Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mrmustang
  • 1 Post By Dwight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Here's Another Part that ERA Should Sell to Us

I've been meaning to fashion a nice battery-to-frame ground for some time now. This piece is 4 gauge solid core copper, with the eyelets crimped and torch-soldered. My cost for parts might be about three bucks. Bending it so that it's a simple, drop in, plug and play, for the battery to frame took a little time. I think a fair price for this might be around thirty dollars. I'm sure ERA has some sort of machine that would bend it perfectly every time.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-28-2016 at 08:39 AM..
Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Better patent that before ERA starts producing them. Who knows, the profits may be enough for Ellie to build her own cobra
Old 04-05-2014, 03:19 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Patrick,

The problem with a mount like that is that over time, the solid copper will break due to vibration and chassis flex. Could be one season, could be three, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

Bill S.
mln385 and SPF1061 like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-05-2014, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

OK Patrick - your electrical flunky here. I'm not sure I follow the point of this. My old Corvette doesn't have a neg battery terminal to frame ground and they are notorious for having to ground everything due to the fiberglass body. I don't even have a drivetrain to frame ground on my ERA (but I ordered one from McMasters and intend to install it at the transmission) - and I haven't noticed any issues with grounding. I assume this is just precautionary or have you noticed a problem?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Patrick,

The problem with a mount like that is that over time, the solid copper will break due to vibration and chassis flex. Could be one season, could be three, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

Bill S.
Ya I agree, nice job but I think a #4awg MTW might last longer in our car's with the vibrations.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
By the time that guy vibrates apart, I will long be dead and buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
OK Patrick - your electrical flunky here. I'm not sure I follow the point of this. My old Corvette doesn't have a neg battery terminal to frame ground and they are notorious for having to ground everything due to the fiberglass body. I don't even have a drivetrain to frame ground on my ERA (but I ordered one from McMasters and intend to install it at the transmission) - and I haven't noticed any issues with grounding. I assume this is just precautionary or have you noticed a problem?
No problems, just tweaking. But if you want to know whether your frame is properly grounded, turn on your lights and fans and put an inductive ammeter around the little black wire that runs from the passenger side cylinder head to the firewall. If it's carrying more than 15 amps, do some additional grounding.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You absolutely want a ground from battery to frame and engine to frame!!!! I welded three transmission shift cables before I figured out what was going on when I forgot to reconnect the ground from the engine to frame. You probably are getting your ground through your motor mounts, if you werent the car would not be running.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also run a braided strap from the intake manifold to the firewall. But in order to get that "little black wire" (which was originally the only ground source to the frame other than nuts/bolts/cables) down to under 15 amps with all of my fans and lights on, I needed a third ground. That little black wire appears to be 14 gauge.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-28-2016 at 08:39 AM..
Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
By the time that guy vibrates apart, I will long be dead and buried.
Patrick,

It's your car, you do with it what you want, but you'll be alive when it happens unless you do not plan to be around in the next 1-3 years. The real question is, will you be man enough to admit it when it happens?

Bill S.

PS: There is a reason why regular ground straps are made of stranded or braided materials, same goes for your battery cables. Think about it for a while, you'll figure it all out I'm sure of it.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... will you be man enough to admit it when it happens?
Why would you think I might not?
Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Why would you think I might not?
Oh, I don't know. Maybe a check of your prior 15,384 posts might give you a clue.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Oh, I don't know. Maybe a check of your prior 15,384 posts might give you a clue.
Which one did you have in mind?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Pat,

I would go with the stranded wire in this case which has some flex. Solid copper would also tend to vibrate more over time since it does not flex. However, I would use solid for very short runs.

Phil
Old 04-05-2014, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh by the way, that engine is way to clean. I could eat off of that. You must have solved all your oil leaks! (:

Phil
Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I know this is not a ground wire answer but Dell City sells a lot of electrical stuff for cars.

I buy connectors by the hundred, wire loom by the roll, relays ten at a time and they are cheaper than the parts store's single item.

Dwight

Del City - Electrical Supplies & Professional Grade Wiring Products
427sharpe likes this.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Waytek Wire is your best electrical parts supplier for automotive....was in wire harness business 12 years....spending thousands annually with these very dependable people...
Old 05-16-2015, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just ran a braided ground wire from the starter base to the transmission ground. It fit perfect. I cannot imaging anything that is not grounded now!

Patrick - If you are thinking of going the way of all men in the earth early perhaps you could donate your can to Dan or me. I think we could use all of the spare parts.

Phil
Old 05-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post

Patrick - If you are thinking of going the way of all men in the earth early perhaps you could donate your can to Dan or me. I think we could use all of the spare parts.
I have no plans at the present....
Old 05-16-2015, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

FYI
If you do not have a good ground between the engine and the chassis and chassis to the battery the electrical current will create its own ground path, this is not a good for your mechanical components! The current will travel through whatever means possible to get back to the battery and completing the circuit. The current can travel through bearings and races, gears, etc. and cause pitting and ultimately failure in those components.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I have seen the many ground posts. I have many grounds throughout my vehicle and at the present, have no issues.

Phil