Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Mech Smith's Speedo bouncing a little?

It seems that the occilations of my Smiths speedometer are getting a little wider as I start to put a few miles on it. The bounciness gets greater with speed but is around 5 mph +/- at 45 to 50 mph. I have the adaptor shimmed to avoid any binding of the speedometer mechanism so it shouldn't be that. I assumed the cable was good to go as delivered but possilbly it needs to be lubed. Anyone else have this issue with a new speedometer and figure it out?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Not much to do to the cables OTHER than lube it well ???)

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 08-29-2014, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427cobra stroked 427fe
Not Ranked     

If a reverse speedometer the reversing gear adapter needs to dis assembled, cleaned and 're assembled with a light moly grease. That should do it.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Which end does the cable come out on these - transmission end?
Old 08-29-2014, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #778 427SC Keith Craft FE 428 stroker
Not Ranked     

I helped mine by adjusting some of the bends in the cable routing. I had secured the cable in several places with cable ties and it seems that they constrained it too much. When I cut a couple of them and made the radii a little more generous, the oscillations were reduced significantly.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The tightest radius on mine is probably 6 or 7 inches where from the firewall grommet to the adaptor on the back of the speedometer (street dash layout). I don't know an easy way to improve that one any. I'll re-lube the adaptor and the lube the cable and see what it does.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

What are you using to lube the cable? I've always used powdered graphite on the speedo cable.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
What are you using to lube the cable? I've always used powdered graphite on the speedo cable.
Yes! Do not use grease. It will only create extra drag and eventually break something.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 482FE
Not Ranked     

Get some of this. Gravity does the work for you. The graphite is emulsified in a solvent that will evaporate leaving behind a film of lubricant. I use it on motorcycle cables, works great.

Bike Aid Dri Slide 4 oz w Needle Moly Dry Film Lubricant for Cables Housing New | eBay
Old 08-30-2014, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have powdered graphite - but what end does the cable pull from - speedometer or transmission? Looking at Bob's manual, some of the drawings appear to show a shoulder on the speedometer end which would mean I need to pull it loose and out from there. Is this correct?

Edit 1: Never mind - speedometer end it is for the record.

Edit 2: Lubed up cable with powdered graphite. Adaptor was too tight on back of the speedometer to get off for now. Went for a test drive but had no speedometer at all. I didn't have the cable engaged into the transmission gear - but the weather is looking too stormy now for another test drive.

Last edited by DanEC; 08-30-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Old 08-31-2014, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

When I bought my car the speedo stopped working or was not working correctly immediately. The cable is actually to short or has too much back and forth movement inside the sheath. Turned out to be two items.
It would be able to travel into the reversing adapter at the speedo to far, by this happening it backed out of the plastic gear in the tranny eventually killing the square drive opening. With Doug's(ERA) guidance, made a 3/8 long shim out 1/8 brakeline and installed it right on the cable at the adapter end. This prevented it from walking out of the tranny gear to far and ruining it.
Your problem of the intermittent jumping around sounds like it could be the end of the tranny gear. If I am right, it will get worse as the square drive gets more destroyed until just won't work at all.
The good thing is this gear was designed to be the sacrificial lamb, that is why it is plastic and cheap
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 08-31-2014, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub35 View Post
Get some of this. Gravity does the work for you. The graphite is emulsified in a solvent that will evaporate leaving behind a film of lubricant. I use it on motorcycle cables, works great.

Bike Aid Dri Slide 4 oz w Needle Moly Dry Film Lubricant for Cables Housing New | eBay
Thanks, just ordered some. I could used it for my bike and car!
Old 08-31-2014, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Check it all!

Same issue with mine. Turned out to be the worst possible outcome in that the speedo drive gear on the tail shaft of the TKO-600 was bad. The possible cause to this was that the clip that holds the gear to the transmission side of the cable had fallen off. Possible excessive run out of the cable and or gear put wear on the tail shaft gear. I found the clip in the bottom of the tail shaft housing.

Don't ignore it or think you will get to it later. Check everything from gauge to transmission to make sure all is in order.

Mine started with a small bounce at the gauge.
riebel@insightbb.com
www.thedreamcarcompany.com
Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
When I bought my car the speedo stopped working or was not working correctly immediately. The cable is actually to short or has too much back and forth movement inside the sheath. Turned out to be two items.
It would be able to travel into the reversing adapter at the speedo to far, by this happening it backed out of the plastic gear in the tranny eventually killing the square drive opening. With Doug's(ERA) guidance, made a 3/8 long shim out 1/8 brakeline and installed it right on the cable at the adapter end. This prevented it from walking out of the tranny gear to far and ruining it.
Your problem of the intermittent jumping around sounds like it could be the end of the tranny gear. If I am right, it will get worse as the square drive gets more destroyed until just won't work at all.
The good thing is this gear was designed to be the sacrificial lamb, that is why it is plastic and cheap
I can see this - first time I re-installed the cable to the speedometer and took a test drive the speedo didn't work at all. Pulled it back off and realized it wasn't inserted into the transmission gear. Made sure it was engaged in the transmission gear and reinstalled it and it was working again. It surprised me that I could install it and snug up the fitting and it the cable wasn't engaged. What you related is apparently what allowed it. I will see if I can rig up a couple small washers to go between the shoulder on the cable and the reverser to back it up a little and ensure full engagement in the transmission. I also took the reverser apart but it seemed smooth in operation and well lubed so I decided to put it back together and give it another shot of chassis lube in the zerk fitting.

I took another short drive but it started misting and had to curtail it. Still bouncing a little although seems slightly better. It seemed to get worse the other day after I accelerated up through the gears to about 70. I suspect it may be in the transmission gear - hopefully the driven gear. But it looks like I will have to pull the tunnel to get a good look at it.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVenom View Post
Same issue with mine. Turned out to be the worst possible outcome in that the speedo drive gear on the tail shaft of the TKO-600 was bad. The possible cause to this was that the clip that holds the gear to the transmission side of the cable had fallen off. Possible excessive run out of the cable and or gear put wear on the tail shaft gear. I found the clip in the bottom of the tail shaft housing.

Don't ignore it or think you will get to it later. Check everything from gauge to transmission to make sure all is in order.

Mine started with a small bounce at the gauge.
When you go through your inspection, make sure you inspect the transmission tail shaft gear all the way around. If you have the car with the rear wheels up or the drive shaft out, rotate the tail shaft while keeping an eye on the gear. Make sure you inspect the gear thoroughly for wear.
riebel@insightbb.com
www.thedreamcarcompany.com
Old 08-31-2014, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I made a spacer out of aluminum tubing, approximately 1/4 in long to position the cable end back towards the transmission gear. That's pretty much what the play in the cable appeared to be. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning weather permitting.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan---
Leave the 'real, original' Smiths speedo for the DB's in the parking lot to ooh and ahhh over. Drive by the tach.
Do the formula for MPH inputting your rear gear, 1:1 trans (4th) and tire diameter. Do it for each 1000RPM. Then just look at the tach when you're in the school zone for your sedate MPH.
Also do it for near redline.
For instance, 6200 in 4th with my combination was 155MPH. Which I enjoyed whenever space allowed............
Old 08-31-2014, 05:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Chas. is right. Because of this thread, I looked at my speedo this weekend for the first time in a long time (the Smiths speedo is in the middle of the dash). At 45MPH it was not holding perfectly steady, but was "wiggling" up and down about a half inch or so. I hardly ever look at it -- I've used the "tach" method forever. 7, 11, 17, 21, and 34 -- just do the quick math in your head. Cops tend to cut me more breaks in the Cobra than they do in my DD cars anyway.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Chas. is right.
Cops tend to cut me more breaks in the Cobra than they do in my DD cars anyway.
I will cherish that first sentence forever......

Police are feeling great pity that someone forced you to ride in a foam- insulated and beige example of what was by legend, a raw-boned sports racer...
Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I can see this - first time I re-installed the cable to the speedometer and took a test drive the speedo didn't work at all. Pulled it back off and realized it wasn't inserted into the transmission gear. Made sure it was engaged in the transmission gear and reinstalled it and it was working again. It surprised me that I could install it and snug up the fitting and it the cable wasn't engaged. What you related is apparently what allowed it. I will see if I can rig up a couple small washers to go between the shoulder on the cable and the reverser to back it up a little and ensure full engagement in the transmission. I also took the reverser apart but it seemed smooth in operation and well lubed so I decided to put it back together and give it another shot of chassis lube in the zerk fitting.

I took another short drive but it started misting and had to curtail it. Still bouncing a little although seems slightly better. It seemed to get worse the other day after I accelerated up through the gears to about 70. I suspect it may be in the transmission gear - hopefully the driven gear. But it looks like I will have to pull the tunnel to get a good look at it.
I am only referring to the Toploader 4 sp, washer are not going to do anything for you, a spacer has to be put on the cable itself to limit its walking inside the sheath into the reverser to far. By the sounds of it, sounds like your plastic gear is shot. as I said, very cheap(18.00) and no need to pull the tunnel to R&R. I have 331 gears and it would be the green gear. I think the tooth count was 18 or 21...don't remember.
Edit:sep1 10:52
Never saw the part where you made the spacer...sorry

Last edited by davids2toys; 09-01-2014 at 07:52 AM..