Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default LED Upgrade to Rear Rectangular Lights

I ordered the RED 1157-R45-T bulb from www.superbrightleds.com -- they have 45 LEDs on them and are perfect for the rectangular, single bulb, rear lights that have the light vertically installed. I had the "extra bright" bulbs in there, along with the reflectors behind them, but the LEDs make a real noticable improvement. It's a five minute installation, and the turn signals work just fine. Here are some shots:

This is the bulb:

This is the OLD bulb, brakes lit:

This is the NEW LED bulb, brakes lit:

And this is both of them, LED on the left, bulb on the right, brakes lit:

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 12:06 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Cool comparison photo. Thanks.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Photos can be deceiving, but in the last photo the LED light looks more amber than red. Will it look red to the driver behind you?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Photos can be deceiving, but in the last photo the LED light looks more amber than red. Will it look red to the driver behind you?
Yes, it's nice and red. All of those 45 LEDs are in fact RED. It's hard to take a picture of a lit light bulb. They also sell an amber bulb just like it, but you wouldn't want that on your rear.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This shot is with the sun directly on the back of the car. Left side has the LED, right side as the "extra bright" bulb. The brake lights are lit, even though it's hard to tell that on the right side.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fifteen years ago (or more) Ron Francis was selling 'Bright Bulbs' to replace 1157's. I've had them since then and no one has been close enough to even see them...

Thanks. I think you have a calling as a Hand Model...
Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Thanks. I think you have a calling as a Hand Model...
Uhhh, not if you knew where those hands have been.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Were they expensive?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueoo7 View Post
Were they expensive?
$25 a piece. But ERAChas lent me the money and I'm going to stiff him on the payback, so I essentially got them for free.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I asked this a week or so ago. Any problems with the blinkers?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
I think you have a calling as a Hand Model...
Patrick's hands remind of another would-be hand model:

Old 07-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
No problem at all. It's just a siimple bulb change.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

It's likely that you'd run into a problem with the blinker switch if you tried to use the LED lights in the front and back.

I switched over to the Superbright RLX-3's a couple of years ago. It was a decent improvement over the stock lights, but nothing spectacular.

Patrick - Are the dimensions of the RED 1157-R45-T similar to the stock 1157 bulb?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Alright, I'm taking the plunge. Just ordered a pair. I have had comments that people can't see my brake lights that easily.

Are there super bright, non-LED, replacements for the front blinkers too? I just have the standard 1157s in there now.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Patrick - Are the dimensions of the RED 1157-R45-T similar to the stock 1157 bulb?
I'm going to say that the LED bulb is just a hair smaller than the regular bulb. Here's a shot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Alright, I'm taking the plunge. Just ordered a pair. I have had comments that people can't see my brake lights that easily.
Today is overcast so I paid particular attention to the color, hue, and brightness of the lights. I would now honestly say that the Cobra's lights appear to be "normal," whereas before they seemed to be dim, as compared to the typical brake lights that are in front of you 99% of the time.

Quote:
Are there super bright, non-LED, replacements for the front blinkers too? I just have the standard 1157s in there now.
There are, and they are a little better than regular 1157s, and Bob P. recently posted link to one place that sells them. That post was in the last two weeks. Do you have reflectors on the inside of your trunk in your Cobra? Or can you literally just reach in and put your finger on the bulb?

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 12:06 PM..
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks like a good up-grade, I might do this myself, thanks for the tip.

...you sure those aren't the hands of Stienfields girl friend?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
...you sure those aren't the hands of Stienfields girl friend?
Oh, the "man-hands" episode? That was a riot....
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
There are, and they are a little better than regular 1157s, and Bob P. recently posted link to one place that sells them. That post was in the last two weeks. Do you have reflectors on the inside of your trunk in your Cobra? Or can you literally just reach in and put your finger on the bulb?
I'll look for the post.

The CSX cars do not have reflectors and the bulbs are not accessible via the trunk. But with a little effort you can reach up inside the rear wheel well and remove/replace the bulb fairly easily. They are just sitting there in the open in front of the brake light lens.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The CSX cars do not have reflectors and the bulbs are not accessible via the trunk. But with a little effort you can reach up inside the rear wheel well and remove/replace the bulb fairly easily. They are just sitting there in the open in front of the brake light lens.
OK, the ERA lights are exposed in the back of the trunk. That's good for keeping them dry, but they can be damaged by stuff shifting around in your trunk (like a can of Fix 'o Flat). Plus the 1157 bulbs can get pretty darn hot and possibly catch a towel or paper on fire. To remedy that, and to increase the brightness of the rear lights, ERA sells these polished aluminum protectors, which work quite well. I'm guessing they would fit your CSX car too and they increase apparent brightness, ehhh I'm going to guess, about 25%. They would be very easy to fashion from my pic below.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
To remedy that, and to increase the brightness of the rear lights, ERA sells these polished aluminum protectors, which work quite well. I'm guessing they would fit your CSX car too and they increase apparent brightness, ehhh I'm going to guess, about 25%. They would be very easy to fashion from my pic below.
I'll see how it looks when I get the LEDs in without the reflectors. Right now I have standard 1157s with no reflectors, so I'm thinking it's going to be a big improvement and probably enough.

I also ordered the double filament 1157 replacements to add brightness to the front flashers as well. Ron Francis Wiring had them and was referenced in one of the threads on this subject.

www.partskeeper.com