Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Fiel Tank Mods for EFI

I am researching putting an eight stack EFI on my ERA 289. Has anybody had experience modifying the stock ERA 289 tank for return lines, vent, in-tank fuel pump, etc. for an EFI system.

Thanks!

Kim

Last edited by Akimbeau; 03-16-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The FIA tank sits above the rear suspension, the 427 tank is behind it. They share no parts and are a completely different design.
The tap on the FIA tank is on the center/bottom. It's difficult to put a return line in any place but proximately close to that one. The other alternative is to install a separate tank somewhere that takes a feed from the main tank and runs two lines to the front: feed and return. There's some room behind the left rear wheel that might be OK for a custom tank.
rads42 and 66gtk like this.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the clarifications, Bob. I'll edit my original post to keep the 427 crowd away. Would it be possible to install a return line on the top of the tank and use a rigid tube to get the return fuel to exit low in the tank? I've heard it's not advisable to have the return fuel enter the tank above the fuel level.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimbeau View Post
Thanks for the clarifications, Bob. I'll edit my original post to keep the 427 crowd away. Would it be possible to install a return line on the top of the tank and use a rigid tube to get the return fuel to exit low in the tank? I've heard it's not advisable to have the return fuel enter the tank above the fuel level.
It's really tight above the tank, and running a hard line down the side might make it impossible to get the tank in or out. My original description still stands. If you have to, weld a bung next to the current one in the bottom/center of the tank. There may even be room toward the left side to enter the tank on the other side of the longitudinal baffle so that you get better thermal mixing. With that method, I suspect that the panel below the tank will have to be modified.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Copy that...thanks Bob! Is there a schematic of the tank construction so I can see where the interior baffles are placed?

Kim
Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimbeau View Post
Copy that...thanks Bob! Is there a schematic of the tank construction so I can see where the interior baffles are placed?

Kim
PM sent.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can another tank be ordered to accommodate the in tank fuel pump and return line? I know there has to be other FIA 289 owners that are running EFI, what did they do? Are there any other options for in the tank fuel pumps and EFI?
Old 04-17-2020, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We can probably modify the tank for an in-tank pump but I'd like to have the pump to confirm. If it can't share nicely with the sender, we might have to start from the beginning. What in-tank pump do you want to use?
Old 04-17-2020, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob, can you send me the schematic so I can share with the pump manufacturer to find a good fit?

Thanks,
Craig
Old 04-17-2020, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
The other alternative is to install a separate tank somewhere that takes a feed from the main tank and runs two lines to the front: feed and return. There's some room behind the left rear wheel that might be OK for a custom tank.
I would seriously consider doing THIS. I don't know how to do it but the reasoning is solid. I had difficulty with EFI on my 427, even with the baffled ERA tank. It wasn't sufficient without the in-tank pump to keep up once fuel levels got below about half full. Having a surrogate tank with the pump in it would mean you always have enough fuel for instant demand needs.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Take a look at Holley's new EFI in tank pump. It is designed to replace your current pickup and does not require a return line. It also has a hydramat to prevent fuel starvation.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...urnless_style/
Old 04-18-2020, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Chicagowil! I also came across this from FiTech. For those who might need to use a secondary tank. Holds 1/2 gallon of gas. The Force Fuel connects to a stock mechanical or electric fuel pump then supplies the EFI system with high pressure through the use of an internal 340-LPH pump.

https://fitechefi.com/product/force-fuel-system/
Old 04-21-2020, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob, How can we figure out if a standard tank can be modified or if we have to look at other options? Will these fuel pumps work? One is returnless and the other is a return style. Please advise.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-135

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-134

Thanks,
Craig
Old 04-22-2020, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Both of those are about 1.25" tall, so will require a well installed into the top of the tank. The one we use on the 427 tank might work. If not we can fabricate a custom dish.
Still, I'd recommend an external surge tank instead. It's a lot simpler, especially if you ever have to service the pump.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great, thanks Bob!!
Old 04-22-2020, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob, Where is the best place for the surge tank? Behind the left rear wheel or somewhere else? What size space is available behind the left rear wheel and if a surge tank is secured there, can a return line be run from the primary fuel tank to wherever the surge tank is located?

Craig
Old 04-23-2020, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Look at what spare space you have within a rear wheel well, as example.

I have seen many cars modified in this way, and even high horsepower EFI cars.

Your current tank needs to supply the surge tank with a low pressure pump, typically a Holley electric pump meant for carburetion.

https://www.enginebasics.com/Advance...ge%20Tank.html

Fuel surge tank example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-F...YAAOSwEeFVBCEE

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 04-23-2020 at 02:40 AM..
Old 04-23-2020, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On an FIA car there is a compartment for the battery behind the right rear wheel. I imagine it would simply be replicated for the most part on the left side - should be room for that tank and pump if you can imagine it to be the approximate size of a car battery.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
On an FIA car there is a compartment for the battery behind the right rear wheel. I imagine it would simply be replicated for the most part on the left side - should be room for that tank and pump if you can imagine it to be the approximate size of a car battery.
So that would be in the trunk space? Mounting a surge tank is only half the problem, a return line is a must have... I'm hoping Bob can reply regarding the space and return line or EFI might be out! I honestly didn't think EFI would be such a problem in the FIA....
Old 04-24-2020, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post
So that would be in the trunk space? Mounting a surge tank is only half the problem, a return line is a must have... I'm hoping Bob can reply regarding the space and return line or EFI might be out! I honestly didn't think EFI would be such a problem in the FIA....
It's in the volume behind the left rear wheel. There is a panel equivalent to the one in front of the battery. It's held in place with a few bolts that can be seen from the front. The biggest challenge will be bypassing the normal fuel line path into that area.