Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2003, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Brakes

Bob,
I know it has been a while since you heard from me, but don't worry, I am still here to bother you with questions. Thanks to you, all of the electrical systems are up and running. We do have one question about the brakes, and brake light sensor. When we first drove it, we noticed it took alot of peddle pressure, and travel to get the car to slow down at all. Also, the brake lights do not come on until you are putting a substantial amount of pressure on the pedal. Could it be that some kind of mechanical leverage is off?
We also had a couple of questions about the winshield. There is a small square piece of vinyl held down with green tape. I assume this comes out, but does anything go in it's place, or does the small bracket simply get screwed down to the body?
Other than that, everything is coming along just fine. Trunk is carpeted, and we worked on interior carpets today. We are soooo close.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

Ikestaa/Bob,

Please let me know what you find - I've noticed the same regarding the brakes. I've assumed it just a matter of bedding in the brakes. I had to push so hard I thought I might bend the pedal.

Glad to see your almost on the road!
Old 08-05-2003, 04:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ike,

Some of the brake light switches we've got have required altogether too much pedal pressure... I'm testing out some different ones now.

Without power assist, the brakes require a strong leg. Since almost all cars built in the last 20 years have assist, there's some culture shock with what might have been "normal" in 1965. Or at least acceptable!

Some brake pads are harder than others, so a little experimenting with a different brand might turn up a soft pad that requires less effort. Sometimes, just some hard use to break the pad's glaze will reduce effort too.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Brakes

Quote:
Originally posted by Ikestaa

When we first drove it, we noticed it took alot of peddle pressure, and travel to get the car to slow down at all.
It takes longer to slow down from 100 than 25. Try testing again at lower speeds.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

May be the pads....some pads don't work until hot...If only running on the street make sure you have pads that work cold.....race pads are junk on the street....I drag the brakes on the warm up laps so I can stop.

Or...might be a Bob suggests...no power brakes = big leg.

M
Old 08-05-2003, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I felt the same way about my brakes... I think what Bob said about culture shock pretty much sums it up.
with 178 miles on my car (ERA 626) my brakes seem to be getting a little better. Check to make sure that the front brakes are approx 5/16" ahead of the rear about the lenght of the jamb nut.

PS Bob,
Are the brakes you guys installed in my car racing pads? or street?
Old 08-06-2003, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

How about something like the Wilwood Gators? Not sure if they make a D52 pad, but are there other high friction coefficient pads available?
Old 08-07-2003, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I get all my pads from Porterfield in Ca...they are all race pads. The people are very helpful. If you tell them what you want in a pad and how you are planning on using the car, I'm sure they can help.

I think the website is www.porterfieldbrakes.com , if not do a search or look in any vintage race magazine.

M
Old 08-07-2003, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks M, their web site is actually:

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com

They also have carry Hawk HP Plus pads which I have been looking at in addition to Gators. Thanks for the link!

Regards,
Jim

Last edited by NeedAntiVenom; 08-07-2003 at 11:53 AM..
Old 08-07-2003, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think they handle Hawk.... Depending on what I'm doing and what car I'm doing with with they have recommend various brands and compounds...never been wrong yet..

They can also make custom pads for any type of caliper....Prices about the same as elsewhere...

MF
Old 08-07-2003, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Folks:

You guys are all spoiled! The brakes are NOT POWER ASSIST!
Start working out (or bulking up) so that you can put yer foot down when you need to.

J
Old 08-07-2003, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

morty...

Speaking of putting your foot down...what kind of speed do you make when pushing the car out of the trailer... I guess it kinda depends on wheather PEPI is helping.....any how, I'm sure you have the "ice cold - I'm almost not moving" pads...

PS...what ever Bob charges for the mounts...you can have mine for... I think I got the "last" set ($$$$$).

MF
Old 08-07-2003, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Murt:

You got to this faster than I did... I was gona post a postscript that went: "Course ya don't need too much brake com'n off the trailer..."

M

PS: And there is always the hidden mini-mafia "surcharge" for anything that I purchase from or though Peter. I might be better off just deal'n straight up with you.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 08-07-2003 at 06:33 PM..
Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim H,

Spoiled?!? You've got me all wrong - I can cope with the pedal pressure - it just suprised me. The one with the shrimp shim will need them though. I just make do on the rare occasions I get to drive. Need I remind you that Peter actually had to order her out of the car?

The call to Potterfield should be fun, "I need pads so my wife can drive my car..."

How's that GT coming along? You know, it's a good thing stainless doesn't rust.

Great to hear from you again.

Regards,
Jim
Old 08-07-2003, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA / nascar side oiler
Not Ranked     

I ordered my car with the brakes installed by ERA (stage two roller) .
They work better than my 02 Tahoe .
Can you compare how it was your set against another ERA, ballance bar ,
spline on shaft ? When set up , this car will stop great !
Old 08-07-2003, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim:

I am advised by PEPI that they will start my GT tub "any day now... any day...." (Truth be told, this past weekend Peter and I went to vist the "shop" that makes up the stainless CNC'd panels for the GT with a 4 story tall Krupt nitrogen cutting machine. Pretty impressive!)

J

PS: Another of ERA's "four time" customers has a GT going together as we er "speak" with power brakes.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

I don't have enough time on it to tell yet - just going by the initial drive. I'll post an update after they are fully bedded in.

Jim,

I hope PEPI didn't charge you for the tour. BTW, Lynn has an itch for her own now- a Cord or SS100 replica.

Regards,
Jim
Old 08-08-2003, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim:

...as I recall, I ended up paying for supper... as usual.

J
Old 08-09-2003, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Sorry to hear that. You must have a visa bill the size of a phone book.

Jim
Old 08-10-2003, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of town for the past week. Thanks for the info. I figured it may just be that they were either not warmed up / bedded in, but not positive. Only time will tell. I have driven other cars without power assist, and none required as much pedal pressure. Of course, none of them were this radical. Also, the fact that we (I ) opted for the 4 piston calipers up front doesn't help cold braking ability.

As far as the switch goes, I don't mean to be pushy, but I strongly believe something must be done. I can't imagine the lights coming on during street use with the current switch, and that makes us a little uneasy. Are there any sensors we could find locally and swap on to help you test? Thanks again for all of the help guys.