Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well that answers that. BTW, my #2 spark plug boot does just barely touch my expansion tank.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #776, 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Okay, I think I found the problem. Take a look at this photo:

Notice the difference in the angle of the plate and the mounting ring? if the ring was flush with the plate it would be at an angle where the tank would not interfere with the distributor.

Here is a close-up view:

Can the tub be bent so that the ring angle will align with the plate, or would that damage something? Just looks like a sloppy job putting the thing together. I really wish people would take more pride in their workmanship.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Try again on the pictures.....
Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgitchel View Post
Can the tub be bent so that the ring angle will align with the plate, or would that damage something?
Your pics did not get posted properly. I don't know whether you can bend it or not, but I will tell you the technique I use in circumstances like that. I just go ahead and try and bend it; if it brakes, it needed replacing anyway since it wouldn't work without bending it to begin with. That theory has worked well over the last 35 years or so... but I've replaced a lot of parts.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

im watching this thinking....darn there goes another way to save a few $$$$.....easier to write the check to Peter!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
im watching this thinking....darn there goes another way to save a few $$$$.....easier to write the check to Peter!
That's the problem. I did get it from ERA and paid $450. I don't know if I really want to risk braking it by bending it.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineslinger View Post
Try again on the pictures.....
That's strange, I uploaded them to my gallery just like the one in the first post. I can see them fine.

EDIT: the gallery wasn't marked public... changed it, so should see pics now.

Last edited by tgitchel; 11-05-2009 at 07:52 AM..
Old 11-05-2009, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's the problem. I did get it from ERA and paid $450. I don't know if I really want to risk braking it by bending it.
Maybe Bob has a comment now that you've established the apparent problem. I would get his input (or someone's, by calling ERA) before getting out the hammers.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's strange, I uploaded them to my gallery just like the one in the first post. I can see them fine.
They work now. Strange. Anyway, I would just go ahead and bend it. If it brakes, just tell Bob it came in the mail that way -- he'll never be the wiser.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

just send it back overnight!....they will fix you up !
Old 11-05-2009, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
They work now. Strange. Anyway, I would just go ahead and bend it. If it brakes, just tell Bob it came in the mail that way -- he'll never be the wiser.

Haha, yeah assuming he doesn't read posts in this forum... The shipper damaged my ceramic coated exhaust, so I guess what's one more part

Seriously though, how do you think I could apply enough force in the right location to bend the tube without cracking the solder at the mouting ring or the base of the tank? How would I even know if there was a minor crack that could get worse?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
just send it back overnight!....they will fix you up !
That might just be the best solution, but I would rather not. Since they will need to "repair" this one anyway, maybe I will try to bend it first or just get a radiator shop to do it.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now if I were bending it, I'd heat it up first. I wouldn't use a torch, instead I'd put the part I'm bending in a pot of boiling water for a while. I'd stilll end up braking it probably 60% of the time. Just ship it on back to Bob if you do.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

I revamped the forward pitch on the mine when I 180'd the outlet around to the drivers side. Take another look at the picture posted earlier and note the slight forward angle of the tank toward the nose of the car. You can uniformly heat one of the solder joints softening it enough to get the tank to shift a few degrees forward.

Last edited by lineslinger; 11-05-2009 at 08:36 AM..
Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineslinger View Post
You can uniformly heat one of the solder joints softening it enough to get the tank to shift a few degrees forward.
That requires too much skill. Just heat it up in a pot of water, bolt it to a 2x10 piece of wood, then bend it down to your liking. If it brakes, pop it in the mail.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I spent 10 years working a radiator shop and i probably repaired a thousand of those tanks, theres a reason Ford only used them for a short period of time(there not worth what they cost ) send it back and have them replace it or repair it, the bracket that runs up the back side from the tstat housing should be attached to the flange the tstat sets in and should be 90 degrees to that bracket and the tank should be about an inch out away from the intake manifold.I dont know why those dumba$$ tanks are so popular i would toss it and install an inline filler neck and not have any problems that they have and it would be a heck of a lot cheaper(450 bucks ???).....somebodys getting bent over just have that look of originality.........
Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

If you're not going to try to approach originality, there's no reason to even start with the general limitations of a Cobra. I am truly puzzled by those who build "a Cobra" that has so many alternate parts, design differences and compromises that only its shadow resembles the originals. If you want a completely different car, then build THAT car.

YMMV, IMHO, etc.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
...somebody's getting bent over just to have that look of originality.........
A succinct summary of the Cobra experience if I've ever heard one.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

the funny thing is i could buy the kit for 25 bucks and spend 20 minutes putting it together and could charge less than what it costs to take one appart and clean every thing and put it back together and they would end up with a new tank not some used pos......
If you want "originality" then buy an original........a fake is just that a fake.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is my understanding that the ERA tanks are new tanks manufactured specifically for them. Of course, I could be wrong.

The vast majority of posts I've read said to go with the ERA supplied tank and not mess with anything else. Seems there is no perfect answer...