Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #164 427 Med Rise Side-Oiler, 4 Speed Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Sway Bar Bushing Replacements?

I'm trying to replace the sway bar bushings on my ERA. The front end bushings are in the worst shape, however I figure I might as well replace the back end bushings while I'm at it.

ERAs manual lists "Suspension Techniques PA-75" bushings as the part number for the jag rear end bushings. That part number is no longer produced by Suspension Techniques. I would prefer not to have to go with a universal bushing kit if I don't have to. Does anybody know of a good replacement for the original PA-75 bushing set or is Suspension Techniques still producing it, just under a different part number?

The front end is a 15/16" sway bar and has a different bushing size, however from the markings on the bushings themselves, they appear to be Suspension Technique parts also. If you know of the part number for the front end bushing replacement that would be a big help as well.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Try just suspension.

Critical Mass Try just suspension. They sell hard rubber and poly bushings for stablizers bars if ERA can't get you a set. Do yourself a favor and drill a hole in the retainer plate and add a grease fitting to it. Drill a hole through the bushing to the bar. Every time you lube the front end, add a couple of squirts to the bushings. This way they will last forever. My set are 14 years old and 98% racing and still tight on the bar. Rick L.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick, I'll check them out.

I think I could probably get away with not replacing the sway bar bushings immediately. They aren't in the worst shape, but the end link bushings definitely need replacing so I figured while I'm at it, I'd get the sway bar bushings as well.

It wouldn't be so difficult but anymore nobody can help you find a replacement part unless you can tell them what make and model car you're trying to replace it from which obviously doesn't apply here. I can't stand that.

Maybe my memory is bad but 20 years ago it seems I could have walked into the local auto parts store and browsed through the suspension section at all the available bushing sets. They probably wouldn't carry the correct part for this application, but then the employees could look up the correct part by DIMENSIONS and order it for me. Today you walk in and ask for help and it's immediately, "ok, what kind of car is it". If you don't have a late make or model then you're out of luck because the parts aren't organized behind the counter by type, they're organized by brand and only locatable by searching for the vehicle type on the computer.

I guess I'll just have to rely on the internet from here on out.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have the ST bushings too. Memory is poor but if I recall, they are for Camaros/Firebirds of the early 70's, (third gen) like the front spindles from ERA. Bob P can shed more light on the parts-store app. Or you can remove an end link you have, take it to the store and compare to the F'bird/ Camaro parts.
Good luck.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

We now use Energy Suspension 9.5123.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds good. Thanks Bob. I may even be able to find the Energy Suspension parts locally.