Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's interesting, the pipes do look different. It reminds me of pipes that we would do long ago on cars that we would cut the tubs out of the engine bay (on cars where they weren't integral) and you could see the pipes from outside the car by looking behind the front wheels. I used to think that was about the coolest look I had ever seen. When you saw it, you knew somebody had done some serious tweaking to the car.
"Fender well Headers" I had them on a high rider "gasser" 56 chevy I built in in the 70's.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I did more investigation on the length of the exhaust system in order to understand the difference between the two sides.

I measured the overall length of both sides. Passenger side is 52 7/8 and driver side is 52 1/4, so the passenger side is 5/8 inches longer. This does not explain the difference in proximity to the rear tire (passenger side is 1 3/4 closer).

The passenger side cylinder head is 1 inch forward as compared to the driver side. This is the connecting rod offset.

The passenger side pipes exit the body of the car 20 inches behind the center of the front wheel. The driver side pipes exit the body 19 inches behind the center of the front wheel. This means that the primary headers on the passenger side have a 2 inch aftward bias built in as compared to the driver side.

The aftward bias on the passenger side of the primaries explains 1 inch of the difference in proximity to the rear wheel. That leaves 3/4 inches to be explained. On my car, the exhaust exit (past the baffle) is 1/2 longer on the passenger side as compared to the driver side, leaving only 1/4 inch difference. This 1/4 inch is probably within my measurement error.

So, to get the pipes perfectly symmetrical, one would have to remake the primaries to move the passenger side exit forward by an inch, and then shorten the exit section on the passenger side by 1/2 inch.

Remaking the primaries on one side is too much trouble to me, and the offset in them may be there for a reason. This extra inch could also be taken out the of length ahead of the collector. If I were having new side pipes made, I would just make sure the exit section is the same on both sides and call it good.
rads42 likes this.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Thanks RockBit, this is great information. Georgie from GasN Pipes is watching this thread and your information should help immensely creating an alternative source for ERA side pipes since Stainless Specialties is now out of business. My new pipes should be ready by February and I will post side by side pictures(SS/GasN) and then pictures of the new pipes installed on the car.
rads42 likes this.

Last edited by sea2jet; 11-02-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Old 11-02-2020, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

One thing I noticed in the photo of RockBit's pipes (post #18) is the spacing between the pipes on the collector. If you look at Patrick's and my photos, the pipes are tightly grouped together. Also, since my baffles are longer and presumably quiet pipes, but are actually pretty loud, it sounds like Stainless Specialties made changes over time.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
One thing I noticed in the photo of RockBit's pipes (post #18) is the spacing between the pipes on the collector. If you look at Patrick's and my photos, the pipes are tightly grouped together.
The individual pipes should be grouped tightly together. The gaps between mine are my main complaint about them.

I’m anxious to see how the GasN pipes turn out.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #720
Not Ranked     

I am too.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2jet View Post
Rockbit,
You mentioned that your passenger pipe was longer than the drivers side. What was the difference in length between the two? Thanks.
The pipes are the same length. The noted difference is because the passenger side cylinder bank / head is offset the thickness of a connecting rod to the rear.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Any differences in the exhaust ports from one side of the block to the other, wouldn't that be accounted for and taken out of the equation by the bends of the header tubes? The exit hole in the body is in the same absolute position from one side of the car to the other, no?

Last edited by sd427; 11-04-2020 at 08:54 AM..
Old 11-04-2020, 08:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd427 View Post
Any differences in the exhaust ports from one side of the block to the other, wouldn't that be accounted for and taken out of the equation by the bends of the header tubes? The exit hole in the bodywork is in the same absolute position from one side of the car to the other, no?
You'd think so. It's not like the side pipes aren't custom made for each side of the car. Right? When was the last time somebody said "hmmm, I wonder which side of the car these pipes go on?"
Old 11-04-2020, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You'd think so. It's not like the side pipes aren't custom made for each side of the car. Right? When was the last time somebody said "hmmm, I wonder which side of the car these pipes go on?"
I did try that but burned my ear on the side pipe
Old 11-05-2020, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
The pipes are the same length. The noted difference is because the passenger side cylinder bank / head is offset the thickness of a connecting rod to the rear.
Very definitive statements. You do realize we are talking about an ERA with an FE, right?
Old 11-05-2020, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd427 View Post
Any differences in the exhaust ports from one side of the block to the other, wouldn't that be accounted for and taken out of the equation by the bends of the header tubes? The exit hole in the body is in the same absolute position from one side of the car to the other, no?
On my ERA, the body cutout on the passenger side is 1/2 inch aft as compared to the drivers side. Who knew?
Old 11-06-2020, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
On my ERA, the body cutout on the passenger side is 1/2 inch aft as compared to the drivers side. Who knew?
Many (20?) years ago we shifted the primary pipe position on the driver's side forward to clear our footbox - which we had extended for more leg room.

On our very early kits we used primary pipes that were (theoretically) replacement for the Shelby factory Comp pipes.
rads42 likes this.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

The Stainless Specialties mufflers can be mounted to two directions. Since I was losing my hearing, I mounted them with the internal scoops facing forward. Now I can actually talk to my passenger and my ears are improving. The opposite way is much louder.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The Stainless Specialties mufflers can be mounted to two directions. Since I was losing my hearing, I mounted them with the internal scoops facing forward. Now I can actually talk to my passenger and my ears are improving. The opposite way is much louder.
I've had two sets of sidepipes from Stainless Specialty and neither set had the internal scoops. There were just holes drilled through the the inner wall. The first set was what I received from ERA when I first bought the car back in 2002. The second was after I sent them back to Stainless Specialty around 2012 to have the muffler portion cut out and replaced.

Chris
Old 11-10-2020, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe Georgie at GasN can take some pictures when they’re building my side pipes in January and post them. It would be interesting to see how they are made. He’s also cutting open my drivers side Stainless Specialties pipe to fix a rattle, presumably the baffle came loose. I’ll sell those after installing his new pipes if anyone is interested.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #720
Not Ranked     

Any update on this? I'm curious about the GasN pipes on an ERA.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Georgie can not get the bent 2” pipe going from the header to collector needed to build my new pipes due to COVID-19. He’s installing new mufflers into my rattling SS pipes to get me by until he can build me a new set of his pipes. Getting my old pipes back in 2 weeks.
rads42 likes this.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My pipes from GasN are at the polishers. I should have an update/pictures as soon as I receive them.
rads42 likes this.