Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK here's a tip to help you guys (especially if you're chicken to get started) we professional picture framers use.

It's called a 'slip sheet'. When you have an area (any size) to have adhesive applied to (especially 'contact' with no repositioning time) you put a barrier sheet (which the glue will release from) between the glue and the piece, position the piece and slowly peel back the barrier while rolling the piece flat with a 6" rubber roller. This is how we mount movie posters or multiple small piece picture montages.

Now framers sometimes use foamcore mounting board which is adhesive on one side. That comes with a peel-away contact sheet which is discarded. But that sheet has a waxed-paper type finish on the face (and a paper back) which allows it to release from the sticky side of the foamcore. We save these sheets and use them as slip sheets for these type of adhesive mounting jobs.

NOW-you have to test for your own application. Gather a roll of ordinary waxed paper, a swatch of your vinyl, a scrap of aluminum and your particular adhesive. DO NOT USE 'SARAN'-TYPE CLING WRAP!)

Coat the vinyl and aluminum, cut an oversized piece of waxed paper and position it between. Place vinyl down on one thin exposed edge and slowly peel back the wax sheet evenly, while lightly pressing the the vinyl as you go. When the sheet is removed, the vinyl and aluminum should be pressed flat with some strength. Use kitchen rolling pins of smaller sizes-works great.
NOTE: If you use actual slip sheet and not waxed paper, only apply adhesive to the aluminum side, not the vinyl side. The paper side of the slip sheet would stick to the glue if you do both surfaces. Should still hold the vinyl just fine, even in sun's heat.

No bubbles, no wrinkles and placed accurately. You can do this on vertical surfaces like the rear bulkhead (just use dabs of tape on the top edge of the slip sheet to be your third hand) or flat like the dash on a worktable.

This is much harder to write about than to do once you've practiced enough.

If you want the real stuff go to the art supply store or on-line sites like Dick Blick and get adhesive foamcore, rubber rollers, sharp cutting tools, etc. The foamcore is great for making templates when fabricating parts.

This is why your grand daughter's 8 x 10 costs $300 matted and framed...there's a lot goes into the making.

Write back if you have any questions.

Last edited by ERA Chas; 04-10-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Wow Chas - I wouldn't have suspected you were so "artsy".

Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Wow Chas - I wouldn't have suspected you were so "artsy".

Thanks
A. Look at my car.
B. NOT just a pretty face...
Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Any progress Frank?

I started to get around to the process of ordering foam and vinyl for mine to get started but the more I study the rear bulkhead, the more I'm convinced there isn't a practical way to cover it with a single sheet of vinyl. It looks like 3 pieces with some sort of vertical lap or seam at the inside edge of both wheel closure panels would be necessary. Were you planning to do it in partial panels?

Dan
Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

I've stalled on the job for no other reason then time. I was never going to use just one piece. I took out old carpet in tack and used them as templates for the foam backing and vinyl pieces I am using.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Were you planning anything in terms of the exposed vinyl seams - a rolled and stitched edge or just glued flat?

Thanks Frank
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Peter said his original cars vinyl was put on like shingles...no rolled edge, no stitching...plain Jane
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
Peter said his original cars vinyl was put on like shingles...no rolled edge, no stitching...plain Jane
Thanks - I may be able to handle that. Guess I'll give John a call tomorrow.

Dan
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Just pulled the rug, cut out and added an FIA bump, vinyled it in 3 pieces. It looks great with the bolt covers and radius rod covers back in I'll have to reshoot the picture.
KevinW likes this.

Last edited by mickmate; 05-01-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post

Just pulled the rug, cut out and added an FIA bump, vinyled it in 3 pieces. It looks great with the bolt covers and radius rod covers back in I'll have to reshoot the picture.
Nick - I take it that is a 289 car. Do the roll bar legs run in the trunk on those cars? That bulkhead panel looks about as convoluted as the one in our ERAs so maybe with a heat gun and some stretching and shoving we can successfully vinyl our bulkheads too.

Dan
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

That's a 427, 289 didn't have the FIA bump there. Time to re-shoot with other bits installed. The seams on the center panel finish up behind shoulder strap escutcheons which worked out very well.