Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique-289 Hipo-289 FIA
Not Ranked     
Default LED Brake lights

Hey guys...on my 289 FIA...I'm wanting to upgrade the brake light bulbs...is there some concensus about what bulb to use and are there any issues to be concerned about?...is this just a bulb swap or is there some adapter needed?...why not do the fronts as well...your ideas are solicited!...thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja289 View Post
Hey guys...on my 289 FIA...I'm wanting to upgrade the brake light bulbs...is there some concensus about what bulb to use and are there any issues to be concerned about?...is this just a bulb swap or is there some adapter needed?...why not do the fronts as well...your ideas are solicited!...thanks
It's just a bulb swap, and the one I listed in the very first post on this thread works great. Nothing to it -- but doing the rear lights and the front lights might affect your blinker. You won't know until you try.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 1022
Not Ranked     

Patrick if the blinker is an old style mechanical unit replace it with an electronic unit. LED lights don't create any amp draw to operate a mechanical blinker. Had that problem when I converted my tractor trailer to LED.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You know, I considered changing the front turn lights to the LED bulbs, but, after thinking about it, I never rely on anybody seeing those lights anyway (and they do seem to be decent for turn signals). In fact, on the few times that I really want someone in front of me to know that I'm turning, I use a hand signal -- I don't think they even teach those anymore in driver's ed.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info and update...I'll give these a try...yeah -hand signals-never thought that I'd use them again-but they work(!) and even saves time when you need to respond to the 'no-you with the Cobra-you go ahead of me' thing that happens from time to time...you all coming out to Laguna this year?? Regards!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

done that on my #1

Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Nice and bright!

Those look first rate...thanks
naja
Old 03-20-2012, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I ordered the RED 1157-R45-T bulb from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS -- they have 45 LEDs on them and are perfect for the rectangular, single bulb, rear lights that have the light vertically installed. I had the "extra bright" bulbs in there, along with the reflectors behind them, but the LEDs make a real noticable improvement. It's a five minute installation, and the turn signals work just fine. Here are some shots:

This is the bulb:

This is the OLD bulb, brakes lit:

This is the NEW LED bulb, brakes lit:

And this is both of them, LED on the left, bulb on the right, brakes lit:

I understand this is an old thread, any chance of seeing the original pictures? (I'm still reading through the other 11 pages)

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, SB 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I just installed the bulbs Patrick recommended; they are significantly brighter than normal 1157s. Thanks Patrick!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Good thread--wish I'd seen it before now.