Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2015, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
That sounds like a good deal even with shipping added on. Is that with a stock crank or a Scat stroker? Throw in a set of those nice Holman Moody valve covers and it would be hard to beat.
It's a true 390. Could make it a 445 for about $850 more.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
It's a true 390. Could make it a 445 for about $850 more.
... and pretty soon, *poof*, you're magically knocking on the 500/500 door (at least on the bench dyno with no pipes attached), but don't get me started.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

How much extra for one of those new FE blocks from the company that rose from the ashes of Genesis?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure Rod. I never did give much business to Genesis because of the horror stories I'd heard. I know that the "new" company isn't Genesis anymore, but I've had awfully good luck with Robert Pond and the new BBM blocks as well.

You're looking at ~$3300-3400 for the BBM cast iron block and ~$4700-4800 for a Pond aluminum piece.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Not sure Rod. I never did give much business to Genesis because of the horror stories I'd heard. I know that the "new" company isn't Genesis anymore, but I've had awfully good luck with Robert Pond and the new BBM blocks as well.

You're looking at ~$3300-3400 for the BBM cast iron block and ~$4700-4800 for a Pond aluminum piece.
This is more for the OP than me. Would that $3,350-ish be incremental cost increase over the 390 w/prep work? Maybe the OP could fit the new block into the the budget.

If I were building a new engine, then I'd likely opt for the Pond alloy block, although the Shelby block that I have is fine.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, it would be.

This is one of those scenarios where it's easy to get carried away. It's almost impossible for me to price out and market a "budget" engine and you can now see why. Even my 390's using factory cranks, rods, inexpensive oil pans, factory rockers, etc., are not "cheap" because of all the machine work involved, assembly involved, etc. I suppose I could do a very stock-ish style rebuild with Speed Pro pistons, cheap rings, bearings, and other parts, but that's just not the way I do things.

Once you get to a $10k engine, then you start asking questions like you're asking...."Well, if I'm already looking at $10k, would it be worthwhile to throw a few more bucks in for a stroker kit. What about an aftermarket block?" It's hard to stop at "budget".
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA 941 for sale. $75,000 obo. 462 ci FE with Aluminum Shelby block, aluminum Edelbrock heads. No affiliation.

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...b-1314x791.jpg
Old 06-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
ERA 941 for sale. $75,000 obo. 462 ci FE with Aluminum Shelby block, aluminum Edelbrock heads. No affiliation.

I know a teensy bit about that car. The "all-in" build cost was >$100k.

EDIT -- Ooops, my mistake. I don't know that car. But, for all I know, he may very well have over $100k invested.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-17-2015 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Mistake by Me
Old 06-17-2015, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I was thinking of that car..looks nice from the add.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 06-17-2015, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Couple of odd things about the ERA941 ad on Cobra Country. First, ERA has not built chassis number 941 yet. Also, the ad says the search started in 2009, build took two years, then the car was titled in 2009. Must be a relativity thing going on in Georgia.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
Couple of odd things about the ERA941 ad on Cobra Country. First, ERA has not built chassis number 941 yet. Also, the ad says the search started in 2009, build took two years, then the car was titled in 2009. Must be a relativity thing going on in Georgia.
Good point - my ERA is #782 and was delivered in early 2010. I thought something sounded odd about that number. Probably is #741 is my guess.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Good point - my ERA is #782 and was delivered in early 2010. I thought something sounded odd about that number. Probably is #741 is my guess.
My CSX block is #931. The ERA has CSX block #930. My engine was built late 2007, early 2008. So the ERA # of 941 is likely an error.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

So what do you guys think that car is worth ? Been for sale a while.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 06-18-2015, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Really nice ERAs typically sell between $50k and $60k. If the car is as nice as it appears and needs nothing, I say it is worth right around $60k.

Lesser quality or worn ERAs can be had for under $50k.

John
Old 06-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Really nice ERAs typically sell between $50k and $60k. If the car is as nice as it appears and needs nothing, I say it is worth right around $60k.

Lesser quality or worn ERAs can be had for under $50k.

John
Typically, ERA's have 428's in them, which, if Patrick is reading this, are faux FE's. That all-aluminum 427 engine with Shelby block and TKO600 trans combo are at least $25,000 together, probably more if built today. And seems to have all the various options such as a heater/defroster. The only POS item are the BFG TA's. If you can buy that car for $60K, then buy it NOW! But I'd be very surprised, if that sells for much less than $70K +/-.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Typically, ERA's have 428's in them, which, if Patrick is reading this, are faux FE's.
My entire car is faux! But I will tell you that I have turned down unsolicited offers (serious ones) that would drop your jaw.... And it's mostly because of the color.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
My entire car is faux! But I will tell you that I have turned down unsolicited offers (serious ones) that would drop your jaw.... And it's mostly because of the color.

Seriously, I thought you said there was unaminity (100% as I recall) about beige.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Seriously, I thought you said there was unaminity (100% as I recall) about beige.
Ok I'll admit it! I like the beige.
Its polarizing and unique, just like our Pat.
It grows on you like moss or a barnacle

But those two padded roll bars... yikes... they'd knock a premium off anyone's offer price.

As for our OP.
Any reason you wouldn't buy a used ERA and modify/restore/re-build to your tastes?
Seems the most logical way to go if you were keen to enter the fray on a strict budget.

Last edited by Dimis; 06-18-2015 at 05:24 PM..
Old 06-18-2015, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just a heads up, Richy's Auto Collosion off Veteran Memorial (Houston) does exceptional paint and body. He specialized in Corvettes. He reworked a Superformance hood for me and nailed it. Everybody else wanted to repaint the car or at least the front half. Matching existing paint is much harder than painting from fresh. His fiberglass repair was also flawless. Corvette owners are painfully picky as are Cobra owners.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None. Yet.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
As for our OP.
Any reason you wouldn't buy a used ERA and modify/restore/re-build to your tastes?
Seems the most logical way to go if you were keen to enter the fray on a strict budget.
If I can get what I want without having to redo stuff like paint, I'll very seriously consider used. There was a black ERA with a 427 S/O that sold for $50K here in Houston not long ago. I saw the car, and while not Guardsman Blue, it was great. I'm kicking myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Just a heads up, Richy's Auto Collosion off Veteran Memorial (Houston) does exceptional paint and body.
That's GREAT to know - thank you! I had thought about Naber's Motors in Belaire, but glad to know there's a place in town that's actually worked on a Cobra.