Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
If you do that, just remember that not all hose is DOT-approved. Inspections, and all that...
Using your computer to print out "DOT Approved" stickers, and then wrapping them around your brake lines, does wonders to avoid that pesky nuisance....
Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you do that, just remember that not all hose is DOT-approved. Inspections, and all that...
How come you didn't tell me that when you sent me the big brake kit and steel hoses (16? years ago) Robert???
Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
How come you didn't tell me that when you sent me the big brake kit and steel hoses (16? years ago) Robert???
Ignorance is bliss.

The good part is most companies now offer the DOT-compliant hoses. That's what we've been supplying for about 10 years.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss.
It never bothered me---witness non-DOT harnesses, tires and brake hoses. Funny how stuff engineered for the stress of racing isn't deemed suitable to be legal for street use...Lotta geniuses in BIG GOVT...
Old 04-08-2012, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As far as I can tell, the only change in the hoses is some reinforcement where the line enters the end fittings. I suspect that it's supposed to idiot-proof the system so that hanging the caliper by the hose won't damage the line.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Well - I finally have 4 wheels mounted although I'm a long way from going anywhere yet.

As some suspected I might - I have a little intererence with the rear of the front wheel well lip on the driver side with the 26.9" tall tires. It's not much and might even miss with the suspension at ride heigth (and maybe not) but it looks like I'll have to shave a little off the lip there and get our my air brush for a little touch up. I'll wait until I get the motor/trans in, the suspension is settled some and I can adjust the caster which is at who-knows-where right now. The passenger side clears by about 3/4 inch. There's that "asymetrical" body again. In this picture I've turned the tire to the point it hit the lip. From the photo perspective it's hard to see the wheel is cranked around.

Last edited by DanEC; 04-14-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Well - I finally have 4 wheels mounted although I'm a long way from going anywhere yet.

Yes, you're well on the way. I was there several years ago too, but the build time flew by and before I knew it I was on the road. Good luck
Old 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Dan - you're front and rear tires appear to be different sizes. Aren't you building the street model?

Your paint job looks great!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscobra View Post
Dan - you're front and rear tires appear to be different sizes. Aren't you building the street model?

Your paint job looks great!
Yes and yes - it's a story of compromise. At the time I started Sumburst wheels were basically unobtainium (at least pricewise). The wide-hip street car body with 7-1/2 inch rear SC wheels all around was not my favorite look and Peter discouraging me from going with a widened rear suspension although in hindsight that might have been something I should have done as I would have gained room for the exhaust also. Also, although no stranger to fiberglass work having restored an old Corvette, I wasn't brave or disrespectful enough to start carving up the beautifully done ERA body to create a narrow-hip version. So, I ended up going with the wide-hip Street Cobra approach + day 1 (or day 2) when a lot of early owners switched to 7-1/2 & 91/2 SC or FIA wheels in order to fill out the rear fenders on the wide-hip models. Next, I had to go with something smaller in a tire in the rear so I can fit 2-1/2 inch tail pipes back there (ERA only uses 2 inch) which I wasn't willing to compromise on. A 255/60-15 tire came closest to fitting the bill and being tall enough to fill the wheel well. It was a little marginal in size for a 9-1/2 inch wheel but I like how it worked out. In picking a front tire I again wanted something fairly tall and the 60 series sizes just didn't size up like I wanted, so I went with a 215/70 tire that fits on a 7-1/2 wheel marginally about the same as the rear tires - giving real similar sidewall appearance. BUT - it's a 26.9 inch tall tire (virtually the same as rear) and about 1/2 inch larger than ERA recommends. Thus - I was watching for tire rub on the fender lip at the rear and sure enough on the driver side there is a little bit.

ERAStreet went with a different approach and he has a beautful car that is the wide-hip Street Roadster + day 0 with his Sunburst wheels all around. But, I wanted to fill the rear wheel wells with a little more tire and have big exhaust.

So, there - any of you future Street Roadster builders - are two general approaches.

Thanks

Dan
Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know it wouldn't be cost-effective for ERA to gear up separately for a narrow-hip 427 street roadster body - just not enough demand apparently. But - I wonder if they have ever considered moldiing up a set of outer rear fender sections matching the narrow hip car that would extend to the mold match lines surrounding the rear fender flares and wheel lips. If they included a recessed bonding flange it would be pretty easy for anyone with a little fibergalss skill to zip the SC fender section off at the mold lines, bond the new narrow-hip fender sections on and then dish grind and fiberglass everything together. They could sell them as an owner-installed option or even do it themselves.

Maybe something for Mr. Bruce to consider doing for ERA, FFR and Shelby fiberglass bodies.

Dan
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Street Cobra Gas Cap

I've been trying to figure out some sort of rubber grommet to use under my street roadster gas cap. (I know - it has a ribbed release button and isn't 100% original as a result). I finally went and rummaged through the plumbing department in Home Depot and found this one. The originals didn't use anything quite this finished from the pictures I've looked at - but this works so well and looks so good that I'm going to stick with it.

Does anyone know the correct orientation of the gas filler (hinge in back or front). Most seem to be installed with the hinge at the front but I have a picture of 428Street's car and it appears to have the hinge at the rear. I know how thoroughly he has researched original details so I'm left a little perplexed on this.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My picture of csx3360 shows the release button toward the back of the car.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I know it wouldn't be cost-effective for ERA to gear up separately for a narrow-hip 427 street roadster body - just not enough demand apparently. But - I wonder if they have ever considered moldiing up a set of outer rear fender sections matching the narrow hip car that would extend to the mold match lines surrounding the rear fender flares and wheel lips. If they included a recessed bonding flange it would be pretty easy for anyone with a little fibergalss skill to zip the SC fender section off at the mold lines, bond the new narrow-hip fender sections on and then dish grind and fiberglass everything together. They could sell them as an owner-installed option or even do it themselves.

Maybe something for Mr. Bruce to consider doing for ERA, FFR and Shelby fiberglass bodies.

Dan
I like the idea! More options for us picky types...
Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
My picture of csx3360 shows the release button toward the back of the car.
I think I'm going to flip it around to that direction. Makes sense somehow.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A bit more progress. About ready to start putting dampning material and insulation in. Also should be able to drop the engine in shortly. Summer heat is starting to slow things down however.

Here is the nifty, behind seat pocket that ERA reproduces for the street roadster.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Did your transmission tunnel arrive with the ashtray hole already cut?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Not sure on Dan's car but 99% no since there are very few street cars built...Dan, the snaps for the top of the pocket (2 on each side) should be lift o dot's not the black ones you have that are stock. Either is fine but if you want the small details you have it!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Dan:

My orientation is wrong!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
Not sure on Dan's car but 99% no since there are very few street cars built...Dan, the snaps for the top of the pocket (2 on each side) should be lift o dot's not the black ones you have that are stock. Either is fine but if you want the small details you have it!
Any idea why they even have snaps or lift-o-dots at the top of the pocket? Does it flap on the highway or something? I didn't test fit my side curtains to see if they would fit in there - it looks a little tight and I bought a storage pouch from ERA to store them in, in the trunk. But I wondered why the snaps?

Dan
Old 06-05-2012, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscobra View Post
Did your transmission tunnel arrive with the ashtray hole already cut?
Yes it did. I ordered it as an option so I they did the prep. I don't smoke - just another item towards period appearance.