was to compensate for cable stretch or compensate for variations in cable length.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
Did Rick just break the emoticon record with this post? Call Guiness.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Did Rick just break the emoticon record with this post? Call Guiness.
Rick can do anything. Attracting bronze with a magnet, for example....
Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well, some ERA owners think they can leap tall buildings too. Attracting bronze with a magnet goes with the territory.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well, some ERA owners think they can leap tall buildings too.
That's because ERA owners, generally speaking, are smarter, better looking, and generally all-around superior to other Cobra owners.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's because ERA owners, generally speaking, are smarter, better looking, and generally all-around superior to other Cobra owners.
Thanks be I'm not one of those...
Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Thanks be I'm not one of those...
You are the exception that proves the rule.