Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-05-2014, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #816, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Oil Cooler

What oil cooler does ERA use in their cobras? Trying to get all the extras together before i drop the big dime.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A couple of companies sell them

Jet 69 Cobra Restorers, EARLS, Cobra accessory, Canton and some others. Here's the thing,It's easier to buy the kit from ERA unless you have done stainless steel braided line making. Aluminum wrenches are needed to not damage the fittings or over tighten the connection. You don't have to use aluminum wrenches but steel ones will mark the fittings.
Era has the lines all cutting the correct length to fit your car. Price wise you are not going to save alot of money. The only thing you may want to look at is an oil thermostat. If you are racing the car, the external cooler works great. I really works too good because the oil never gets to the correct temp for the best protection of the motor. Oil likes between 180F to 210F again depending on the manufacturer. There are some threads in here to look at about this. Some guys cover the opening of the coolers. Cooler climate areas or cool morning runs, the oil doesn't get hot. Same thing applies to truck and some high performance cars that have oil coolers that run to the radiator to help heat up the oiler faster and control the temp. It also pulls heat from the coolant too. Good luck with the build, Rick L
Old 10-05-2014, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Braided lines are a snap. Been working on commercial jets 15 years. Plus I have all the tools and fittings and hose left over from previous projects. Hell, I think I still have at least 30ft of 10an line laying around somewhere so that's not an issue.

I live in Florida so I'll need a cooler and I have already purchased a canton thermostat and all those goodies. It's not a matter of saving money but it allows me to buy a little bit at a time and not have to drop it all at once.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Air line mechanic

Blue 69 You have a tougher job that mine. You have all the skills. This doesn't show up on the the thread. Only other side note is rubber clamps on the hoses and the looping of the r/s one up and around the top of he inlet of the radiator. If not done right it will rub the crap out of the fiberglass. Looking foward to see your build.
Have you thought about motor and trans? Plenty of 427 so motors down your way from all the old boats. Block is most important the heads are all different sizes and shapes, like women. Rick L.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just waiting on my block from Barry R. Going the 427 route with a Tremec. Pretty much set as far as the drivetrain goes. And for clamps, I've got a nice collection of aircraft quality adel clamps I've managed to "salvage" over the years...lol and no, they're not from jetBlue
Old 10-05-2014, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I used a Mocal & made my own shrouding. I used the mocal sandwich adapter, also. You need to find the right filter to fit between the frame. I use a Wix filter. I can get you the filter number.
Of course, mine is a 289. Dot know if your clearances & specs differ.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Jet: Where 'bouts in Fl are you? I get all my fittings, hose, oil coolers, oil thermos from B.A.T. (British American Transfer ) right here in Sarasota. They specialize in english ford racing stuff, but they have the coolers for a cobra.
941-355-0005, ask for Eric.

ps What I like, besides them being close by, is they have silver/ black and all silver fittings and ss braided hose with a black cover for a "period" look.
Ted
Old 10-05-2014, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I live over near Daytona Beach but I'm all for business with the small guys. We got a place over here right by the beach called British-American who specializes in all that as well. I will definitely check out B.A.T. as well. Thanks for the information!
Old 10-05-2014, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The cooler and lines are straightforward. If you use a 4" cooler the shroud is fairly simple too. Where things get complicated is the "tin" for the 6" cooler.