Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2015, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Era brakes Upgrade

Hi
I have an Era n°589, this car is fantastic except 2 points :
The brakes are standard and the performance of the front brakes is so poor that it could be limit dangerous
Did some of ERA owners install some upgrage or new system to improve this point ?
Could you give me some advises
Old 05-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I have the big brake option up front. It requires a little work on the knuckle for it all to fit. 12.2" rotors on the six pins and, I believe, they now use Wilwood instead of Sierras. Whether you need to then modify the rears is another question.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-31-2016 at 12:08 PM..
Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Steering rack

[quote=marionp01;1350385]Hi
the second component that give problem is the steering rack that was not construct for such larger tires

The 2 arms are too flexible and give a poor precision on the position of the steering wheel

Did some of you replace this component by another more rigid

Thanks for your info
Old 05-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

If you have the old Subaru rack in there, you can change it out to a nice Flaming River rack that will fix it.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... which will necessitate new tie rods, but which will have the added benefit of helping you eliminate the radial play that has no doubt built up in the outer bushings.... Do you have the Triumph column in there?

Last edited by patrickt; 05-29-2015 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: ... thinking more
Old 05-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, so that's a new steering rack, tie rods, steering column, knuckle work, rotors, four piston calipers and pads... might as well throw on a quick release hub on that new column, too, and now we can move to the back end....
Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My steering column is comming from triumph parts
As concern wilwood front brakes , could you give me a reference that could be compatible with less adaptation job as possible

Thanks
Old 05-30-2015, 05:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionp01 View Post
As concern wilwood front brakes , could you give me a reference that could be compatible with less adaptation job as possible
OK, what you have on there now are, basically, GM Calipers that fit a 1975 Camaro. What you could try is checking out the Camaro forums and do an internet search for an upgrade that would just bolt on. Surely there are easy Camaro brake upgrades out there. Once you find something, run it by Bob P. just to make sure.

Last edited by patrickt; 05-30-2015 at 05:22 AM..
Old 05-30-2015, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK, what you have on there now are, basically, GM Calipers that fit a 1975 Camaro. What you could try is checking out the Camaro forums and do an internet search for an upgrade that would just bolt on. Surely there are easy Camaro brake upgrades out there. Once you find something, run it by Bob P. just to make sure.
Patrick,
I have car #698. I want to change pads all the way around. How can I tell which brakes I have up front? Are they the same Camaro brakes you are referring to here? As far as the rear pads are concerned, what Jag(year and series) pads do I look for?
Thanks...Dave
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 05-30-2015, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I hated the Camaro brakes. The single large piston made for a very squishy, long-travel brake pedal that felt unsafe and disconcerting.

I upgraded with some dual piston SSBC brakes for about $500 from Summit Racing. They were a direct replacement for the Camaro brakes and bolted right into place. The SSBC brakes feel solid, safe, and I have plenty of stopping power. I left the rear brakes alone, and I believe the ERA outboard brakes came from the Corvette. I don't have any weird front-rear biasing issues on braking.

My car is a 289 FIA with a 331 stroker.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-30-2015, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, and I replaced the rubber brake lines with DOT braided stainless steel brake lines. I am uncertain how much of a difference this made, but for the money is was cheap insurance. I think the Camaro kit I purchased for this was ~$100.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Patrick,
I have car #698. I want to change pads all the way around. How can I tell which brakes I have up front? Are they the same Camaro brakes you are referring to here? As far as the rear pads are concerned, what Jag(year and series) pads do I look for?
Thanks...Dave
If they don't look like mine, which are big ass four piston jobs, and have Sierra, JFZ, or Wilwood written on the side, then you have the Camaro brakes, which are half the size. The Jag rear ,which uses the XJ-6 differential, uses the Lucas/Girling GP97 pads.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
If they don't look like mine, which are big ass four piston jobs, and have Sierra, JFZ, or Wilwood written on the side, then you have the Camaro brakes, which are half the size. The Jag rear ,which uses the XJ-6 differential, uses the Lucas/Girling GP97 pads.
No, I don't have your killer brakes...but I already knew that. I have the standard brakes. I need to know what year Camaro brakes so when I need parts or pads or upgrades, I know what to buy. In a past conversation with Peter, he said I was near a cutoff year and I may not have the Camaro brakes, but he was not sure. Is there a way to tell what year, or years of Camaro brakes that I have? Or even if I have Camaro brakes. What other types did ERA use for standard brakes on the front?
Thanks for the XJ-6 info, isn't there also series and year info that I need for part info? Would you know that?
Thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
I hated the Camaro brakes. The single large piston made for a very squishy, long-travel brake pedal that felt unsafe and disconcerting.

I upgraded with some dual piston SSBC brakes for about $500 from Summit Racing. They were a direct replacement for the Camaro brakes and bolted right into place. The SSBC brakes feel solid, safe, and I have plenty of stopping power. I left the rear brakes alone, and I believe the ERA outboard brakes came from the Corvette. I don't have any weird front-rear biasing issues on braking.

My car is a 289 FIA with a 331 stroker.

DD
Doug,
That is an excellent idea. I just went to Summitt to take a look. I was not sure of the year so I went with 1975 Camaro for a guess. They have many choices to pick from. in SSBC Do you remember or have the specific SSBC model you ordered. They also have Wilwood upgrade choices also. If I was to go this route, I think I would also spring for new rotors and bearings, they seem reasonably priced. I am assuming all of this is Camaro?

I have the 427 car and you have the FIA; same braking system? So you made no change to the master cyl and had no issues? That is encouraging. I can't believe it could be this easy. Did you have to adjust the bias considering the fronts should now be much better and grabbier than the rears.

Also love your idea of changing out the rubber lines. My car is 12 years old, so I should probably do this for the front and rear brakes! Like you said, "CHEAP INSURANCE". Does it take Camaro specific replacement rubber lines or something else?
Dave

Last edited by davids2toys; 05-31-2015 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-31-2015, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The Stainless Steel Brakes caliper A185S is the best bolt-in replacement. Piston area is close to the original, and so doesn't require a master cylinder change. Because the piston centers are further out on the disc surface, there's 5-10% more mechanical advantage.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssb-a185-s

*By the way... Before you do anything, check that your brake balance bar is set up correctly. If you don't have enough stroke-bias to the front master cylinder, the balance will be off and the pedal will be really hard.

In addition, the pads can become glazed when they are not used hard during the break-in, or for a long period afterward. If sanding the friction surface doesn't fix that, replacement may be necessary.

Last edited by strictlypersonl; 05-31-2015 at 10:27 AM..
Old 05-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Is there a way to tell what year, or years of Camaro brakes that I have? Or even if I have Camaro brakes. What other types did ERA use for standard brakes on the front?
Thanks for the XJ-6 info, isn't there also series and year info that I need for part info? Would you know that?
Thanks
Unfortunately you have reached the limit of my knowledge of the ERA Camaro brakes and the ERA inboard Jag brakes (of which I have neither). FWIW, I don't recall reading about too much variation in the Camaro and Jag brakes setup though.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used the SSBC part as defined by Bob above. I used a Camaro SS brake line kit that matched the SSBC coverage on Summit. No bias issues, and no change to the master cylinder either. I'm very happy with this change, and the brakes feel quite safe and confident.

It's a good, cost-effective upgrade that is sufficient for the street. I also upgraded my reservoirs from the tin cans to a nice aluminum set from Wilwood, which looks nice.

Cheers,
DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Dave - I would be interested in hearing your feed back after you install the SSBC brakes. Sounds like Doug is a fan. I might consider the upgrade too if it's a perceivable improvement.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

What Dan said.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I added the ERA upgraded rear and upgraded front brakes to 755 a few years back. It was a pretty easy install, but not cheap.

It looked cool. It is doubtful it improved the street performance.

john