Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I bought my ERA 289 FIA without going to the factory. I researched Cobras for quite a while as I stashed cash to burn on this toy. I knew what I wanted.

I fell head over heels for the 289 FIA body. I did look at ONE down here in the SF Bay Area before I bought. I compared it to another brand and went with ERA. I have no disappointments whatsoever. I also built mine from the "basic kit". Great experience.

If you know that you are going with ERA then send in your deposit NOW and get into line. They'll call you when they are going to start work and need your second installment. At least that is how it worked when I bought mine.

In retrospect on the slabside, FIA or 427 decision, I have no regrets. I love my FIA and people flock to it even when I roll up to the local hardware store. Personally, I like the svelte body lines of the FIA or slab over the 427. And FE's sound like a PIA, so I'm very happy with a 302 (and I justed kicked off a 331 stroker build!).

But, I can imagine your quandry: picture a slabside with wires--absolutely classy, and a bit gritty with that 302; or, the svelte yet curvaceous body of the FIA. Either way, you can't lose. Have fun deciding, but get your deposit in!

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

October isn't bad. ERA has always had a wait. That's how they keep the doors open, "Back Log". Again, I don't think you need a flight to CT to see the place. Look at the ERA registry & see if you can contact an owner local to you.

http://www.eraregistry.com/RegionsNEW/Northwest1.htm
Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

American Airlines has a deal, round-trip SEA to BDL for $480. My leaky reservoirs cost more than that. And you could always take a page from Rodknock's book and just chat with Peter about maybe selling him a yacht and then write the whole thing off as a business expense.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooper View Post
Is there any way to change shape of pipes to make the run in and around the ERA rea end?
I looked very hard at doing this myself on my FIA with ERA rear suspension. It would be possible only with narrowish rear tires, 255 max. Or 275 with very small diameter exhaust piping. You would have to have the piping bends custom made or modified as the ERA rear exhaust is only for the Jag rear. This was the case at the time of my build. I ended up using side exit.
If your not a racer, then you would be satisfied with the Jag rear and the ERA rear exhaust kit.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the comments! Maybe I will end up having to go back to the factory.......I will need to see them all lined up to really see the differences.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments! Maybe I will end up having to go back to the factory.......I will need to see them all lined up to really see the differences.
Another idea... I believe you can send in your deposit to get in line without making a decision on the model. Confirm with Peter that they will indeed have each model lined up at the Carlisle show as an earlier post indicated. Then, go to the Carlisle show and see everything you need to see. If you have time, you could make a day trip from there to ERA (not during the Carlisle show, probably wouldn't make sense). Most important thing (since you indicated you've decided on ERA) is to get that deposit in. Otherwise, October will become November, December...

Regards,

Kevin
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
American Airlines has a deal, round-trip SEA to BDL for $480. My leaky reservoirs cost more than that. And you could always take a page from Rodknock's book and just chat with Peter about maybe selling him a yacht and then write the whole thing off as a business expense.
OK, that was funny.

FWIW, I didn't have to Provo, UT to know that I wanted a Kirkham, but I think it does help when you can't decide on various options and you can see first hand what the beans they're talking about.

As an example, I couldn't decide on the FIA versus S/C wheels, so they tried them both on for size and sent me pics, but being there would have made things slightly easier, although I'm more than happy with the way my car turned out.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Another idea... I believe you can send in your deposit to get in line without making a decision on the model.
Jcooper, here's a secret: The more money you throw at them the more you tend to get what you want. The only exception to that rule, that I found, was that you can not "bump up" your position in line. I tried to buy my way up in the chain and failed miserably.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
...although I'm more than happy with the way my car turned out.
Uhh-except for the wheels-right??
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Hey Chas, flushed the brake fluid this weekend and used Musselman's Apple Butter to do it. Think I'll stop any quicker?

Last edited by patrickt; 10-28-2016 at 08:09 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

At the speeds you travel that's just fine.
For next time, pick up Speed Bleeders and a vacuum bleeder. Much easier and more thorough.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, that would be correct, but at the time of purchase, "that" wasn't an option.

I'll solve the OP's problem. Just buy one of each.

Isn't Musselman a basketball coach?

Maybe I should pay $500 for a flight for Patrick to fly out here to get my car ready for Spring/Summer/Fall.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hate to break up the brake thing but some pics just like that showing the exhaust passing thru the rear end would be great!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I hate to break up the brake thing but some pics just like that showing the exhaust passing thru the rear end would be great!
That's my outboard braked rear. Last I heard, you can not get under car exhaust with that rear. Maybe they've made a breakthrough, though.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
cooper,
A call to Bob Putnam or Pete at ERA will solve many of these questions for you. As will a study of the ERA site-especially 'Owners Cars'-there are dozens to help you at least narrow to which type of car you prefer.
And someday in the future, you may post here "How do I best bleed brakes in an ERA??'
Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
And someday in the future, you may post here "How do I best bleed brakes in an ERA??'
I actually prefer a Hellman's Mayonnaise jar, but evidently we switched to the plastic squeeze bottle so I had to resort to the apple butter.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here you go - Chuck's build website shows his efforts to fit ERA undercar exhaust with the ERA rear. Chuck Brandt

I'm building an undercar exhaust car and ended up going with the Jag rear to make sure it would fit. ERA uses 2 inch pipe which is a little too small for a good size motor. They were not willing to venture into experimenting with a larger size pipe since they didn't know for certain what I would end up running in terms of wheels and tires. I'm running 255/60-15 tires on 9-1/2 inch wheels and I have about 3-3/4 inches of room so I feel pretty good about being able to snake 2-1/2 inch pipes through there now.

I have wondered if undercar exhaust couldn't be made to work with the ERA rear by running the over-the-axle pipe section up higher in the well well, but I suspect ERA has looked at this.

Also, I'm not personally a fan of the ERA tailpipes (sorry Peter). they don't drop down far enough past the axle and end up running at a downward angle out the rear. The originals came down slightly below the bottom of the rear fender tuck under and ran at a slight upward angle to the rear. You can see this in Chuck Brandt's photos in his build site. Another reason to have your own tailpipes fabricated.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Dan!
I will take a look at Chuck's site.
Do you have any pictures of how you ran your pipes?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Road trip

Jcooper J Like others have said, a business road trip to corp headquarters is needed. ERA makes quiet side pipes for street cars. Alot depends on the compression and camshaft profile for how loud the car is. If you run a wide profile tire, most have a 40 or 35 series side wall and no clearance. Have seen the starburst wheel on a street car with 428 power and looks nice. Car is a real cruiser. Car has taller tires in a 70 or 78 series in 15" this will give you ground clearance. I don't know if ERA has looked in Oval pipe for th exhaust but this will give you another 1/2" more of clearance. As others have said problem is size of pipe needed for motor to need. 2" is fine for a SB motor in duals. Anything over 400 cubie's needs min of 2.25 or better 2.50" pipe. It's a trade off. Good Luck, Come to Carlisle and check out the cars. Nice write off next 4/15/13 and by this time there will be a car in your garage. Rick L. Ps either motor will move this car along with ease. With a SB motor, wide ratio 5 speed with a 2.80-2.60 first gear and overdrive with a 3.31 to 3.54 ratio in the rearend. Rearend depends on tire size and torque band of the motor. BB motor with good torque is any choice you want. I have a mild motor with 3.31 gears and 6 spd trans with overdrive. I am going to a lower gear for next motor of 3.07 in the Jag rearend. Other side note is powersteering for the car. Good luck , have a safe trip. Rick

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 04-30-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Dan!
I will take a look at Chuck's site.
Do you have any pictures of how you ran your pipes?
I have not installed my engine yet so I'm not that far. The best I've done is fabricate a mock up of the exhaust tailpipes out of 2 inch schedule 40 pipe based on the outlet and location of the Spintech mufflers I'm using. I'm thinking about having a custom shop in our neighborhood bend up a set based on the mock up and try them out. The tailpipes are pretty simple as the alignment from muffler to exhaust tip is straight back - no lateral sweeps or bends at all. So it's basically just a 2-dimensional design. I haven't worked out all the hanger details yet. I'll see if I can put them back in this weekend and take a couple pictures.