Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     
Default FE oil capacity when cooler and remote are dry?

I just installed the oil cooler and remote filter on my car. The engine is an FE with Canton road race pan. I filled with 8 quarts and primed the system and then started the engine to check for leaks. When the oil had a chance to drain back down I added oil until full on the stick.

It took 11 quarts. That seems excessive. The ERA manual says 7.5 quarts + .5 for the remote filter and .5 for the oil cooler for a total of 8.5 quarts.

I assume my dipstick is marked correctly. The engine was built by Danbury Comp.

Let me know your thoughts. If I have to I will drain the pan and add 7.5 quarts and remark my dipstick. My thought is some oil stays in the cooler and lines and may explain why I needed more oil than the book says.

John
Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I have an FE, Canton Road Race pan, oil cooler & remote filter. She takes just under 8.5 qts to hit the "Full" line on the dipstick.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Patrick -

Do you remember how much it took the first fill? I am hoping some oil stays in the line and oil cooler.

John
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Do you remember how much it took the first fill? I am hoping some oil stays in the line and oil cooler.
No, I don't remember. But I don't think the extra oil would amount to much more than maybe a quart, if that.

EDIT - the eight and a half includes the quart that I pour directly in to the filter.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks - I will go ahead and do an oil change and remark my dip stick.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

8.5 total ? with remote oil filter and cooler?

Well, I thought the pan alone was 9 quarts. Im not running a Canton, but an Armondo pan, which I believe to be the same.

Armondo pan is 9+ filter.

I am running 10.5 and I am alittle over my mark.

Not trying to sir the pot but if you not sure pull the and measure. Better to be safe than sorry.

BTW no cooler and filter mounted on motor by water pump
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Canton just doesn't hold as much. In their specs they say it's for an "8 quart system capacity." http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...ion&key=15-820
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I had a Canton road racing pan and with the cooler and remote filter set up it held about 10 1/2 quarts. And yes, oil does stay in the cooler and lines, but not enough to make any difference when you change the oil. I left that old oil in to give the new a little color as it was easier to see on the stick. And my pan was 9 quarts. I filled it before I put it on the car so I could see where the 9 quarts came to and that way I knew if my dip stick was reading correctly. Also the length of lines to and from the cooler and remote filters will make a difference. And remember the filter holds most of a quart when you put a new one on.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I also have an engine built by Joe Lapine with a Canton 8 qt pan, and cooler. My total when everything is dry is just a shade over 9 qt. I had to re-mark my dipstick as well since full is just under the "O" in Overfill marked on the dip stick.
I'd recommend that after the oil is drained you just put 8 qt in, give it a chance to drain down and remark your dipstick at that point.
DonC
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Canton road race pan, ford windage tray, duel oil filters, 2 quart accusump, oil cooler and lines. I blow out the lines when changing the oil. Twelve quarts to fill line.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Canton "trap door" road-race and cooler... 8 quarts

With my 2 quart accumsump... 10 quarts
Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

11 1/2 quarts with an Aviad pan. At 8 quarts, the high volume oil pump would suck the pan dry causing a lot of lifter noise after a long high rpm run down the interstate. I thought I had some type of major oiling issue. Turned out that it just needed more oil. I remarked the dipstick & all is well.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Call Canton and speak to one of their techs. I did when I had the same question. They will tell you that the pan (I have the same one) holds 7qts and the other 1qt is for the "system" getting you to their spec of 8 system qts. My guess is that the oil filter plus cooler and cooler lines is more like 1.5qts so 8.5 in total. I guess it could be more, but at this point I just put 7qts in the pan, fill the filter most of the way and then add another .5qts to top up the filter and any oil that drained from the lines.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Canton confirms the pan capacity is 7 qt. That pretty much matches up the Patrick and the ERA manual.

I just changed oil and filled with 7.5 quarts and marked for 1 quart low. Then added the 1 for a total fill of 8.5 quarts and marked.

Thanks.
John
Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Canton confirms the pan capacity is 7 qt. That pretty much matches up the Patrick and the ERA manual.
Yes, if the world would just listen to me everyone would be so much better off.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, if the world would just tolerate me everyone would be so much better off.
There Pat, fixed it for ya...
Old 02-26-2011, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 11.5 quarts with accusump

Grubby John I also have 11.5 quarts of oil in the car with lines,oil cooler, and accusump. Each motor is a little different and drain back in the motor may not be the same. I am sure you have done this all on level ground. I have the Tee pan from canton and fill the oil level to the bottom of the windage tray. I marked the stick for this level with cold oil. The rest was to run the motor and fill the oil cooler and lines. Re fill motor and let sit for 1 hour for drain back. I then added 3 quarts to accusump and ran motor. No air in sump. Let oil cool. Checked the level and pressurized system. I don't get crazy with draining all the lines and cooler on a change. My oil doesn't stay with the motor for more than 500 miles of racing.
Look at it this way, over fill the motor 1 quart. With it running you are sure to have the pickup covered and not get any air into the system. If you go racing, this is a whole different issue.
Your rear main seal may leak a little if you over fill, add cardboard under the car, AFTER the car has cooled off. See a couple of nice garage fires from hot cars and cardboard, not a pretty sight. Rick .
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default When Pat running for the white house??

Undy Any rumor to this??? Rick.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

10 1/2 quarts with an Aviad pan here...FWIW..I would listen to others as I am NOT an expert here. The gentleman that built my motor suggested 10 1/2 based on my style pan, the oil lines and front oil cooler.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
When Pat running for the white house??
Undy Any rumor to this??? Rick.
I think he's better thought of then the incumbent. stranger things have happened...

BTW... The diode took care of the run-on.