Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 789 Build

I thought i would post up some pictures of ERA 789 being built as a roller with era outboard rear end, black leather interior, heat, oil cooler, tonneau cover, sc dash with glove box, sway bars, wind wings, visors etc... The original plan is to power it with a 390 FE (however the car is coming out so nice that plan may change) , TKO 600 and modeled after CSX3155. Walt at Conn Custom painted it Raven Black, side pipes to be painted VHT black.
Attached Images

Last edited by kgs365; 11-07-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default continued

more pictures...if anyone is in the new brittain area feel free to contribute
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
The original plan is to power it with a 390 FE (however the car is coming out so nice that plan may change) , TKO 600 and modeled after CSX3155.
I think that's a great combo. A nicely built 390 is just as good in these cars (for 98% of the driving) as the finest sideoiler or 428. The older I get, the more I believe that "less is more."
Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default painting by Walt

at Ct Conn Custom paint - Ford Raven Black a proper 1965-1966 color
Attached Images

Last edited by kgs365; 11-07-2010 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks Patrick...you guys certainly got me thinking...it may end up getting a 427 side oiler...the first go around with the 390 with a lot of go fast aluminum edelbrock parts only posted 370 hp and 450 ftlb torque...the motor had a bit of blowby ..i was trying to cut corners on machine work....it doesnt work!...
Old 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If the 370 number is measured "on the dyno with open headers" then yes that is a bit low. If I'm remembering correctly, Sal's CSX 4241 is one of my all time favorite cars on here and he had a 390 in it. If that 370 number is measured with the sidepipes bolted up to the exhaust and with the water pump being driven, then you might just want to go with it and see how often you're honestly saying to yourself "I'm at WOT and this anemic mill just ain't doing it for me." You do know that when most of us talk about our speed, power, torque, horses, etc. we're basically just full of shi*.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Beautiful car to replicate-great combination.

If you're particular, before the car leaves Walt, make sure he removes any possible overspray from the foot boxes, chassis and tin in the nose.

If you're not getting good power vs. value from your 390, I would drive it for a season to break the whole car in. Then consider a rebuild from Barry, who specializes in good, powerful 390 builds, next season.

Make sure you get the ride height right (low enough) when the car gets some miles on it.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I think that's a great combo. A nicely built 390 is just as good in these cars (for 98% of the driving) as the finest sideoiler or 428. The older I get, the more I believe that "less is more."
Don't listen to Patrick. Build a 427 sideoiler, whether vintage or aftermarket.

I love the look. I love Raven Black with the black sidepipes. Awesome. Best of luck. It'll be a beauty.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default yes 370 on the dyno

is not doing it...i fully expect after you choke it down with a small air filter and side pipes that would be a good place to end up...part of the problem is if your going to build a "nice house" you also have to furnish it!...i'm not sure i have the right furnishings at this point
Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
is not doing it...i fully expect after you choke it down with a small air filter and side pipes that would be a good place to end up...part of the problem is if your going to build a "nice house" you also have to furnish it!...i'm not sure i have the right furnishings at this point
If it was 370 with open pipes on the dyno, I agree with you; that's not going to be enough power. But that doesn't mean you have to go all the way to the other end of the spectrum on engine building/cost. Chas. gave some good advice on maybe tweaking up the 390. If you're having ERA do the entire build it will be beautiful, and they do a meticulous job, but you do need to keep an eyeball on the costs (and a new sideoiler build ain't cheap). You know, if it was me, I would probably do exactly what ERA Chas suggested. I would put the 390 in and enjoy the car and see what I thought. Then if I wanted more power I would just pull the engine, put it in a crate, and ship it off to one of the builders (at the end of the driving season). You'd have it back and in the car before the spring weather returned. I think that's a pretty good plan.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Then if I wanted more power I would just pull the engine, put it in a crate, and ship it off to one of the builders (at the end of the driving season). You'd have it back and in the car before the spring weather returned. I think that's a pretty good plan.
I've always had a motto.

First time, on time, one time.

For me, pulling and reinstalling engines is not easy. You're certainly increasing the probability for damage to occur and increasing the cost of the build.

Also, for me, and for me alone, I didn't want to have to explain why I didn't install a 427.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default touch it once

i agree the thought off putting in a temp motor then pulling it out...the risks of paint damage of a 500 lb motor swinging on a crane..just aint that appealing

Last edited by kgs365; 11-07-2010 at 01:34 PM..
Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, some of the parts on there now will bolt right on the new motor, like the alternator, starter motor. But you don't want to pull too much off since you probably want to sell the 390 and not just keep it in the back. Rod, what does a reasonably decent 427 cost now (meaning, all loaded up and delivered to your door, or ERA's door)?

Last edited by patrickt; 11-07-2010 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default this is where Rod and Patrick take over my checkbook

i dont think its going to be that bad becuase as patrick pointed out all the external parts will bolt up...its a matter of finding an old block (in Mass we have strict laws) and having it machined to be square, no cracks..etc then built..it wont be as bad as starting all over or buying a KB prepared motor..compared to the price of the ERA the motor is relatively minor..ha ha
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's one, but I'm in no way affiliated with the seller, just one example:

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=3315&cat=4
Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Here's one, but I'm in no way affiliated with the seller, just one example:

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=3315&cat=4
Very nice.... But, we need a carb, linkage, distributor, coil, front cover, balancer, alternator, starter, water pump, pulley, flywheel, oil pan... that's starting to add up.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
i dont think its going to be that bad becuase as patrick pointed out all the external parts will bolt up...its a matter of finding an old block (in Mass we have strict laws) and having it machined to be square, no cracks..etc then built..it wont be as bad as starting all over or buying a KB prepared motor..compared to the price of the ERA the motor is relatively minor..ha ha
Barry can build your 390 to a 445 with easily 100 more HP than you have for very likely under $10K using some of your parts. A Sideoiler would be near double that. I would include a link to his site but there are several broken links there. Including the 390 build.
Barry-what's up ?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's Keith Craft's website. $12,000 for a 390. From memory, you would probably add $4,000-$5,000 for the vintage sideoiler block. Maybe in this economy, even less.

http://keithcraft.com/ourengines4.html
Old 11-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A single roll bar Raven Black ERA with black sidepipes deserves a 427 sideoiler. What's $5K between friends.

Save the 390's and 428's for the silver/beige/titanium ERA's with two roll bars.

For $17,000, the owner of ERA #760 will sell you his sideoiler for $17,000 obo.

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...b-1224x814.jpg
Old 11-07-2010, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default thanks

i've got a 1967 block...its being evaluated to see if its useful...stay tuned...but i'm not going for 500 hp numbers nor $20K engine builds...but thats the problem the car came out nicer then then i expected and the 390 just isn't keeping with the rest of the car.