Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By patrickt
  • 1 Post By Karl Bebout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2018, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2092
Not Ranked     
Default red charge light in dash

Hi, I know the car's are not wired for the red alt/charge light, but thought there was a drawing online here that showed how to make it functional. any help would be great thanks Bob
Old 11-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

ERA uses the same standard wiring setup for an ignition light that was used on a billion different cars in the sixties. It's very easy to do. Here's the schematic:

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

You'll need to run another wire from the voltage regulator to the warning light (after disconnecting the red jumper at the regulator). You'll need a wire from the fuel level power to the light and to a shunt resistor. I'll check on Monday whether I've got all the details worked out somewhere. I may have already done it for the older 427s.

* Looks like Pat found it for me...
Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thank you both for the quick reply
Old 11-24-2018, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Rather than a charge light, I used my red indicator light for my radiator fan. I'm hard of hearing and more than once, I'd left my fan running, after having used the manual switch. Fortunately, someone passing by did notice and brought it to my attention. Now, with the red light glaring me in the eye, I always know the fan is running. Just another 2¢ plain.
desgros@vtlink. likes this.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

Or another option (if you are looking for options), I made my red indicator serve as a low oil pressure warning light. Wired in with a standard idiot light sender that you can purchase at any auto parts store. It also serves as ignition on light when engine is not running.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Charging light

Amazon has a complete unit, I use it and it’s perfect
I can’t get the picture to up load
It’s called low voltage sensor for alternators
Old 11-25-2018, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     

The Slabside wiring diagram Peter sent me last week shows the circuit Patrick posted. If that circuit's not implemented (i.e. the red light is unused), what's connected to the I terminal on the regulator? Is it the red jumper Bob mentioned?
Old 11-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

No, if you're not going to use the red light, then you need to wire it a bit differently. Like this:

Old 11-26-2018, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All FIAs and early (> chassis 634) used the system w/o the ignition light. Later 427s and all Slabsides use a warning light (the I connection is used).
Old 11-26-2018, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks Bob
Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

I have the Lucas red warning light (for authenticity) but have not wired it up yet. I have the Powermaster 1-wire internally regulated alternator. I found this Ron Francis unit on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Low-Volt-Sens...cm_wl_huc_item

But it doesnt give instructions on where to install it or how to wire it up - has anyone tried this?

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

If you go to his web site, you will be able to find the following installation guide, which is NOT on Amazon (Sadly).... here is the link to the guide.... it also explains the function to some degree.
I wonder what the definition of Low Voltage is however? Less that 12.6V? It does not say. Looks to be a fairly simple hookup.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/images/LS11-INST.pdf

Last edited by 66AC; 11-28-2018 at 03:41 AM..
Old 11-28-2018, 04:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66AC View Post
I wonder what the definition of Low Voltage is however? Less that 12.6V? It does not say.
From the wiring instructions:
Quote:
The low voltage sensor has been designed to monitor the vehicles charging system. If the vehicle voltage drops below approximately 11 volts the module mounted L.E.D light will illuminate indicating a problem.
Eleven volts? I don't know how helpful that really is.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

Yah that seems pretty low IMHO, It would be nice to have some dip switches to set the low limit but that would certainly ADD to the overall cost of the device. BTW the Ron Francis website has loads of really nice stuff. I especially like the shrink wrap tubing that looks like old school woven fabric.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

I realize this is an older thread, however I did want to share with you all that I decided to add the Ron Francis LS-11 low voltage sensor. Even though it triggers at 11V , which I know is low ...

Background:
I have a 1wire Alternator/No Voltage Regulator in ... SPO2454 so the Red Warning light is Non-functioning as-is in the dash.

My rationale is:
1) My Headlights are wired "ON" during normal driving which puts a constant load, around 5-6amps on my system during driving/ignition switch ON.
2) I turn my cooling fans on at around 90C (rather than let the auto sensor at 100C turn them on). I believe they draw close to 20amps..
I felt these loads would definitely accelerate draining my battery quickly if my alternate fails...

My hook up of the LS-11 was pretty easy. There is an Extra Switched Ignition HOT line that I used off the fuse box. For the GND I used the chassis where the 12V cigarette lighter/auxiliary port is.

Anyway .. just wanted to share my logic..
Many thanks...

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Old 06-29-2020, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IMHO, 11V is way too low to be useful. It means the battery hasn't been charged in a long while. ~12.2V (engine above idle speed) is a good indication that the system is malfunctioning, either from a a super-high draw or low output from the alternator.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

You do realize that you have an ammeter gauge that will let you know if your charging system is or isn’t working properly?
Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, '65 427/MKIII with Roush V8 - 351W w/770cfm 4BBL Holley, 514hp
Not Ranked     

Thanks all....
Yes I do realize the ammeter indicates charging or not.... However my ammeter like others will go into Neg range with Fans/Headlights ON occasionally when my battery is fully charged during cruising ...

I just feel that the Red Light is there for a reason, it was designed into the Cobra for a purpose and thus I added the LS11 11V sensor. It will most likely never go on, probably considered wasteful ...

Many thanks for the comments..... thanks again.

Mark

Superformance: SPO2454 , Titanium w/Black Stripes
Engine: Roush 427SR w/770cfm 4-Barrel Holley
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Old 06-29-2020, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF supplied the body,frame,and some of the driveline-I completed it to be a very accurate 289 slabside
Not Ranked     

I used the original Ford pickup bed cargo light indicator light that was used in the 289 slabsides . It comes apart to allow me to install three tiny "grain of wheat" bulbs (available from hobby shops.) Two are wired in parallel (for redundancy) to an oil pressure "idiot light" sensor and one is wired as a charge light. My theory as to why Shelby wanted such a big light in easy view is that in a race if you lost a fan belt it would alert the driver. In contrast he picked the tiniest light in Ford's parts box for the high beam indicator as it wouldn't distract the driver in a race. That light was used in 1940 Ford pickups!