Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2003, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine Fitment???

Okay, my brothers and I went to drop in the SO yesterday, and we ran into some problems. I knew these motors are big but are I think something is not right. One minor problem is that the rear corner of the driver side head is digging into the insullation (down to the fiberglass) of the footbox. A major problem is that the alternator will not fit in. I don't know what the problem is, but the bottom of the alternator runs into the rear of the passenger side upper control arm. I will try and post some pictures later on, but any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ike,

Either you've got some very weird heads or the engine isn't in straight. Are you sure that the engine mounts are installed on the correct sides as described in the manual? There's also the possibility of an incorrect mount. We've run into mis-boxed units ocassionally.

Re: the alternator. The engine mount problem may have something to do with an interference. You're using the ERA alternator mount, right?

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 03-16-2003, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Bob,
Thank you for replying on a Sunday. Everything that is on the motor came from Southern Automotive, including the mounts and the alternator. This stuff was also installed already, so I am assuming everything is where it should be. He knew we were putting it in an ERA, but I am sure something could have gotten mixed up. The alternator is a Motorcraft unit, and the heads are the Edelbrock FE heads. If there is any other info you need to diagnose the problem let me know.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ike,

Did you give him the alternator mount that came with the kit?

Do the mounts look like the like the illustration in the manual and below (two bolt), or are they three-bolt?

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 03-17-2003, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, it turned out to be a number of issues. First off, in our excitement and haste, we did not install the alternator bracket. It is now installed and fits fine. Also, we got the right mounts, which moved the block about an inch farther forward, and all problems have been solved. Thank you again for your help. I am sure we will need it later down the road.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Ike,

Please ship the car to me for final sorting out. I will get it back to you in........lets say late October early November. I'll waive my fee since this is your first Cobra. When you get it back the engine will be sitting in perfectly.

Jamie
Old 03-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

D,ooh!!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doh is exactly right. I am blaming my brothers for this one.

Jamie,
I am glad to report that you are too late. The engine, and transmission (that also requires a mount ) are fitting just fine now in there new home. I am now just trying to figure out these da#& AN - NPT combinations for fittings. I am thoroughly confused, and yet I am having a blast!!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ikstaa,

I hear ya ,I just spent 2 months re working the top end of my engine ,plenty of head scratchin,and the most fun I had all winter.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Ikesta,
You couldn't be any worse a wrench than I am.
If you refer to the manual, (something I never do on anything else) you will be pleasantly surprised, every issue is dealt with.

Everything will fit perfectly. Do not skip steps, take advantage of the only company who has put out the most comprehensive manual ever to come with a Cobra.

My CSX came with 6 pages of wirng diagrams.... That's it.

TURK
Old 03-20-2003, 12:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DOH!!! Ha ha,,,,,you gotta love it. I been there, pulling those all nighters over some little thing I had missed and now turned into this HUGE issue. Finally going to bed and waking up the next morning going,,,,,,DOH!!!

Ernie
Old 03-21-2003, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We have had our snags (wrong motor mounts, wrong clutch disc etc.) but it has been amazingly simple so far. I think we are just starting to realize how useful the manual can be. One quick snag we ran into tonight was the oil filter. Bill Parham from souther automotive told us that a Motorcraft FL-1 (I believe) would fit on the remote mount. I didn't really want to use a Motorcraft filter so I cross referenced the number and got a Mobil 1 1-301 (I belive again). This filter did not fit the remote mount that ERA supplied (which is on the car), but it did fit the remote mount that Southern sent (spare). I would assume the thread is different? Does anyone know part numbers for oil filters. I did look in the manual this time and nothing is listed. Another snag we ran into is fitting the rear air cleaner under the hood. Bill Parham is sending us a 2" filter as apposed to the 2.5", but I don't think that will cut it. We thought about cutting part of the lip underneath the hood (that is the only part it is hitting, not the actual hood itself) to give us extra room, but I figured some of you guys have run into the same problem. The third and final problem we ran into was the throttle linkage and coil. It appears as though where the coil mounts the throttle linkage is supposed to pass directly through, and the manual doesn't mention anything about this either. So, once again, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Ikestaa-
Keep a list of everything you wished you'd known before you started. My car's going to the painter next week and my engine is being delivered the week after that. So, it looks like I'll be about 2 months behind you and can be the beneficiary of your mistakes

If you can, post some new pics with the engine installed.

Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-22-2003, 08:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ikestaa,

BB coil bolts to the front of the left head .........