Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Yup, he signed my wind wing and I wrote the check to his Children's Foundation.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtwallace View Post
ah, so it's usually donation based?

Look awesome, ads an air of authenticity.
Yes, the last xx number of years he would pretty much sign anything if you gave a check to his charity. Mine is just a little bit unusual in that it is clearly "tagged" to my car.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Last question then i have to do pre-Christmas stuff:

I hear differing opinions of the placement of the battery. Traditionally it seems to be a front mount. But, some have moved it to the trunk? From my preliminary research, the trunk seems more practical?

What are the pros and cons?
If it had improved my weight balance, I would have moved it to the back. But it didn't. There's no reason to put it in the back now that ERA has a removable trap door in the wheel well to get to the battery.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:

I hear differing opinions of the placement of the battery. Traditionally it seems to be a front mount. But, some have moved it to the trunk? From my preliminary research, the trunk seems more practical?

Quote:

Mine are in the traditional location behind the passenger seat. They are a pair of 6v connected together to provide 12v. As you can see, I also located my battery cut-off switch there. These are Red-Tops. Originals had batteries called "Rebat" in same configuration and there are folks making replicas of the Rebats with modern technology for the true purist. See? It just goes on and on!

Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Yup, he signed my wind wing and I wrote the check to his Children's Foundation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, the last xx number of years he would pretty much sign anything if you gave a check to his charity. Mine is just a little bit unusual in that it is clearly "tagged" to my car.
where did you guys meet him?
Old 12-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

In my case, I met him in Vegas. But folks were able to fill out the form and make the donation on line or via mail, then send parts to him for signature. He had something of a sliding scale on price. Dashboard=x$, Artwork=x$, etc.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

In my case, the most important signature from him is the one on my MSO!
Old 12-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
In my case, the most important signature from him is the one on my MSO!
I have Peter P.'s signature, which is, in my mind, just as good. I took apart my dash and had my glove box messengered to CS, along with a check and a very polite handwritten note from me, and he was kind enough to sign it immediately and return it.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have Peter P.'s signature, which is, in my mind, just as good. I took apart my dash and had my glove box messengered to CS, along with a check and a very polite handwritten note from me, and he was kind enough to sign it immediately and return it.
Then it could have been his admin since you weren't present.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Then it could have been his admin since you weren't present.
You know, at this point, it wouldn't even matter if it was.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay, wow, wow, wow, wow....

"Shelby Cobra Fifty Years" by Colin Comer is freaking AWESOME!

the photographs alone are worth the price.

However, this has made me even more comfortable with some of my "unique" decisions. The genesis of this car was based on creativeness. Don't worry Patrick, im not going with 24 inch chrome wheels with neon under glow lights on my ERA, but just seeing some of the original photos, when it was "just a race car" and not a global icon, were refreshing.

i know for sure, i don't want the sun visors and wind deflectors! I love the minimal look of just the windscreen and dash mounted rear view.

**Yes, i have realized my sins, i WILL NOT have a Chevy motor, what was i thinking? Its gotta be a BB Ford.

so much to learn.....

Last edited by willtwallace; 12-25-2014 at 07:34 PM..
Old 12-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You know, at this point, it wouldn't even matter if it was.
Yep, that senescence sucks huh.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:

**Yes, i have realized my sins, i WILL NOT have a Chevy motor, what was i thinking? Its gotta be a BB Ford.

so much to learn.....
You're forgiven my child.
Glad you've seen the light!
For penance - you must update CLUBCOBRA with all your progress in a build thread!

Enjoy.

Ps: pm sent
Old 12-26-2014, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
...For penance - you must update CLUBCOBRA with all your progress in a build thread!

Enjoy.

Ps: pm sent
When that time comes, i will do so gladly!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you asked, of Bob & Peter, "if I write you a fat check today, when will I have my Cobra in my garage?"
Old 12-26-2014, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
i know for sure, i don't want the sun visors and wind deflectors! I love the minimal look of just the windscreen and dash mounted rear view.
I think most states will require two mirrors - the dash mounted rear view and an outside mirror either on the fender or windshield frame. Someone who has been through the process in NC can probably confirm. Sounds like you're zeroing in on what you want. Enjoy!

Kevin
Old 12-26-2014, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Upfront disclaimer, my first Cobra had a BB Ford and my second was built with a SB Chevy. I immediately pulled the motor and put it on Craigslist and dropped in a SB Ford.

With that being said, Carroll Shelby did attempt to work a deal with Chevy first correct? What if they said yes? We'd all be building them with a GM power plant still I'd assume. I've never been a Chevy guy so I'm very pleased with the direction he was "forced" to go.

I guess I bring this up because it's often referred to as a "sin" to use the Chevy motor when it was in fact his first choice.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
I think most states will require two mirrors - the dash mounted rear view and an outside mirror either on the fender or windshield frame.
One of the best mods, that I have made to my car, was the use of the high-end convex mirror. It took what was essentially a "pencil view" mirror and turned it in to what is now an essential driving component. You should do it up front on your build -- it makes that big a difference in both safety and convenience. Click here: A Replacement Convex Mirror that Really Works
Old 12-26-2014, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Have you asked, of Bob & Peter, "if I write you a fat check today, when will I have my Cobra in my garage?"
I have a quote sitting on my desk from Mr. Peter.

For "me" it will NOT be one big fat check. My build will have to be in increments. I am just trying to make the best launch out of the gates to ease future pain, and set me up for future success.

out the gate, i'd like: standard kit + paint, powder coat frame, bonded body, steering wheel and linkage, and ......?

Quote:
One of the best mods, that I have made to my car, was the use of the high-end convex mirror. It took what was essentially a "pencil view" mirror and turned it in to what is now an essential driving component. You should do it up front on your build -- it makes that big a difference in both safety and convenience. Click here: A Replacement Convex Mirror that Really Works
noted.

i cant tell too much from the NCDOT website. A "real" owner may be the answer.

Last edited by willtwallace; 12-26-2014 at 09:20 AM..
Old 12-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I would buy all the essentials up front. Like suspension, radiator, steering, etc. I don't know what gets included and what doesn't -- I would just have Peter make a secondary list for me of all the things that I had to also find, one way or another, before the car will be able to move safely under its own power. Shocks, bell housing, head lights, wheels, tie rods, steering knuckles... you need to have an inclusive list of all the stuff that you're not getting. There are a zillion little things that go on these cars. Towards the end of my build, Doug was calling me so much to get my "OK" on things that I finally told him "look, if you think it ought to be on there, just put it on there, you don't have to check with me." That actually worked better than I could have imagined.