Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pete Munroe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default Fuses...older vs newer? type

All,

Blew the parking light fuse (#6) while messing with the front turn signals. Replaced with a spare AGC 15amp fuse.

Went to buy more. All I saw were "FAST BLOW" (obvious with the thin element) and "SLO-BLOW" (a heavier but TWISTED element).

OK what ever happened to just a "STANDARD" all purpose fuse? Is the older "STANDARD" style...lead strip with a notch in the middle...now replaced by the SLO-BLOW with the twisted element...?

Have used a magnifying glass looking at the old fuse that blew but can not find any part number/description beyond, at one end, "32V" a "logo" of some sort, and "SA" in a circle)...the other end has brand, style and amp rating "BUSS AGC 15A".

So what I call the OLD type "standard" heat range fuse (with the lead strip) now the equivalent of the currently marketed "SLO-BLO" with the twisted element...?

Think the NAPA store still has what I call the "older type" but the other chains very few if any. On line you can't really tell what you are looking at as the photo could be of anything.

Thanks, Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 11-06-2014, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The slow-blow type gives you a little leeway, especially with motors that draw high starting current. I normally use slow-blow in all the firewall fuses. On the other hand, I use fast-blow for the two fuses (under the steering column) between the trailer relay and the rear tail lights. That's to avoid damaging the relay should you accidentally short out the wire.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I've had trouble sorting this out also. Finally ran into a lady at a NAPA who helped me finding something that qualified as a slow blow fuse - I think.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default the new SLO-BLO...is it LEAD FREE??? and why add the label?

All,

Thanks, I do understand that the intended application of the FAST-BLOW ...ie: electronic circuits or relays...SLO-BLOW used for high surge circuits like lights and motors.

Mainly I was confused as to why the newer fuses had the label SLO-BLO added?...the old ones had no label, so why add one now? New type of fuse?

All I can think of is the older, unlabeled fuses use a flat LEAD strip as the element...and the lead is now banned from manufacture?

The new fuses now labeled SLO-BLOW use a "twisted wire" element (which, I am guessing is lead free).

I suppose the newer "twisted wire" element, at first glance, looks similar to a FAST-BLOW fuse's single thin wire element, so they added the SLO-BLOW label.

Still confused me...anyone know?

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 11-07-2014, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

The problem the old glass fuses had, that over time with heating and cooling, it would loose contact in the cap ends, so it looks fine but creating a resistance or no circuit. The spade fuses are better.
JD
Old 11-07-2014, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response. Never knew why the old glass tube type were dropped about 1981 for new production automobiles...makes sense, and gosh the colors are so koool..........

OK, sticking to the glass tube type...LOOK at the ELEMENT in side the glass tube...

1. in a OLD TYPE "unlabeled glass fuse"...(which ACTS like a SLO-BLO but was NEVER LABELED SLO-BLO) the elements I see are usually ~1/8th inch wide lead strip notched in the middle.

2. in the NEW type SLO-BLO fuse...now PROMINENTLY LABELED "SLO-BLO"...the element is a twisted wire...I am guessing the wire is LEAD FREE.

The new type SLO-BLO at first glance looks VERY similar to a FAST BLO fuse...both use a wire element. But if you look close the new SLO BLO "lead free" element wire is TWISTED and a heavier gauge wire than a FAS-BLO.

To keep the newer wire style element SLO-BLO from being mistaken for a "FAST BLO" fuse they felt the SLO-BLO label was now necessary...just my guess.

Man this got too complicated...sorry about that.
ERA 289 #2027
Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Munroe View Post
Man this got too complicated...sorry about that.
"Diffusion Pill Technology." Click Here: http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/fi...to%20fuses.pdf
Old 11-07-2014, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

So to get this all straight - visually:

Slo blow - flat, notched element or twisted wire element

Fast blow - single, thin wire element

Is this correct?
Old 11-07-2014, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default wish I had said that...

Dan,

Think you did a GREAT job making it simple...and correct as far as I know...hey, what HE said...!!!

A fuse with NO LABEL that has a flat, notched lead strip has "SLO BLOW" characteristics.

A fuse LABELED "SLO-BLOW" and with a wire element thick enough to be twisted is a SLO-BLO.

A fuse labeled FAST-BLOW label probably also uses a very thin wire element.

If you always double check ratings, and never assume you have the correct fuse you probably won't experience a automotive Chernobyl.

Pete
PJ UPTMOR likes this.
ERA 289 #2027
Old 11-07-2014, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great - I learned something to retain from this.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2014, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Good tread, thanks
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear