Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Good old NHV measures. The street is one thing and the race track another.
Well, NHV is a new one to me, so rather than embarass myself here, I figger'd I'd Google it...

Rank Abbr. Meaning
NHV Nordiska Högskolan för Folkhälsovetenskap (Swedish: Nordic School of Public Health)
NHV Nederlands Handbal Verbond (Dutch: Netherlands Handball Association)
NHV Noordzee Helikopters Vlaanderen (Dutch; Belgian helicopter transport company)

NHV Norddeutscher Handball Verband
NHV New Hungarian Voice (Vancouver Hungarian paper)
NHV Normal Healthy Volunteer (clinical trials)
NHV Nurse Home Visitor
NHV Normal Heat Value
NHV Net Heat Value (biomass)
NHV New Haven (Amtrak station code; New Haven, CT)

Yeah, not terribly helpful. Adding "steering" and scrolling down a few hits and I discovered Noise, Harshness, and Vibration. Personally I was hoping for Normal Healthy Volunteer!
Old 11-05-2017, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm mostly trying to avoid a DNF.
That sounds like a good plan - finishing is a good thing. I've had to be towed a couple times in the last 5 or 6 years but not in the ERA so far.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Resolved

Bob was kind enough to ship me out two custom rubber bushings, gratis, thank you very much. Here is the result: https://youtu.be/CgxrbdyVe8k

Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Much better!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Well, NHV is a new one to me, so rather than embarass myself here, I figger'd I'd Google it...
Sorry - Noise, Harshness & Vibration. The nemesis of many automotive designers/engineers. I've got one of those flat-crank, Voodoo powered Mustangs with an 8250 rpm red line. Apparently Ford spent a ton of money for NHV measures on it since it tends to have a vibration issues due to the crank and firing order. Jeez - they even require that the oil filter be torqued to 16 - 18 lb-ft since they have had some of them come off.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bob was kind enough to ship me out two custom rubber bushings, gratis, thank you very much. Here is the result: https://youtu.be/CgxrbdyVe8k

So no steering rack brace project for our viewing enjoyment this winter huh?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So no steering rack brace project for our viewing enjoyment this winter huh?
Naaah, I don't think it's necessary. Now, if Morris and Cobra #3170 want to fly out and kill a weekend for my benefit, I suppose I might just unlock the garage door for them.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Glad to see it.......very good experiment and right on the mark

But how long will it last ???
Old 11-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Now can you fix the beige?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
But how long will it last ???
When I went back and checked my records, I was able to see evidence of deterioration as early as 8 years ago -- a "lucky" picture caught it. When the car was built, the bushings looked perfect from the shots I have of them. But none of those pictures show how the bushing is seated towards the rear of the frame bracket. It is possible that the driver's side bushing was not seated exactly right, which is certainly doable, and that would cause the early failure. Rest assured though that I will be monitoring the wear of the bushings.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sorry - Noise, Harshness & Vibration. The nemesis of many automotive designers/engineers. I've got one of those flat-crank, Voodoo powered Mustangs with an 8250 rpm red line. Apparently Ford spent a ton of money for NHV measures on it since it tends to have a vibration issues due to the crank and firing order. Jeez - they even require that the oil filter be torqued to 16 - 18 lb-ft since they have had some of them come off.
Dan,
No problem and thanks for elaborating. I still prefer "Normal Healthy Volunteer".
Old 11-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FWIW, this is the bad bushing that I pulled off the driver's side mount. Yes, this is what it looked like when it was on my car; meaning, my removal did not make it worse by tugging on it, ripping it, etc. When you remove the brackets and drop the rack, the bushings are pretty much just sitting there. Now, the passenger side looked to be in very nice condition, but on closer inspection, there was one small crack in it as well. If you have ERA 759 or later, you don't have this type of setup.

ACHiPo likes this.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you have ERA 759 or later, you don't have this type of setup.

Yeah - I haven't crawled under there to refresh my memory but seems it's solidly bolted to the frame now.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Dan,
No problem and thanks for elaborating. I still prefer "Normal Healthy Volunteer".
I kind of liked Nurse Home Visitor. It's probably not too many years off in my future.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah - I haven't crawled under there to refresh my memory but seems it's solidly bolted to the frame now.
Changing out the steering rack, even with post-Subaru-frame-mount cars (759 and up) is still going to be a medium PITA if you have to do it. The Flaming River rack, I think, is modified by ERA to change not only the lock-to-lock value but also the inner tie rods as well. I think that's right; I know my FR rack probably took as much labor time to modify, so that it mimicked the Subaru rack, that it doubled the original price. The steering racks on the Kirkham cars are also a bit of a PITA too. It must a be a "Cobra thing."
Old 11-09-2017, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I kind of liked Nurse Home Visitor. It's probably not too many years off in my future.

Didn't find a Nurse Ratchet emoticon, else I'd a used it!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... The steering racks on the Kirkham cars are also a bit of a PITA too. It must a be a "Cobra thing."
The challenge is ending up with minimal bumpsteer. The pivot-to-pivot distance of the rack ends must be within about 1/2" of ideal. Because I really like lots of wheel travel, I had to make the control arms pretty long. That puts the inner pivots close to the car's center-line - and that makes the rack shorter than what is available on later cars.
Morris and ACHiPo like this.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
The challenge is ending up with minimal bumpsteer. The pivot-to-pivot distance of the rack ends must be within about 1/2" of ideal. Because I really like lots of wheel travel, I had to make the control arms pretty long. That puts the inner pivots close to the car's center-line - and that makes the rack shorter than what is available on later cars.
... and that sounds like a damn good reason to me. Thanks for the good customer service, like always.
cobra and Pete Munroe like this.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
You did a great job Bob. I'm always amazed at how well these cars are engineered and drive.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You did a great job Bob. I'm always amazed at how well these cars are engineered and drive.
I was just thinking the same thing!