Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Rear Brake Flex Line

Bob,
Is the flexable brake line (EIS sp1358) on the stndard ERA rear carrier a Corvette part? Do you know the Russell (or other brand) braided stainless part number that is equivalent?
Pat
Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Stainless Flex Lines

I was not able to find an individual line for the rear but the Russell kit (4 lines)for the 63 to 82 Corvettes has 2 of the correct pieces. Correct ends and mounting fittings.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

I want to put one of these lines for the rear while I have the all the access because of other maintenance I am doing at the moment and while I have a lot of access. My rubber line is 11 years old and I want to replace it with this upgrade.
ERA does not have this part. I cannot figure out what I need from looking at all kinds of pics on Summit.
Has anybody done this and have a part number? I really don't want to buy a whole kit only to use 1 hose!
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 06-06-2015, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
I want to put one of these lines for the rear while I have the all the access because of other maintenance I am doing at the moment and while I have a lot of access. My rubber line is 11 years old and I want to replace it with this upgrade.
ERA does not have this part. I cannot figure out what I need from looking at all kinds of pics on Summit.
Has anybody done this and have a part number? I really don't want to buy a whole kit only to use 1 hose!
Just a suggestion. In my area there are several hydraulic hose suppliers that will fabricate custom braided SS brake lines to pretty much any configuration needed. You could take your old brake line to them and have it duplicated. I would think there should be one of these shops somewhere near you.

Good Luck,

Ted
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

That is a good suggestion for sure, however that would be a last resort for me. Just not enough time in he day!!!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack fia View Post
I was not able to find an individual line for the rear but the Russell kit (4 lines)for the 63 to 82 Corvettes has 2 of the correct pieces. Correct ends and mounting fittings.
After 2 days on the phone and doing lots research, this is where I am at. Also, the pics of that kit do not show a circlip groove in the nut. You did say it had one though? I have Russell engineer checking for me... waiting to hear back from him now.
EDIT: Just got a call back from a ebay supplier of kit russell kit# 692000 for 63-82 Corvettes. None of the four lines in that kit will work. All 4 of those line have 7/16 on the male end, I need 3/8 -24 2 lines are 14" and two line are 10" I need 16 "

Last edited by davids2toys; 06-10-2015 at 08:11 AM..
Old 06-10-2015, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnride View Post
Just a suggestion. In my area there are several hydraulic hose suppliers that will fabricate custom braided SS brake lines to pretty much any configuration needed. You could take your old brake line to them and have it duplicated. I would think there should be one of these shops somewhere near you.

Good Luck,

Ted
Ted,
I called all over the place. Nobody will touch it because it is for a car and has to be DOT, or they don't have the hose that is compatible for brake fluid, or they don't have the brake fittings, etc, etc
Right now my only hopeful for a single line is Pegasus racing. He said he could do it one of two ways, waiting to hear back from him with pricing
Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Ted,
I called all over the place. Nobody will touch it because it is for a car and has to be DOT, or they don't have the hose that is compatible for brake fluid, or they don't have the brake fittings, etc, etc
Right now my only hopeful for a single line is Pegasus racing. He said he could do it one of two ways, waiting to hear back from him with pricing
David,

This is a company in my area that you could contact if you don't have any luck with Pegasus

Brake Hose-stainless steel braided

Ted
Old 06-10-2015, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Even Pegasus could not adapt fittings to one of their lines because the female has no circlip provision and the nut is 9/16 and will fall right thru the tab on the frame. Camaro is NG because the threads are 7/16 and I need 3/8.
Also talked to Bob Putnam 2 days ago, he had no info for me either.

Thanks for the link ted, i will give then a try
Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ted, I can't thank you enough. Kevin was excellent. Very nice to talk to, super helpful and most definitely knew what he was talking about. All DOT line, Multiple colors no extra charge (I went with black), will be made up for me tomorrow and shipped. I will have it in 1 week! The shipping was terrible, 18.00, UPS rip off service , and that is the only way they can do it. So I ordered 2 lines for the same shipping cost of 18.00 for 0-5 lbs. I will put one on the shelf to use in 10- years from now or sell it to someone who needs it and get 1/2 my shipping cost back..lol
Thanks again,
Dave
Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got the new lines a week ago, but somehow the order got messed up, and they ended up with female fittings on both ends. They made a new set no charge and I got them today. The quality looks fantastic. This is a pic of the new line next to the old Bendix line
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,

Sorry to hear that they messed up your order the first time but nice that it ultimately worked out.

Ted
Old 06-26-2015, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not a big deal...thanks again for the referral.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, this might seem like a stupid question, but I am puzzled at the moment, so I have to ask.
The male side of the flexible line is a regular flare(concave). It goes into a three way tee mounted on the Chassis. It seems to be this fitting:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ea...0erl/overview/
notes on part: "3/8-24 in. inverted flares on the runs, 3/8-24 in. female straight threads on the branch. 1/4 in. mounting hole". The female on the tee to accept the male fitting on the hose is the "3/8-24 in. female straight threads on the branch"
The bottom of the fitting is not flared to match the male hose fitting going into it. This is what I had on the car and it wasn't leaking. It also did not have sealer or tape on the threads. So is this set-up correct? I don't get it. Can someone explain it to a stupid guy(ME)???

Thanks...Dave

Last edited by davids2toys; 06-28-2015 at 07:40 AM..
Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am thinking the bevel in the very front is doing the sealing. The new line is on the left
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

The other thing i did last time I had the rearend out was add speedbleeders. They helped immensely when you only have one person bleeding brakes! They were $6 per wheel.

Phil
Old 07-01-2015, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,

The fitting on your new hose appears to be designed to work with all three applications, ie;. male flare, female (inverted) flare or straight thread. The fitting on the old hose appears to be straight thread only.

Ted
Old 07-02-2015, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil,
I have the speed bleeder in hand and will be installing them. I got the ones with the high hex sides SB3824L, see pic here: http://www.speedbleeder.com/size.htm , so it will be easier to bleed from underneath the car without taking out the interior

Ted,
It appears that way. I don't understand how the old fitting was sealing and not leaking up the threads. As a precaution, I am installing these Parker 2GF-3 copper flare gaskets recommended by Kevin when I called him about this situation. I have read great things bout these little buggers.
Parker 2GF 3 Flare Gasket 45 Deg Copper Flare PK 10 | eBay
He seems to think that the bottom of the tee fitting on the car is slightly beveled and will mate to the out side bevel on the hose male end he sold me.
This is the way I will be installing. I am also going to installed one in the female side on the other end of the hose...cheap insurance!
Attached Images

Last edited by davids2toys; 07-02-2015 at 05:54 AM..
Old 07-02-2015, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David,

Over the years I have encountered quite a few different combinations of brake line fittings and usually when a straight thread fitting was used, it had a flat copper gasket/washer that seated between the flat on the hex portion of the hose fitting and a flat on what ever fitting it was screwed into when tightened. I have only used the copper seat flares on male flare fittings, not on the inverted flare fittings (that doesn't mean that it won't work, I've just never had a need to do it). The copper seat flare that is shown sitting in the inverted flare of your hose fitting (your last photo) looks a little large for the application, but I suppose it may work as long as there isn't any interference with the internal threads.

Sometimes brake line fittings can be a pain in the butt. Hope it all works out well.

Ted
Old 07-03-2015, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very interesting Ted...I wonder if what I am looking at down inside the tee fitting is a actually a gasket and not the brass surface I thought I was looking at. I will have to check it out when I get back from vacation. Edit. I looked and it is not a gasket. I also have determine it is definitely sloped down towards the center. Therefore it would be sealing to the outside bevel on the hose male fitting
I think the gasket looks bigger than it really is, and the hole in the center is tiny. To me it looks like it will form to the outside bevel at that is it. Besides, even if it did touch the threads I would not think it would matter because the threads are not doing any of the sealing? That is also one of the reasons why you don't put any sealing compounds or tape on the threads because mating surfaces are supposed to be doing all the sealing.
The reason I was thinking of putting it on the other end also is so the metal brake-line flare would not deform the inverted flare like the original I took off the car that I am replacing.
Dave

Last edited by davids2toys; 07-04-2015 at 06:06 AM..