Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 05:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Here: Trigo Wheels | Wheels For Your Cobra! and when you click on the Alignment Tool it says it's only for 5 pins.

You know, I vaguely remember Doug telling me that 5 pins where a PITA when I was visiting ERA's shop. But I had already spec'd out 6 pin hubs, so I wasn't really paying attention to anything regarding the 5 pin jobs. In fact, I could just be imagining that conversation and it never really happened.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Patrick,

That conversation probably did happen. I was waffling between 5 and 6 pin hubs and asked Doug about the differences between them during a visit. Doug hates the 5 pin adapters and talked me into the 6 pin hubs.

A lot of guys have the 5 pin adapter set-up with no problems so probably is still a preference rather than an absolute need. Doug's main points were that the 6 pin hubs are stronger, wheels go on and off easier and they're stainless steel - won't rust. They are a work of art. Hidden art, but art just the same.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input! I've decided to go with the 5 pin wheels with adapters. I think this Wilwood kit will upgrade the brakes nicely.

Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Front Brake Kit Product Number: 140-10738-D

There's some modifications needed to the spindles to make them work but it looks fairly straight forward. That will give me plenty of front brakes and I'll see about getting vented rotors for the back, helping with the cooling.

Nobody has chimed in about the exhaust question. Maybe I'll start a separate thread regarding the exhaust in a few days. I think I put in too many topics in one thread.

Thanks again.

Kim
Old 02-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Brake pads can be changed out in mere minutes, and if you were to bring it to the track, you can install Hawk racing pads, then change back for regular driving. I don't think any modifications are necessary to your spindles for the Wilwood brake calipers, just size the rotors properly.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimbeau View Post

Nobody has chimed in about the exhaust question. Maybe I'll start a separate thread regarding the exhaust in a few days. I think I put in too many topics in one thread.

Thanks again.

Kim
I'm guessing you don't have the car in your possession yet - where you can take a picture of the headers currently on it? On the 427 model the undercar exhaust header pieces look like the same ones for the side pipe car - but I think they may be angled differently off of the head. The same may be true of the small block cars. The small block cars may use a conventional header for all I know.

This is one of those type ERA questions that the best approach is to call ERA and talk to Doug. He can probably answer it in 2 minutes.

Probably a smart move on the 5 pins and rear suspension, or at least a cost effective one. I suspect (I could be wrong) that the 289 rear may have a 3.77 differential or something like that and most of the 427 builders are not going to want something that high. Grubby re-sold his Jag rear end but it was a 427 geared model and he had a bigger audience to rely on in selling it. You might PM him to see what his change over cost him total - but I suspect with front and rear brakes, hubs, wheels and rear suspension, that it was probably still a $6,000 bill after re-sell of the Jag suspension and wheels.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

DanEC,

You win the door prize. Without pulling out the files, I remember the cost being $5600.

Cool is expensive sometimes.

John
Old 02-23-2016, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
In fact, I could just be imagining that conversation and it never really happened.
Now that sounds dangerous.... Please don't listen to all those voices in your head...
Old 02-23-2016, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
Brake pads can be changed out in mere minutes, and if you were to bring it to the track, you can install Hawk racing pads, then change back for regular driving. I don't think any modifications are necessary to your spindles for the Wilwood brake calipers, just size the rotors properly.
That's a good idea, changing out the pads for the track. The 6 piston brake kit does require cutting off the "ears" that hold the GM caliper to the spindle and then enlarging and tapping 2 existing holes. Less than an hour to do both I would guess. Does anyone know if the ERA front spindles are a stock GM item or do they make their own?
Old 02-23-2016, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I'm guessing you don't have the car in your possession yet - where you can take a picture of the headers currently on it? On the 427 model the undercar exhaust header pieces look like the same ones for the side pipe car - but I think they may be angled differently off of the head. The same may be true of the small block cars. The small block cars may use a conventional header for all I know.

This is one of those type ERA questions that the best approach is to call ERA and talk to Doug. He can probably answer it in 2 minutes.

Probably a smart move on the 5 pins and rear suspension, or at least a cost effective one. I suspect (I could be wrong) that the 289 rear may have a 3.77 differential or something like that and most of the 427 builders are not going to want something that high. Grubby re-sold his Jag rear end but it was a 427 geared model and he had a bigger audience to rely on in selling it. You might PM him to see what his change over cost him total - but I suspect with front and rear brakes, hubs, wheels and rear suspension, that it was probably still a $6,000 bill after re-sell of the Jag suspension and wheels.
I don't get delivery on the car for about a week. So instead of biting my nails until then, I'm doing some of the research for the mods. I won't know what I'm dealing with until I see how the undercar exhaust is routed. It might be cheaper for me to buy a new set of headers and build my own side pipes and then try to find a buyer for the complete undercar exhaust. I came across a scratch build thread that had a cool looking 289 side pipe construction...something I could tack together myself with a few inexpensive parts. It had a great comp car look to them. Not very accurate but the guys racing these cars did whatever they wanted with the exhaust. Lynn Park has a 289 with pipes inset into the body like a Daytona, it,s very cool!

And the price tag for an ERA rear with 6 pin hubs all around comes in at just under $10k, doesn't include wheels...current price...talked to Peter today.
Attached Images

Last edited by Akimbeau; 02-24-2016 at 07:41 AM..
Old 02-24-2016, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimbeau View Post
That's a good idea, changing out the pads for the track. The 6 piston brake kit does require cutting off the "ears" that hold the GM caliper to the spindle and then enlarging and tapping 2 existing holes. Less than an hour to do both I would guess. Does anyone know if the ERA front spindles are a stock GM item or do they make their own?
We've made our own uprights for about 10 years. Before that, we modified the Camaro ones by shortening the steering arm. The new ones use a bolt-on intermediate bracket that mounts the caliper. It's a relatively simple thing to mount almost any caliper as long as the offset is within specs.
ZOERA-SC7XX likes this.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
We've made our own uprights for about 10 years. Before that, we modified the Camaro ones by shortening the steering arm. The new ones use a bolt-on intermediate bracket that mounts the caliper. It's a relatively simple thing to mount almost any caliper as long as the offset is within specs.
Thanks for the info! My car is chassis #2048 and is about 14yrs old. Also, the offset for the 6 piston brake kit is -1/4" so I'm thinking with adding the 5 pin adapters at +3/8" that I'll be pretty close to the original wheel position. It just occurred to me, I wonder if the 5 pin wheels have a different offset to compensate for the adapters?

Last edited by Akimbeau; 02-24-2016 at 07:37 AM..
Old 02-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I doubt it. You can't tell the difference unless you remove the wheel (or check the invoice). I have the ERA manufactured spindles and they are every bit as good as Howe racing spindles.