Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Exhaust heat on rear brake line ?

My SpinTeck mufflers have a rectangular cross section instead of oval, and as a result the driver side muffler, inside edge is falling pretty close to the brake line run to the rear brakes - about 3/4 inches clearance. Aggravating that is that the heat is going to get trapped up there between the frame rail and the floor pan. My mufflers are ceramic coated inside and out (not sure how they do that but they only have baffles and no fiberglass or steel mesh) so that will probably help some.

Think this is a problem? I haven't filled my brake lines yet so I could install some sort of an insulator tube over that area without too much difficulty. Has anyone seen a insulator tube for brake lines?

Thanks

Dan
Old 01-05-2013, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I don't recall the brand name, but I used a heat shield sleeve like this to protect the brake lines near the exhaust on my car.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

You can eve use somthing as simple as a couple of loose layers of Aluminum foil out of the wifeys kitchen.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can fab a heatshield to fit area concerned and have it galvanised, just like a lot of factory heatshields.

Should reduce the temps by half.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i had some fire sleeve like aeroquip makes and was curious, so put some on a brake line i had laying around, took a heat gun and put it on the fire sleeve, til it was smoking, probably over 400 deg., and the brake line was still cold to the touch.

if in question easier to insulate now than later.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

My Q&D method: Slit some silicone tubing lengthwise, slip it over the steel lines, and secure with metal ties or stainless steel wire if necessary. The latter might not even be required with the heavier (1/8") wall stuff. Just harder to put on.
McMaster: silicone tubing

Caveat... The covering may encourage the tubing to rust over the long term.

Last edited by strictlypersonl; 01-06-2013 at 04:00 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the ideas and links. The split silicone tubing may be the easiest since there are one or two tube mounting clips up there above the muffler and I don't know if I can get to them without completely removing the muffler and tailpipe on that sid - a step backwards I would like to avoid.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

You might even want to wrap your muffler in header wrap. It is designed to keep the heat in.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist;1****51
You might even want to wrap your muffler in header wrap. It is designed to keep the heat in.
I have the mufflers ceramic coated and the floor pan coated in Lizard Skin ceramic coating. Plus two layers of sound deadner and insulation on the top side. Since the mufflers are very visible from the side, right below the rocker, I don't want to wrap them and have that show. Some sort of tube insulator for the brake lines sounds like the solution.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Stroked small block
Not Ranked     

I have used a Silicon-Coated Heat Sleeve (Fiberglass on the inside)from Thermo Tec. Looks great and easy to work with. You can get it for about half price from Circle Track Wharehouse in Mooresville, NC. 704-662-9570 They sale leftovers and used stuff from NASCAR shops. I love to take a long lunch and walk around
Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default Earl's "Flame Guard"

DEC,

I use Earls "Flame Guard" hose covering on the fuel lines in the engine compartment. Helps to plan ahead. Once the swivel fittings are installed you have to slit the fire sleeving and bind it up to get the sleeving on the line...

The smallest size for the hose covering I think is 3/8", pretty big for a brake line. Could do it, no one would see it, just would need to work around the small nylon clips/brackets that currently hold the tubing in place.

EARLS' also has a TAPE. Your brake lines are new, clean. The adhesive should stick well. Could wrap the brake lines with it in hot spots. Holley distributes Earls products.

Holley Performance Products Flame Guard Tape*731001ERL

Any inert tubing like the silicone Bob mentioned would probably be pretty effective.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 01-12-2013, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks - I ordered some thick wall, heat resistant silicone tubing from McMaster and slit it and slid it over the line. With the heavy wall I think it will stay wrapped around the line without clamps or anything. I think it was rated for 450 deg which should be enough with my ceramic coated mufflers and about 3/4 inch air gap.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

What would be the closest you can mount sidepipes to a fibreglass body?
I've got about 20mm, is that far enough?
JD
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
What would be the closest you can mount sidepipes to a fibreglass body?
I've got about 20mm, is that far enough?
JD
That's a little over 3/4 inch if I remember my metric conversion correctly. That is a little close but probably OK if you are not running lean and extra hot. But that is only a guess on my part.

You might be better off to post this as a separate post in the All Cobra forum section.