Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2015, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You could steal that car for 65k and make do with the deeper colour.. id be drivng it back with a smiler as wide as the highway!!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I built ERA 797 and had Connecticut Custom paint it. They did a good job and I'm picky about paint. I'm also happy I went with ERA. IMO they look and feel great, and the quality and service are very high. As others have said, your cost estimate is low. I didn't see tires in there. You also may want to seriously consider leather seats and dash, and wool carpet. It makes the interior super nice. My fuel system (filters, lines, fittings, pump, regulators) probably approached $1,500, so don't forget about things like that. Other comments:
- Spax are good
- Get the HD radiator
- I have a Pond 427 built by Brent and I would recommend him. But the 428 is nice too, much cheaper, and you probably won't notice the weight difference
- Go for Avons and not Billboards. They drive *much* better and are street legal. The Billboards aren't
- Get the Wilwood big brakes. Worth it and they look good too.

My advice, for what little it's worth, is to spend the extra money to get exactly what you want, and don't add up the cost. Send me a PM if you want to discuss engines, ERA, etc in detail. I'm glad to chat.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
Is new that important to you? You have plenty of time to find a low mileage ERA with all the options you want, for a lot less than your all in price......
I would concur with this advice. Everyone that I know who buys one from the factory (1) waits forever and (2) has to "sort it out". You will buy a used ERA for less than you will build yours. It might be missing a few of the wishlist items, but you'll get to know the car first. Then decide if you want to do a new build.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm going to throw this in just for you to take a look at. ERA's are outstanding replicas but in the ranking of replica's, this car is a couple notches above. You could paint it your desired color and put comp tires on it at your convenience.
I can personally vouch for the car too and it's originality.
Larry
PhotoPost Classifieds - Carbon Exact Cobra - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 06-14-2015, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     

I agree with the advice to do the build, since you will have no regrets later. Sure it may cost you more, but it will be worth more too, especially to you. Since it takes a while to do a car, you can save up more money in the meantime. Get what you want, and you will keep it for a very long time! Also, I am 6' 2" and fit comfortably, even with my size 13 shoes on the pedals. Lots of room! You are wise to ask for opinions. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

A Keith Craft stroked 428 is a good combination and he's not extremely distant from you. A dual quad intake is great for looks and ripping through the gears but not the ticket for track work and it cost quite a bit. SC cars had single 4bbls anyway.

High capacity fan - yes, get it.

With your height and weight - I would be thinking about the quick release steering wheel. Patrick has it if you want to question him about it.

How big are your feet? Pedal spacing can be customized (because it is tight down there) I wear 12s and have the pedals spaced all the way apart and still have to wear a narrow sole shoe to drive it.

From what I've seen on this forum, Metal-Morphus does exceptional work. Not sure of their costs for a paint job but it would be top notch. Everyone seems happy with the paint jobs ERA commissions also.

ERAs are great.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinWest View Post
Did you height mods add to the cost?
No, I don't think they really did. Basically it involves the seat, which they make for you anyway, but for a tall person they just reduce it down and eliminate the seat track. Then they move it back a little bit when they bolt it to the floor, and they tilt it up in the front as well. Then they move the pedals back a couple of inches (towards the front of the car). This requires a different brake master cylinder, which costs about the same as the stock one anyway. And on mine they spread the pedals out a little because I have 12EEE feet, but th3ey still managed to keep a dead pedal, which is nice on longer drives. Then they ease the steering wheel up a bit with shims, and throw in a 15" Moto Lita with a Quick Release hub, if you ask them nicely. That's about it. The car fits me fine. But, you absolutely have to be there for a "butt in seat" test because it matters where your height is (foot to knee, knee to hip, hip to head, and how "padded" your butt is).
Old 06-14-2015, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #778 427SC Keith Craft FE 428 stroker
Not Ranked     

I agree with much that has been said here already. First, ERA is an excellent choice. Their quality is excellent; everything they do is first class. Second, your final cost will most likely be much closer to $90k. I did everything myself on a similar 427 S/C except build the engine and paint the car and exceeded $75k before it was done. Finally, I am sure you can save a lot of money by finding a completed car for sale in the same timeframe you discussed. I think many of the things you have mentioned as important can be retrofitted or swapped out on a completed car.

In my experience is is important to sit down with Peter with a full list of all of the things you want, or think you want, and discuss each point in detail. They can do practically anything, but they don't always offer it if you don't ask.

Best wishes on your adventure, no matter what you decide. Building and owning a Cobra is a truly unforgettable experience.

Still, if you are set on building, be sure
Old 06-14-2015, 08:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

You certainly picked the right Cobra, but you need to come on up and sit down with Peter and go through all the options and look at what you may and may not need. I built my car myself (ERA 718) nine years ago but I'm an FAA licensed aircraft and race car mechanic, so it wasn't a big deal to me. No better feeling than driving a car that you built yourself. ERA bonded the body and Tony Stefan (since deceased) did a fair paint job. A local machine shop did up a 428 of correct vintage and I went with a completely rebuilt CR Toploader. I also assembled a Jag rear w/3:31 posi and Spax shocks are fine. Peter can save you lots of cash by suggesting certain non-racing items and a streetable 428 is certainly the way to go. (you'll still have well over 400 HP). You can build a car within your budget I think, but you'll need to cut back on some things, and do other things yourself. Good luck with your dream, you only live once. Check my photos if you're curious.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

You have received a lot of excellent advice. An ERA is an excellent choice. Take a look at areas that you can cut back on, being that you are looking at a street able car. The motor is one area; a modestly built 428 will give you all the power that you will ever red (tons of low end torque), will have the FE look to it and could shave off some significant dollars. If down the line you feel the need for more power (which is doubtful given the weight of these cars), you can always pull the motor and have it upgraded. A lot easier to do that, than to try to upgrade other options.

Take the family for a vacation, or talk to Peter and make a visit to CT yourself. Good luck, you will not be disappointed.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I am with Patrick and others on most of this. I used to be really liking SPF's but I was won over by the used ERA I bought.

1) Go with the outboard brakes.
2) The Spax are fine and allow for full adjustment.
3) I have the six pen wheels and they are great.
4) Agree with the Avon comments.
5) I have the white pipes for exhaust and they are a lot of work to keep clean but look awesome when they are freshly painted.
6) I would get the biggest fan I could. I have heard Texas is bot.
7) The removeable steering wheel is a big help and I would recommend.
8) I have a Tonneau cover and never use it.
9) I too think your budget is a little low and $90k is probably close.

You can find what you are looking for used for much less than $90k. You just have to be patient. I liked the Gaurdsman, but the Indigo blue changed my mind.

Phil
Old 06-15-2015, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428FE
Not Ranked     

I highly recommend Metal-Morphous. Ron Randall does great work. While he was transforming my 11 year old ERA into the P-51 Cobra I had the opportunity to see the paint jobs he did on several other Cobras. His work is fantastic.

On options, my thoughts are:
Get the big brakes up front.
Pass on the ERA rear unless you are going to track the car.
Avon tires.
Leather seats.
Don't mix S/C and street options. I did and wish I hadn't (of course my car now looks like an airplane, so why listen to me!)
... and most important, its your car! Do what you want.

I used to live in Houston. Make sure you connect with the Houston Cobra
Club. They're a great bunch ... except for Jim D. ... and Kelly ... and Randy ... and Fester ... and Bill ... and Daryl ... and his other brother Daryl ... and all the other Jims ... and Jorge ... and Angelo ... might as well throw Boyd in there too ... and Bubbles (don't ask) ... but the wives are nice!

Rick
Old 06-15-2015, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None. Yet.
Not Ranked     

This thread has been fantastic, if a dose disheartening . But seriously, many thanks to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But, you absolutely have to be there for a "butt in seat" test because it matters where your height is (foot to knee, knee to hip, hip to head, and how "padded" your butt is).
This is another reason that I wanted to order a car. I know I can modify another car to fit me, but it's sure easier to have it done by the factory. FWIW, I sat in elmariachi's Hurricane and looked like this:

but I was able to drive it (which was amazing, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 778 View Post
I agree with much that has been said here already. First, ERA is an excellent choice. Their quality is excellent; everything they do is first class. Second, your final cost will most likely be much closer to $90k.
It seem like I was $15K-$20K off by not calculating for the "other stuff". That $20K could be a deal breaker. If I can get 90% of the car I want for $60K versus 100% of the car I want for $90K, I don't see how I can justify a factory-built car to order. That opinion may change, but that's where I'm sitting right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
You certainly picked the right Cobra, but you need to come on up and sit down with Peter and go through all the options and look at what you may and may not need... No better feeling than driving a car that you built yourself... Peter can save you lots of cash by suggesting certain non-racing items and a streetable 428 is certainly the way to go. (you'll still have well over 400 HP). You can build a car within your budget I think, but you'll need to cut back on some things, and do other things yourself. Good luck with your dream, you only live once. Check my photos if you're curious.
Posts like yours put me back in the "I want what I want, money be damned" camp . Part of me likes the idea of going with a ~425hp 428 and a Toploader to replicate the 60s Cobra experience. I'd certainly save some money that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 Cobra View Post
I used to live in Houston. Make sure you connect with the Houston Cobra
Club. They're a great bunch ... except for Jim D. ... and Kelly ... and Randy ... and Fester ... and Bill ... and Daryl ... and his other brother Daryl ... and all the other Jims ... and Jorge ... and Angelo ... might as well throw Boyd in there too ... and Bubbles (don't ask) ... but the wives are nice!
I've met a few of those guys at Cars & Coffee and HCC events. Definitely a good bunch. I think they have an event this weekend come to think of it.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
I'm going to throw this in just for you to take a look at. ERA's are outstanding replicas but in the ranking of replica's, this car is a couple notches above. You could paint it your desired color and put comp tires on it at your convenience.
I can personally vouch for the car too and it's originality.
Larry
PhotoPost Classifieds - Carbon Exact Cobra - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
In all my years looking into Cobras, I had never come across the Carbon Exact. It looks phenomenal. The proximity of the builder could be a good thing, but owning one of 12 (right?) is also pretty intimidating.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Yeah, I hear you about that. Really though, if you needed parts like suspension, steering etc, if they fit an original they would fit an Exact too. Johns car is really something to just listen to! Shakes the very ground!
BTW, Hurricanes do have a fair amount of room for tall guys.
Larry
Old 06-15-2015, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Yeah, I hear you about that. Really though, if you needed parts like suspension, steering etc, if they fit an original they would fit an Exact too. Johns car is really something to just listen to! Shakes the very ground!
BTW, Hurricanes do have a fair amount of room for tall guys.
Larry
Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Really though, if you needed parts like suspension, steering etc, if they fit an original they would fit an Exact too.
Would it be fair to say that if I don't fit in an original I won't fit in an Exact?

I'd hate to hack up something so nice.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LOL! You might not fit! Sorry!
Larry
Old 06-16-2015, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You can have your cake and eat it too.

I rebuilt a customer's 428CJ for his Mustang and got 425hp, with the factory cast iron heads, factory cast iron intake, and just a mild hydraulic roller. It would be very easy to sneak a few more ponies out and not break the bank.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Nice choice on the ERA.
The two obvious decisions for me are:
I would definitely would go with the 428 vs. the 427 for all the obvious reasons including cost. They make a ton of power and much more street friendly.
I would not go with a Toploader again. A great bulletproof tranny, but I would love to have a fifth gear. When mine blows or somebody wants to buy it, I am definitely going for a bullet proof 5 speed. All the Cobras I go on runs with are always doing 80 mph. My car can do that but the noise, high RPM's, vey poor MPG are certainly a hit, not to mention premature engine wear from always running higher RPM's on the highway, even at 65-70 mph. Visually you cant tell a 5 speed from a 4 speed.
Dave
Jdata likes this.
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear