Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     

Thanks, guys. My current car is in the same power-to-weight league as a 400HP Cobra, but it's riding on grippy 285mm rear tires. The reassurance that a slabside is manageable with a small-block and period-correct rubber is just what I was looking for. Lots of great pictures and beautiful cars, BTW.

Bill
Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

I like the lean & mean look of a 289 FIA model....having said that, I have a 427 body (not ERA) in street trim with bumpers and side exhausts. It was too good a deal to pass up. Am I happy? Sure am...I'll own a 289 model someday and for now the 427 is a great toy. Mine is a daily driver that gets left in a mall parking lot during the day. Every now and then I turn the key and the windshield wipers start and I know somebody has been messing with the toggle switches, but other than that the general public has been very respectful.

Don't worry that you'll feel shorted on attention, no matter which choice you make. You generally don't have to worry about daddy who is just in awe at the idea of driving one of these, you have to worry about his 2 year old with the ice cream because Daddy's attention is on the Cobra...it's that way everywhere you go. I think the 427 model would garner more attention with the general public, but among cobraphiles and other assorted car nuts the 289 will probably be the attention hog just because there ARE so many 427's.

Take driving lessons...they can be very quick to switch ends, and particularly the 427 models in water, what with their wider rear tires and all that low end torque of the FE.

The older I get the more I like the idea of a slabside with wire wheels

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Bill,

Lots of great advice here and you can’t go wrong no matter which one you choose.

For me, I have always gravitated towards the 289 cars. From the slab side street cars, to the comp cars to the FIAs. The 289 with it’s balance of handling & performance with those classic lines is a Cobra to me. When I started my ERA FIA project, the ERA slab side was not yet available, so I did a ’street’ version of an FIA.

It’s interesting that about 70% of the 60’s originals were 289 cars, yet the vast majority of the continuation / replica / tribute Cobras are 427s. It’s probably the lust for more power that tips the scale towards the 427s and they are indeed very impressive.

Like the guys said, you need to decide for yourself, but either way you are in good company. Welcome to the club and best of luck with your project!

tkb

xb-60 likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

To make the decision harder may I remind you that AC in England sold the 427 narrow hip body with a 289/302 Windsor motor. Those cars had wire wheels and were built for domestic (UK) and export like Germany or Australia.
Maybe that would be the way to go.......
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewegener View Post
To make the decision harder may I remind you that AC in England sold the 427 narrow hip body with a 289/302 Windsor motor. Those cars had wire wheels and were built for domestic (UK) and export like Germany or Australia.
Maybe that would be the way to go.......
That has always been an interesting combination to me...the 427 body style with wire wheels. I had no idea they were offered from the AC factory in that trim.

I sure would like to see photos...not a big fan of the wide body rear fenders on my replica, they seem to stick out too far and look like they were a last-minute addition that just didn't pan out like somebody had hoped.

Since I do not track my car or use it on the drag-strip (yet) I don't necessarily need a 12" wide tire on the rear end...although most people say they really like that look, I would prefer a bit narrower body style and tire width. My car hydroplanes at the least little touch on the throttle if the streets are wet at all...a narrower tire (like would be on a 289 street model) might well reduce that tendency somewhat.

Cheers!!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

A narrow hip ERA 427 Street Roadster is always another option.

The making of a 427 Narrow Hip Cobra starts now!!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

My 427 ERA is nimble, easy to drive, comfortable on long trips and quiet enough to talk to the passenger.

My wife and I take the Cobra on long trips all the time. This will be our 4th Hot Rod Power Tour. She even drives sometimes. At 70mph we can have a normal conversation. If it rains I put the top on.

I have a 428 stroker with 500 hp that delivers 18+mpg on the highway and is not fussy about the heat.

Pick the car that excites you. I dreamed of a 427 for 30 years.

John
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

The solution should be clear (certainly it was to Murky Waters and to me); get both...

...and it was the only way to have peace in the house; my wife wants to drive, not ride.

Jim
Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=YerDugliness;1294654]

I sure would like to see photos...QUOTE]

Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

If I could have another...
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Oh, you mean like this?

(One is an ERA and the other CSX3252)

Jim
Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes,Jim. YES!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Happy Spring Jim. Hope you survived the winter and we both know that if our good wives are happy, then we are happy. Besides that, I can't hear her over my sidepipes. Spring cruise? Hope to see you soon
Old 04-09-2014, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Forgot to add these.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
If I could have another...
Some do like the wide hip street roadster look. 428Street is another one. There's something for everyone.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

But they are all attractive, in their own way.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     

Wow, I hadn't really appreciated the narrow-hip 427 before - but the photos on this thread and in the Colin Comer book really show its appeal. Looks like a pretty major project to derive one from an ERA, but as metal-morphous's photos show, it's doable.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Both ERA cars are very desirable options. If the chosen body style is 289 FIA or more particularly, 289 roadster, an observer would be more likely to assume the car is a '60s car and not a replica, if that's what you're after (and most of us are chasing some degree of authenticity).
If wire wheels and comparatively skinny tyres are still an issue for you, 'kidney bean' wheels are available.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-11-2014, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintubi View Post
Wow, I hadn't really appreciated the narrow-hip 427 before - but the photos on this thread and in the Colin Comer book really show its appeal. Looks like a pretty major project to derive one from an ERA, but as metal-morphous's photos show, it's doable.
Just throw some narrow wheels on, hide the exhaust & X the roll bar. Sounds easy coming from my mouth....
Old 04-11-2014, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes - but Metal-morphous is planning to cast molds of the fenders from the one they are building now. That makes it a lot more attractive option for someone is isn't afraid of some fiberglass work - but might be a little put off by major fiberglass surgery. I've replaced a quarter panel on a Corvette before but I wasn't ready to tackle building new fenders from scratch on my car. It's an option.