Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     
Default Adjusting Shocks

Ok, so I want to stiffen up the rear shocks on my ERA. I noticed a screw on the side of the shock. Do I simply turn that screw in one direction? I have the Spax units. I can post a picture if necessary.

Phil
Old 04-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Ok, so I want to stiffen up the rear shocks on my ERA. I noticed a screw on the side of the shock. Do I simply turn that screw in one direction? I have the Spax units. I can post a picture if necessary.

Phil
Maybe somebody monkeyed with them. Try adjusting them all to five clicks from "dead soft." Using a dime, turn the adjustment screw counter-clockwise until you can't feel it click anymore. Then turn it five clicks the other way and test it out.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Phil,

The dampers have 28 "clicks" of adjustment. Soft is counter-clockwise as Patrick indicated. ERA sets their factory assembled cars in the middle at 14 clicks if that's any help. The Spax documentation suggests starting at fully soft and turning them in 4 click increments and continue to do so if the driving experience improves. Once the driving experience worsens, begin backing them off one click at a time. Again, that is paraphrased from their manual.

Kevin
Old 04-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

And the way you will know you have gone too far is to drive the car over some really bumpy roads -- first just to see if the car really bounces over the bumps. Then just add more clicks to increase the stiffness until the car misbehaves over those same bumps, then just take the clicks back. You can do this with a dime out on your favorite road. Just go up and down over the bumps until you figure out what the clicks are doing. You make the changes by the side of the road. It's pretty easy. If you're understeering or oversteering, changing clicks is not the answer.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

They may have changed the design slightly since I got my car - don't need a dime - there is a thumb screw that can be turned by hand. Regardless, you've got the picture.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, here's the old SPAX...

Last edited by patrickt; 10-28-2016 at 08:40 AM..
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Here's a Quiz...

From the pic, which shock is that?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

The dirty one.

sorry. Just came to me.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, so why wouldn't I just go 3-5 clicks clockwise to be a little stiffer? What is gained by starting off at the softest setting? I assume I am doing this to all 4 shocks.

Phil
Old 04-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ok, so why wouldn't I just go 3-5 clicks clockwise to be a little stiffer? What is gained by starting off at the softest setting? I assume I am doing this to all 4 shocks.

Phil
Because you don't know what the last person did and they could all be set differently. Always start your changes from a known setting. And always assume the previous guy was a moron. That way you'll never be disappointed....
Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am about to start adjusting them. I have some wheel hop under hard acceleration and would like to solve that. I will do as Patrick said and go all the way counterclockwise and then go to 5, 10, etc. It did not really feel like they clicked much. Is it a noticeable click, or a full 180 degree turn?

phil
Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I would turn one counterclockwise to the stop and then turn it clockwise to the other stop - while counting clicks. The clicks are not sharp and are a bit in-distinct, especially in the counterclockwise position, but you should feel them if you go slow. There are probably 5 or 6 per complete revolution. You need to go all the way form stop to stop becase there are several different models of SPAX shocks in use. My rear ones only had around 10 clicks or so. My front ones had 33 clicks. Several have reported theirs have 28 clicks. (??) Stiffening up the shocks might help axle hop a bit but from what I remember reading (haven't turned the tires on my car yet) it may take some stiffer bushings in the trailing arms.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Dan and Pat. I will give it a try this weekend. I would give up some comfort just to not have the rearend bounce under hard acceleration. I cannot get to it till the weekend so we will see what happens.

Phil
Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Dan and Pat. I will give it a try this weekend. I would give up some comfort just to not have the rearend bounce under hard acceleration. I cannot get to it till the weekend so we will see what happens.

Phil
Let us know if it seems to help the wheel hop any.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Some of the Spax shocks have 28 clicks of adjustment, and some have 10. A have a couple of each on my car. On each shock, turn the adjustment screw all the way either CW or CCW, and then back the other way full stop, and count the clicks. Then start in the middle position and adjust a little bit at a time CW to stiffen them, or CCW to make them softer. Mine are now adjusted about 10% stiffer than the middle position and the ride is pretty good for my taste.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Phil-
Call Bob Putnam and get the manual.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Phil-
Call Bob Putnam and get the manual.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 07-07-2014, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chappie,

I got the manual. I will try to reset the shocks stiffer and hope to give it a whirl this weekend.

Phil
Old 09-07-2014, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, so while replacing the shaft seal and brake pads, I adjusted the shocks to 10 clicks from dead soft. Much of the wheel hop has went away and the ride is the same. I will go a few more clicks and see if that takes it away completely. No leaks on the shaft seal so I am a happy camper!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Keep us posted, I would love to get rid of that f-ing hop!!!
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear