Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By DanEC
  • 1 Post By mickmate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Is it real or . . . #782 on the road

OK - not much excitement. With undercar exhaust and still holding the engine to under 4000 rpm it won't compare to most video for drama. Also still working on my GoPro skills.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhBcWzf__rw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
Old 06-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Congrats Dan, and thanks for the ride. No drama is a good thing ;-)
GrumpyBadger likes this.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Appreciate that Nick - as I get older I think my driving now is starting to offset all the silly, dumb shi!t I did in my teens and 20s in muscle cars on bias belt tires, with skimpy lap belts, and an undeveloped frontal lobe.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great experience Dan after all your work and my badgering.
Welcome to the 'Dumb Questions Club'. Tip: Just nod, smile and wave to the adoring throngs.
Some more tips:
A. Don't let Hondas drive past-you need more immaturity.
B. Forget 4K RPM- get into 5500 on a regular basis-it's quiet enough to do that.
C. Don't short shift and and no 2-4 shifts; you'll foul plugs and those crappy 2 sets of points.
D. Wipe that looney grin off your puss!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Welcome to the 'Dumb Questions Club'. Tip: Just nod, smile and wave to the adoring throngs.
Some more tips:
B. Forget 4K RPM- get into 5500 on a regular basis-it's quiet enough to do that.
C. Don't short shift and and no 2-4 shifts; you'll foul plugs and those crappy 2 sets of points.
I actually did do a 2 to 4 shift today but I didn't think it was in that clip - but, guilty as charged. I have about 115 miles on it now so I think as soon as I put some 20W-50 oil in per Keith Crafts suggestion, I will be ready to get ahead of those pesky Hondas. It's a struggle to fight the maturity thing - I seem to drive 5 mph slower than everyone else. I've become my father.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I knew I heard it about 50 sec in.
I respect Keith but unless he's using .0035" on the mains, I'd use nothing heavier than 15W-40. And preferably 10W-30. I did at .003". Today most guys use .002-.0025".
Regardless-run the ass off it and in 1K miles it will be telling you what it likes.
Don't obsess after every ride.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA Street, 351W
Not Ranked     

Nice!......driving style.......color.......smooth hood.....sound. IMHO, it's nice & also fun to let observers "imagine" what your Cobra can do while you comfortably & safely cruise around. Enjoy.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance No. 1359 / 351
Not Ranked     

Beautiful car and a great sounding engine!
Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Some more tips:
Didn't KC break-in the engine before delivery? If so, then I wouldn't be stopping at 4,000 RPM. But that's me.

I agree with Chas, I wouldn't use 20W-50. I use Joe Gibb's High Zinc Hot Rod oil in 15W-50 and that's probably too heavy, but it doesn't get too cold around here either.

Sounds fantastic. Very mellow.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Dan,

Looks and sounds nice. Take your time and get used to the car before pushing the limits on it. 5500 rpms sounds nice, but unless you are on a race track there are very few practical applications of that speed and power in most traffic situations. Remember those frontal lobes. Hell, I just took a 1,000 mile trip to ERA, New Hampshire and back and with a 3.54 rear end at 75 mph I was only running 3500 rpms. I was talking with a fellow cobra owner at a car show recently and he talked about his first experience passing someone in his cobra and how he did his usual of step on the gas and then pull out into the passing lane and he nearly hit the guy in the rear end. Now he pulls out and then hits the gas.

There is no lag between when you hit the gas and you go, and I do not mean flooring it, just a gentle push on the pedal will make the car jump. I had no problem merging into the fast land when I was coming up on somebody. I could out accelerate anybody coming up from behind me in the other lane. All I had to do was make sure that there was nobody on my side.

It was nice to see Peter, Jack and the other employees who were there. Enjoy the car, you must be smiling from ear to ear.

Last edited by 1795; 07-06-2014 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: poor spelling
Old 07-06-2014, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic427 351w
Not Ranked     

Sounds nice. Next time someone asks you if it's real? Try ... "I don't know, it still feels like a dream, but sure feels real!"
Old 07-06-2014, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keith used .003 on the mains. Not sure about the rod side clearances. Tony was strongly encouraging me to go to the heavier Joe Gibbs oil. It is 15W-50 instead of 20. That was my faulty memory. Since I've moved the idle up to around 900 my hot pressure at idle holds around 20 psi with the lighter oil so I'm thinking either is probably fine. Yes, he did break it in on the dyno but I would like to get a few more miles on it and get accustomed to the car.

I'm pretty pleased with the Spin Tek low profile mufflers. I was afraid they would sound like Flowmasters which are not a favorite of mine. But they sound better in my opinion. At just 3 inches thick they are a good choice for an undercar exhaust system on these cars. Thanks for the feedback.

Dan
Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Very Cool!
I cant wait for this part..........................
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289
Not Ranked     

Dan, that sounds great.....
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hey all, "new guy"

Dan, that's an amazing car! There's something wonderful about the smooth hood and under-car exhaust Cobras. I think because there are so many now with the shiny side pipes and hood scoop, the "low-key" ones just stick out more to me. They have a calmer, subdued style.

That FE block sounds great too! Way to go on an "uneventful ride." Those are always a good thing!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hey all, "new guy"

Dan, that's an amazing car! There's something wonderful about the smooth hood and under-car exhaust Cobras. I think because there are so many now with the shiny side pipes and hood scoop, the "low-key" ones just stick out more to me. They have a calmer, subdued style.

That FE block sounds great too! Way to go on an "uneventful ride." Those are always a good thing!