Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     
Default "Inspirations" for my ERA 289

Most of my decisions and selections have been made for my turnkey ERA 289 that hopefully will hit the road next summer. Peter P. and John have been super to work with, and I look forward to spending some time with Doug during the build. Just for fun, I decided to list some of my "inspirations" for the choices I have made. Thanks to all the photos and galleries available online, anything that caught my fancy I could clip and email to Peter and John for an assessment. Here is where we came out on the major items:

Body style and engine: Basically because I wanted a small block and the underbody sidepipes, I selected the 289 FIA body. I understand that it is easy to get to 400hp with today's technology with a small block, which is about where the 289 competition cars raced. That's enough horsepower for me. Since a small block wouldn't be authentic in a 427, I opted for the 289, although I think the 427 body shape has a slight edge. I also didn't want me or my passengers to burn their ankles on the sidepipes, so that sealed the deal for the 289 comp version. The re-bodied CSX 2009 is a particularly beautiful example of an FIA body (of course, its original body was much different):

After getting fully familiar with the tuning and cost issues, I concluded that, regardless, a Cobra needs Webers. I'm having Jim Holden's engine duplicated for my car:

Although the ERA is a copy of the FIA body, which were built in 1964, I like some of the features of the earlier competition cars, in particular the 1963 Sebring cars. For example, I like the retro look of the kidney bean wheels found on the early cars (this is CSX 2002):

PS Engineering makes a very nice aluminum version:

Like the Sebring cars, I've chosen the riveted hood and black rollbar (this CSX 2129):

I also like the dash layout of the Sebring cars (this is CSX 2129):

For the speedo and tach, I think this is a great looking combination from CSX 2009 (the "as original" Stewart-Warner speedo and the Jones mechanical tach with chrome bezel are both available today via special order):

Another retro look I like is the Bell-style sprint wheel found on some early 289s (similar wheels are readily available today). This is from CSX 2002:

For color, I like red. ERA 002 looks super to me, in what I believe is Ford Rangoon red with a white FIA nose stripe. I'll pass on the roundels, though. Yes, I know it's a 427, but I think the combination will look equally good on a 289. As you may have figured out, I'm fond of the early '60's retro look, which I think you get with this particular shade:

If you've made it this far, thanks for indulging me! As Jim Holden told me: "it's all about the journey!"

Last edited by jeffy; 10-21-2008 at 11:49 AM..
Old 10-21-2008, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Which motor Jeff??

Jeffy I think MR. HOLDEN has built every ford motor but a SOHC one. With the new parts out and maybe another GT-40 in the works a cammer will fit. If you are Talking about the Westlake motor, for a small block that is a work of art. I am sure the power rating is under what it really puts out with a set of 48 webers. With good gas and high compression we thinking in the 380-410 HP level with a nasty torque band for 2,600 rpms to about 6,200. I do like the louvers on the orginial. I added them to mine. One side note, if you are going to race the car, Ask Bob to build you a little taller hoop for the back and a hoop around your seat on the inside of the car. They did it for me and no body cuts on the body. It's just safety. I can remove the race setup and install the street one in 1/2 hour. Just a thought. I have seen crazy things happen at the track when racing. I never want to test my roll cage but nice to have some feelings of safety. Rick L. Ps I LIKE the RED.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 10-21-2008 at 03:00 AM..
Old 10-21-2008, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Congrats! It is a fun build with many twists and turns. I can't wait to get it out for the first time. We both have very similar tastes and style. I will try and get some better pic's later! Good luck! Thanks Matt.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Rick-

I'm using Jim's engine builder for the one pictured, which is a 289/331 block with the 48 IDAs. I'll give you a call to discuss in more detail. I already asked for the additional cockpit protection you mentioned; I agree it is a very good idea.

Take care,

Jeff
Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Wish List For An Era Fia

Here is a list of the things I would have added to my FIA if I were to do it again:
Optional outboard brakes on the rear.
Fuel cell tank.
Fuel shut off at the tank (operate from the drivers position).
Kirkey "vintage" race seat (driver).
Relocate the shifter to a more forward position.

If you are going with a Jones Motarola mechanical tach, I'd opt for the 4" unit, it will fit.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's mine. I'm getting closer! Matt
Attached Images

Last edited by FIA-ERA; 10-21-2008 at 09:01 AM..
Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack fia View Post
Here is a list of the things I would have added to my FIA if I were to do it again:
Optional outboard brakes on the rear.
Fuel cell tank.
Fuel shut off at the tank (operate from the drivers position).
Kirkey "vintage" race seat (driver)
Relocate the shifter to a more forward position.

If you are going with a Jones Motarola mechanical tach, I'd opt for the 4" unit, it will fit.
We think alike: have picked the outboard rear brakes, race bucket for the driver, the 4" Jones tach, and the forward mounted shifter, which, btw, forced me to select the Tremec TKO 600 (0.82 overdrive and 3.54 rear gears) over the Richmond Super Street 5-Speed with O.D., which I had preferred. I'll look into the fuel cell and shut-off you mentioned. Thanks!

Last edited by jeffy; 10-21-2008 at 09:11 AM..
Old 10-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Now you need to get that chassis #!!! Send food to Peter - it helps. Rick
Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd View Post
Now you need to get that chassis #!!! Send food to Peter - it helps. Rick
FWIW, Peter tells me that I have "a box on the wall", whatever that means, and should feel good about it!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA-ERA View Post
Here's mine. I'm getting closer! Matt
I like the red; what color/paint code is it? It looks a little more ruby red than the Rangoon, which has an orange look.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

jeffy:

Just a reminder that my current (and your proposed) Weber setup does not have a provision for a thermostat. I have ended up putting one into the upper hose and blocking off the oil cooler in an effort to try and get some heat into the motor.

Jim

PS: Danny said, after rebuilding my set of Webers, that he would never do another set... so, I hope you are buying new.
FYI: My current motor is a Dart (4.25") iron block with Dart aluminum heads. The block has four bolt mains on all of the mains and required a custom (Stef) oil pan. I believe that AVIAD now makes a pan for this application.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 10-21-2008 at 01:07 PM..
Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I got the TKO-600 with 0.82 OD with 3.54 on my ERA FIA. I'll let you know what I think about it in about a month...

My "checklist" of stuff to do before I can fire it up and drive it is now down to 31 minor 5-minute line items. Of course, given life's circumstances, this will take me about a month...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
jeffy:

Just a reminder that my current (and your proposed) Weber setup does not have a provision for a thermostat. I have ended up putting one into the upper hose and blocking off the oil cooler in an effort to try and get some heat into the motor.

Jim

PS: Danny said, after rebuilding my set of Webers, that he would never do another set... so, I hope you are buying new.
FYI: My current motor is a Dart (4.25") iron block with Dart aluminum heads. The block has four bolt mains on all of the mains and required a custom (Stef) oil pan. I believe that AVIAD now makes a pan for this application.
Hi Jim-

Yes, we are going with new Webers; parts availability has improved a lot recently, I'm told. Rick Parker mentioned the thermostat issue to me as well, and has a plan for how to tackle it during the winter. We'll see how that works out. Thanks for passing along your solution; not sure what we'll do there.

We are using a 289 production block with the Dart aluminum heads and an AVIAD pan (used, if we can find a good one).

Hope things are all well!

Jeff
Old 10-21-2008, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

lose the red and blue fittings on the webers, it would look much better. take some Easy Off oven cleaner to them and they will come out dull silver, just as they should be.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Jeff,
I couldn't decide on a good color of red! I went back and forth for months until I found my painter. He recommended "Rosso" red (Ferrari red) and said it would be stunning! It turned out perfect and really it looks like candy! It's the same color Shelby is painting the "newer" Cobra's. I really like the old school Rangoon Red but for me it was just too orange. I almost painted it Ford Rio red and that color looks great too. For me, that was one of the most stressful parts of the whole process. I'll try and get some better pic's tonight. Keep Peter in line! Matt
Old 10-21-2008, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Matt-

I couldn't pull the trigger and make the deposit until I was comfortable I had a color. It will be either Rangoon red or a ruby "Swiss Army knife" red like CSX 2009; I have a few months to decide!

Jeff

Last edited by jeffy; 11-23-2008 at 08:59 AM..
Old 10-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I went with the Ford Rio Red. I liked the Ferrari Red, but when some one asks you what the color is I would find it hard to say"it's Ferrari Red!" Check out my gallery for the color. Get the sway bars and competition brakes. Good luck with the car, Peter and the gang are a pleasure to work with.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
I went with the Ford Rio Red. I liked the Ferrari Red, but when some one asks you what the color is I would find it hard to say"it's Ferrari Red!" Check out my gallery for the color. Get the sway bars and competition brakes. Good luck with the car, Peter and the gang are a pleasure to work with.
I like Rio red: I admired it when I went through your gallery a while back. Anti-sway bars and the big brakes are already in, but thanks for taking the time to mention them. The validation is appreciated.

To all, please don't be shy: I'm interested in your thoughts and recommendations; keep them coming!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
jeffy:

Just a reminder that my current (and your proposed) Weber setup does not have a provision for a thermostat.
Hi Jim-

I just spoke to Dan on this issue, and he says that the 48 IDA's are now available with a built-in thermostat, which the original racing Webers did not have. We're good here.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2008, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Jeff:

There is a 48IDA intake for the small block Ford that does incorporate a standard thermostat (single water outlet) setup. I am not aware of any two outlet style that has a thermostat. If there is one out there I sure would like to know about it.

Jim