Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     
Default Start of rear vinyl project

So I going to be installing vinyl behind the seats like the original cars had. This is the start of my project. Stay tuned.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Frank - I will be watching closely as I'm ready to do my carpet. Did you not have some vinyl in the center area? Or did it not span enough of that area? My car came with a large piece of vinyl to put on the center part of the rear bulkhead. Are the instructions in the newer manual for installing vinyl fairly correct?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Yes Dan the vinyl gets glued to the service panel and the sides along the bottom as well. You should be able to see that in my picture. The car comes with carpet for the two "wheel well" areas directly behind the D/P seats and right above the service panel. I'm replacing those pieces with vinyl (3 carpeted piecs) so it will be like an original car.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I was thinking my set had vinyl above the service panel but I'm probably mistaken. It's probably the same as yours. I'll look forward to more pictures.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I started cutting the vinyl in place today and ran into some questions/concerns. Working with the vinyl is much different then the carpet for starters. There is no forgiveness. I believe I have to work from the bump out, meaning I need to glue the "bump" (wheel well) in place first, then work towards all the edges. Jack from ERA gave me some white backer to glue between the vinyl and the body so the there are no bumps, imperfections or cracks that are present on the body.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

I had a go at this on my car, but i made several different panels so that its all removeable. UK regs mean i had to add a slit for the inertia reels, which can eventually be covered by the FIA suitcase panel.

hopefully these pics will load:

DSC00591 - Cobra Club Gallery

and the door skin, ala CSX4027
crendon door skin test fit - Cobra Club Gallery

Good luck with it - its worth it!

If you have problems getting vynil to fit, borrow your wife's hairdryer and gently heat the affected area - the heat is gentle enough to allow you to tug at the vynil around awkward areas, but not so strong as to melt and distort the vynil itself. Often easer with an extra pair of hands to hold one end of the sheet, and the other pair of hands to tug it into position before the contact adhesive takes. If the vynil gets burning hot to the touch, then stop - you've over done it.

btw, the hair dryer might overheat...... if you leave it for 1/2 hour it should recover,..... usually.

Last edited by KevinW; 03-11-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks Kevin...
Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was expecting to have to use an underlayment under my vinyl also. I have a roll of UV window shade material I was thinking of trying. What does the stuff Jack provided look like?

Dan
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1/16th inch white foam is the best I can describe...
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

I'll be watching this also. I'm just about ready to start my carpet and I also considered putting vinyl on the back panel. I would like to do something different and do a tuck and roll panel on the back flat panel on top of a piece of hard board so I can remove it for repair if necessary and to cover up the rivets so they won't telegraph through the vinyl.

Curious to see how yours comes out so I can decide if my idea is worth the effort.

Bob
Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update. No pics but I took all the old glue off over the weekend. I used 3M adhesive remover (red and white can) and brushed it over the old green glue. I started to use a scraper but found in the end my fingers, specifically my thumb was the best tool. Looks like there never was glue on the panels before. After this I applied a coat of black silicone over the gaps in the panels to try and smooth out as much as I can. I'll need to make a couple of passes to build it up.

This week I'll apply the white foam back (about 1/16 of an inch) to the vinyl I bought from ERA...then the fun begins!

My thought is to glue it on in stages. I'm going to glue the humps first, let it sit and work my way out to the edges. I don't think it would be wise to do them all at one shot as those humps could be tricky.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Frank - do you have a heat gun? You may need one for around the wheel well humps to work the underlayment and the vinyl in smoothly. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do have a heat gun and I'm not afraid to use it!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Tips

I have installed vinyl on my backwall. It's been in service for two years now, I have some tips for you to consider:
  1. The glue you use should be a high temperature type for interiors. There are different types and even some of the hi-temp contact cements will not hold.
  2. I found the edges, if trimmed close to the carpet edge, tend to pull up when the glue softens or the vinyl shrinks. I ended up using a strip of aluminum to serve as a trim piece that doubles as a clamp.
  3. If you don't want the edges to have trim or some form of clamping device, lap your edges under the carpet three or four inches and let the carpet serve as a hold-down

It looks great, but isn't an easy install and can be problematic if not done properly.

Paul
Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Paul. U have any pics? Ya, this is not easy for sure...You have an ERA? I got the glue, backer and vinyl from ERA so I assume it's all going to work. I spoke to Jack a bunch of times and he told me to make sure all the glue is off and use the backer...
Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Pic's

Here's a picture of my cars backwall. Note the thin aluminum clamp strips I had to add.

The car is a Hurricane, not an ERA but very similar.

Paul
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the pic. The car might be similar but the rear cockpit is completely different compared to what I am dealing with. Regardless, you did a nice job and I see the metal strip along the bottom.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How's it going Frank?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stalled as I'm to afraid to do it myself...everything is cut out and ready but having second thoughts as seems like anyway I look at it I have one shot once I stick it on and I've been told that the summer heat is my friend...it isn't that warm up here yet...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
Stalled as I'm to afraid to do it myself...everything is cut out and ready but having second thoughts as seems like anyway I look at it I have one shot once I stick it on and I've been told that the summer heat is my friend...it isn't that warm up here yet...
Probably so. I assume this is one big piece of vinyl. Are you going to apply contact cement to just the center section first - apply the vinyl and smooth it out? Then do one side and then go back and do the other? I guess you can do it in as many increments as you feel comfortable with. That inside corner at the bottom step is probably one of the trickiest areas. If there is any tension in the vinyl when applied across it, it will tend to loosen up in a bubble.