Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Adjusting SPAX shocks on Jag rear end

I decided to stiffen the rear shocks up slightly on the rear while I was under the car bleeding the brakes. All four shocks appeared to be set at 2 clicks from the counterclockwise dead stop when I turned them back. I re-set them at 6 clicks (my manual suggests 5 clicks from dead soft - which I interpret to be the counterclockwise dial stop) and in a short drive I thought I detected some tramping on rough pavement. So I will probably dial them back to 4 or 5 clicks and see what happens.

Question - the SPAX website says these Krypton gas shocks have 28 clicks of adjustment. Also, Kevins2 reported that Doug advised they set the shocks at 14 clicks, which wasn't the case on mine - but mine was a semi-roller and possibly they don't set the shocks on a semi - roller. However the difference between 5 click and 14 clicks seems pretty extreme(?). Has there been a change in the SPAX dampers over the last 3 or 4 years that might account for this?

When I reset the dampers to soft, I turned the dial counterclockwise and there was a firm stop. The clicks never got all that soft or indistinct before hitting the stop.

Does this sound correct

Thanks

Dan
Old 05-12-2014, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Dan, I'll be interested to see the results of this post. I'm almost embarrassed to say I didn't check the damping settings of my shocks - I just installed them. How did you set the front ones?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Lippy - stay tuned. I admit I also didn't check mine and I still haven't checked the fronts yet. When I got it running, I thought the front felt pretty good as delivered, but the back felt just a little soft. I thought adjusting the shocks slightly firmer might take care of it. Now I'm a little mystified about the range of adjustment on the SPAX units.

Dan
Old 05-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The Spax shocks on the ERA outboard rear are different from the Jag rear, and there are also different rear Spax for the Jag rear, depending on whether you have the height adjustments or not. I do remember Doug telling me he set mine at 14, and that's for the outboard rear -- and that was back in 2006. I've softened mine up since then -- I think I have them around 12. Maybe Jag adjustments are not at 14? Maybe they're just different?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Hi Dan,

Regarding Doug's statement - he was referring to turn-key cars and that they go out the door set at the mid-point - 14 clicks. My front coil-overs came in a box so I just turned them counter-clockwise all the way and then counted out 14 clicks. As I indicated to you, the first one I went through all 28 clicks just to confirm for myself that there were indeed 28 clicks. My car came with the Jag rear pre-assembled but, again, I didn't take for granted that they were adjusted and did the same procedure to make sure they were at 14 clicks.

My Spax documentation suggests starting at 4 clicks and then adjust up in 4 click increments as the ride improves until the adjustment results in a worse ride, then back it down. Keep in mind that these are generic instructions for cars of different weights and suspensions. That's why I went with Doug's recommendation specific to the ERA. I haven't played around with the stiffness partly because the ride seems very good as is and, admittedly, I've been having too much fun driving the car and focusing on other things that need attention.

I'm still not clear on whether your Spax have the same 28 click adjustment? If so, try the mid-point and, if it doesn't feel right, they are easy enough to adjust. I'm sure I'll also get around to it at some point even though the ride feels pretty good to me. Since I haven't tried different settings, maybe what I consider pretty good can get even better...

Let us know what you determine feels good to you.

Kevin
Old 05-13-2014, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

So does turning it clockwise make them stiffer?
JD
Old 05-13-2014, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kevin - I was beginning to think that I remembered incorrectly on your ordering the JAG suspension. It would make sense that the ERA suspension SPAX shocks might adjust differently. I did browse the SPAX website and I found the same information on 28 clicks adjustment range on it. I didn't try to turn through the whole range. I will try that and check. But mine seem to be pretty stiff at 6 clicks so I don't know what 14 clicks would be like.

Jayde - yes clockwise increases the shock dampening.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You know, the last time I looked, which was admittedly a while ago, ERA had priced their outboard rear down to where it was not much more expensive than the Jag rear. The only reason I got the outboard rear was to avoid the nuisance of having to deal with inboard Jag brakes, along with that little trap door to get to them. And the fact that outboard brakes look nicer....
Old 05-13-2014, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I have now verified that with speed bleeders (thanks Chas) the rear brakes on the Jag suspension can be bleed from underneath w/o pulling the interior out. It helps to have a long, slender forearm. I can't hardly imagine that I will ever wear out a set of rear brake pads.

I checked one of mine and it has a total of 10 clicks from full couterclockwise to full clockwise, so the mystery continues. There must be two different series of SPAX shocks used on the Jag rear.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Speaking of brake pads, I just got the part numbers for ceramic pads and won't wait to wear out the pads that came with it. Brake dust in the rear isn't too bad on the wheels since the brakes are inboard, but still making a mess underneath. Reducing the brake dust on the front will be worth the cost of the pads.

Dan, keep us posted on what you find out with your Spax shocks. Having only 10 clicks would explain why we're getting very different results.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I checked one of mine and it has a total of 10 clicks from full couterclockwise to full clockwise, so the mystery continues. There must be two different series of SPAX shocks used on the Jag rear.
Yes, sometime in the near-past the Spax adjustment system was changed. Too bad nobody tells me when that happens so I can change the manual.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Yes, sometime in the near-past the Spax adjustment system was changed. Too bad nobody tells me when that happens so I can change the manual.
Thanks Bob. Well, my manual does seem to match my shocks. Haven't checked the latest update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Dan, I'll be interested to see the results of this post. I'm almost embarrassed to say I didn't check the damping settings of my shocks - I just installed them. How did you set the front ones?
I guess the key is to do what Kevin did and verify the full range of adjustment from stop to stop and go from there. I think I will change mine back to 4 clicks on the rear. I'll try to check what my front ones are set at - they seem pretty good so far.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dan,

there are different Spax available.
Mine ( not an ERA ) , has 14 steps. At normal drive it is 3 -4 . For sportive driving it is 6-8. 2 or smaller is to soft and the jag rear follows each track groove.
Adjustment first anti clockwise ( Softer ) to zero. Then clock wise ( harder) each step to the requested set up. Secure that the springs have the same length.

Regards
Frank