Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2015, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

One more....
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2015, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Even if yours is set lower, you could also fabircate a bar pretty easy to make it catch. I got tired of locking stuff in the trunk and this made it a whole lot easier. I am not sure I even cut the leather to put it in. Marked the hole to match the size of the mechanism, drilled, inserted the mechanism and adjusted and it turned out great. Sometimes my door sticks a little, but that helps leave it in the unlocked position most of the time. When i want to lock it I have the keys out of the ignition.

Phil
Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Nice pics Phil, thanks.
I just took a couple of pics of my setup. I also took the catch mechanism off to see if my door would stay shut.; no way, it would open as soon as I give it 1/4 throttle ...lol.
I think I would probably relocate the catch mechanism/assembly
Attached Images

ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The mounting looks like the exact same place. I removed the catch mechanism when I put the lock in. I toyed with that idea, but was afraid it would change the looks too much. You could just leave the key in with it in the locked position as the lock comes with two keys. Mine fits pretty tight so I cannot open it with just the resistance of the key. I was just hesitant to drill another hole for the pulling mechanism. I will have to look at how Superformance does it as I think they have a setup that works.

Phil
Old 06-22-2015, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just found this on line. I may add the pull tab.

You can get it here:

https://www.pro.tuffyproducts.com/p-...tton-lock.aspx

Phil
Old 06-23-2015, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Yes Phil, you're right. I totally forgot or did not think it thoroughly. I definitely do not want to add a hole or mess up the look! I like the idea of fabricating a pull tab and adding to what you already have installed in you car. Then it would look just like the pics I saw on site that you provided. Although it is cheap enough as long as you don't get killed on shipping. I would buff it out though
Dave
https://www.pro.tuffyproducts.com/p-...tton-lock.aspx
EDIT: Just looking at it again, they make this out of regular steel so it cant be polished. I would make an attempt to make it out of aluminum or SS so I could polish it to match the lock ring and the rest of the shiny stuff in the car

Last edited by davids2toys; 06-23-2015 at 06:32 AM..
Old 06-23-2015, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I talked with the Tuffy folks who did not think either would work for our application. I think I will go the same way you are thinking and fabricate a pull tab.

Phil
Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I wonder if a short black leather strap pull (piece of looped and sewn leather) could be punched at the end to be sandwiched between the glove box door and the outer key receiver. It could be just long enough to grab with your fingers to pull it open.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,

Great minds think alike as I was just thinking that. Getting a black strap and actually putting into the hole in the locking mechanism that goes through the dash. It should work great! I will post pics when done!

Phil
Old 06-23-2015, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This sounds good too. Are you going to put back the catch and catch receiver to the inside of the box? Now you wont have another hole on the out side and the catch will insure the door stays closed until you are ready to open it!
Yes, please post pics. Maybe consider making them and selling a few to those of us who would like the locking glove box
Old 06-23-2015, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just found this, but I don't think it will look to hot in a Cobra.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-221831-1-Surface-Mount-Locking/dp/B001HBR0EA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435119900&sr=8-4&keywords=sea+dog+lock"]Amazon.com: Sea Dog 221831-1 Surface-Mount Locking Ring Pull: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WdOj%2BzeGL.@@AMEPARAM@@51WdOj%2BzeGL[/ame]
Old 06-23-2015, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

just ordered the sea dog lock, but i bought it on ebay and saved 5 bucks in shipping

Sea Dog 221930 1 Stainless Steel Cam Lock | eBay
Old 06-29-2015, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I actually ordered a new one after I damaged the first one in removing it to fit a strap in. Got a new one, put a black strap and it works. The Sea Dog works will with the ERA dash. You have to be carful not to enlarge the leather opening, but it can be easily done.

Phil
Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
I actually ordered a new one after I damaged the first one in removing it to fit a strap in. Got a new one, put a black strap and it works. The Sea Dog works will with the ERA dash. You have to be carful not to enlarge the leather opening, but it can be easily done.

Phil
My lock came in today's mail.
Can you post the pics of the leather strap you made?
Thanks
Old 07-09-2015, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nomeyko View Post
The glove box lock from A.H. Spares LTD does not fit a Superformance Mark III. The glove box door is too thick for the lock.If anyone is looking for one contact me. 25% off list.
I may be interested and sent you a PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry gents on the lack of pics. The strap I had did not work so well so I think I will go back to making a pull tab. When I get it done, I will post pics.

Phil
Old 07-11-2015, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Sorry gents on the lack of pics. The strap I had did not work so well so I think I will go back to making a pull tab. When I get it done, I will post pics.

Phil
What went wrong with the strap?
Old 07-11-2015, 07:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
What went wrong with the strap?
Ehhh, just as well. Personally, I've always catered to the strapless look....
Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Davids 2 - I just put the strap between the hole for lock and the dash itself and it pulled loose. My dash fits a little tight. I am sure it will work, but i think I like the tab idea a little better.

Patrick - I tend to agree...But those things can be more expensive than Cobras!

Now I think I will give up for now and with all the rain in Ohio I am back to looking at Lemans hard tops.

Phil
Old 07-14-2015, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, that would make sense since there is no meat holding it in place beside the outer chrome ring. I guess it is back to the tab!