Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By my427cobra
  • 1 Post By Blackbart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2021, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #804
Not Ranked     
Default Wipers do not work ERA 804

My wipers have stopped working on ERA #804. I disconnected the terminal block at the motor and connected the motor to a 12V source battery. The motor works. I've checked for power at the terminal end. With the ignition on and the wiper switch in any of the positions, I do not get any power to the terminal block. The fuses are fine and I have been unable to get the switch out of the dash. (what tool works to remove a very tight trim ring?) The connections to the switch are all tight. I've tried to follow Bob's wiper motor check/trouble shooting guide but am still at a loss as to why no power at the motor.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbart View Post
The fuses are fine and I have been unable to get the switch out of the dash. (what tool works to remove a very tight trim ring?) The connections to the switch are all tight. I've tried to follow Bob's wiper motor check/trouble shooting guide but am still at a loss as to why no power at the motor.
You have to make your own hand tool that goes over and around the switch itself and then the prongs on your tool fit in the little slots so you can get some good torque on the twist. The right homemade tool really makes it easy though. I whipped one up with just stuff I found in the garage. Then, just trace the circuit up to and including the little circuit board that's mounted up on the left hand side under the dash above the steering column. You can't miss it -- it looks like something that came out of a Heath kit from 40 years ago. If you're lucky, it's just a bad pin in one of the connector plugs and wiggling the wires makes it work, but anyway, that's how you do it.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:55 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

Moss Motors sells the tool (#37-2500) to tighten/remove the bezel on Lucas toggle switches.

Probably on e-bay too.

Cheers
Greg
rads42 likes this.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

If you don't want to make your own bezel tool or it's so tight you really need something machined, Google "Lucas switch bevel tool" and you'll see there are tools available to remove the bezel. Moss Motors seems to have the one you'd need.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The little tool I made also works on the ignition switch bezel which, if you ever have to change out your ignition switch, presents with the same PITA problem. Doug and the boys must have torqued it down to like 200 ft/lbs when they put it in.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Neutral     

Is there a relay in the circuit??? Most things that have high current or a motor and a switch usually switch the relay leg instead of the item itself.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Is there a relay in the circuit??? Most things that have high current or a motor and a switch usually switch the relay leg instead of the item itself.
Nope, no relay. The "parking function" of the original Lucas switch is replicated by a small circuit board. I don't think those burn out too often, but there's really not much to the circuit other than wires, connectors, the switch, the motor, and the circuit board.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     

I would place my money on one of the connector plugs. I had several problems on #821 with the pins not making contact with its mating pin on the other plug.
BD
Old 04-29-2021, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to all who replied to my post. A bezel tool was fabricated but ultimately not needed. The problem turned out to be exactly what was suggested, a loose pin connection under the dash. All is good again in upstate New York, well, except for the weather.
rads42 likes this.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:16 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbart View Post
The problem turned out to be exactly what was suggested, a loose pin connection under the dash. All is good again in upstate New York, well, except for the weather.
Dang, I was going to have you pull the steering column and dash out next to hand splice each and every connector.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Dang, I was going to have you pull the steering column and dash out next to hand splice each and every connector.
That may have been easier Patrick. I'm 6'3" and I am still feeling the pain from the contortions I had to make to see up under the dash and then reach the correct wires. Had it not been for my wife's suggestion to use her make up mirror to "look up there" I may have resorted to taking the car to my local shop. At least now that the wipers work I can rest assured I will see NO RAIN for the rest of my life.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Thanks for following up with the resolution! So many people ask questions and pick the collective brains of the community and never report back on what actually fixed the problem!