Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Bob P. - What's Wrong with this Picture?

OK, after more than a decade, maybe it's time to replace my steering rack mounting bushings. I ordered Energy Suspension #15.10.199.39, which I think is the right part, but they don't give you pictures on the Energy Suspension parts web site, so you kinda have to shoot in the dark. I'll know when they come. Do you guys put any grease on these bushings? Or do you install them dry? Am I going to need to drop the rack, or am I going to be able to squeeze them in after just taking off the brackets? And, yes, I see those funky little spacers in there under the bracket -- I'll try not to lose them, but no guaranties.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Interesting...
The "Subaru style" was a long time ago, but we ended up having the bushing custom-molded by Energy Suspension because we couldn't get the original ones anywhere. If the ones you receive aren't correct, we've still got a bunch here.
The only lube I would use is some silicone spray. It helps preserve the rubber and makes installation easier.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

That appears to be a Flaming River rack #FR1502 3X3 that you all modified to remove the little circular mounts by grinding them off flush. Remember, this was back in early 2006.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That appears to be a Flaming River rack #FR1502 3X3 that you all modified to remove the little circular mounts by grinding them off flush. Remember, this was back in early 2006.
You are correct. We machined the housing to duplicate the previously-used Subaru rack. We wanted to avoid changing the chassis brackets. For a while, there were companies that could supply rebuilt Subaru units, but they eventually dried up, so we changed the basic setup.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
You are correct. We machined the housing to duplicate the previously-used Subaru rack. We wanted to avoid changing the chassis brackets. For a while, there were companies that could supply rebuilt Subaru units, but they eventually dried up, so we changed the basic setup.
OK, will you pop two of the rubber insulators that fit there in the mail to me? I'm still at the same address. Include an invoice should you feel the need. I'm pretty sure the Energy Suspension part that I ordered is not the right one. I really should have known better, since it was only four dollars. Thanks.
genolan likes this.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat,

Will do.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Pat,

Will do.
Muchas gracias. You know, in an effort to do a "Morris-Level R&R" on this job which, let's face it, is basically the benchmark for going as far as you can go on these cars (whether warranted or not), I think I'll put my magnetic dial indicator on the frame and steering rack to see what the lateral play is with the bushings I have now versus the new ones when turned with full weight on the wheels. I don't know if there's a spec for steering rack float, but I would suspect zero is the target.
Morris and 1795 like this.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

I agree......
Ron61 and 1795 like this.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Measuring Steering Rack Float

Here's a video of the steering rack float with a dial indicator on it -- now remember, it still has the bad bushing on there. All comments welcome. If it doesn't embed right, please click here to view it: https://youtu.be/gjhUpHmH_cI

Last edited by patrickt; 11-04-2017 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Yay! Fixed the embed.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Can't read the dial indicator--is that ~+0.050" ?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Can't read the dial indicator--is that ~+0.050" ?
Yes, it's the same as most dial indicators. Each little mark is .001" and all the way around once is .1" -- if you go around ten full times you've moved one inch.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

OK This is just the bad bushing "baseline" test - correct? And you're planning to repeat with the new bushings and hoping to see a significant difference /reduction in play. Have I got this right?
Old 11-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
OK This is just the bad bushing "baseline" test - correct? And you're planning to repeat with the new bushings and hoping to see a significant difference /reduction in play. Have I got this right?
Yes, you have that right. I'm patiently awaiting the new bushings from Bob. But, if any of the "real" Cobra mechanics out there have an opinion on steering rack float specs, I'm all ears.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

and i came to this thread hoping to see the latest in Patrick's manicure, but alas I am riddled with disappointment. i guess it's better than riddled with bullets.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

You think there’s a reason why all race cars bolt their steering rack to the chassis???.....

When you are racing.....we concentrated on being right on the apex of the turn....not 3” away.....so you can’t have any movement in the steering rack.

If you are off the apex ....you will scrub speed and not get around the corner at speed.....so turn-in is a major part when negotiating a corner.....

No movement is allowed on the rack.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Assuming the new bushings (which Bob says are on the way) don't reduce float to near zero with my little "back and forth" test, then fabbing up a brace from the middle part of the rack to the two adjacent frame rails (where the bushings mount) would not be difficult. That would eliminate lateral float. That's a nice winter time project.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With rubber, there will always be a bit of compliance - but that shouldn't translate into any noticeable play on the street. The rubber is there to absorb high-frequency vibrations transmitted from the suspension.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Good old NHV measures. The street is one thing and the race track another.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:30 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I don't know how I managed to shred that one particular bushing, but I did. Over on the Jaguar forums they're complaining of their racks moving one full inch laterally. Yes, that's one full inch.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Good old NHV measures. The street is one thing and the race track another.
NHV is nice to avoid.... But, when I take her out for a run, I'm mostly trying to avoid a DNF.