Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2003, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     
Question FIA photo on ERA Website

Bob/Anyone:

Can you tell me the owner of the FIA shown on your website that gives an example of a "street" version of the car with the Top up and the AR Torq-thrust wheels? The color of the car is like a metalic pewter grey and it's right below the FIA race version at the top of the FIA page. I would like to email him/her with a few questions. Is the owner a regular on CC?? I've attempted to attach the photo below.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2003, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I had lots of little Cobras until Oscar the house thief stole all of them
Not Ranked     

TTT

Old 11-20-2003, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Ford&Full:

As you must appreciate, unless an owner is here on the website and wishes to respond, he or she might not appreciate getting unsolicited inquiries from strangers... The only thing I can suggest is to fax a note with your contact info on to Peter at 860-827-1055. He'll pass it along to the owner, if he knows who the owner is. Then it's up to the owner to contact you.

As to quoting colors, that too, I'm sure you will understand, is rather problematic also. Owners don't always tell ERA what color their car is, nor, even if they do, are they accurate about the code/brand, etc. The last thing ERA needs is to misquote a color code etc., have someone rely on that information, given gratuitously, and then not have the car come out the way the individual thinks it should look.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 11-20-2003 at 11:59 AM..
Old 11-20-2003, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

That is a real nice color! If you get in contact with the person & they are happy to give the info please post it
Old 11-20-2003, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim and Hyde, thanks for your replies to this post. Currently I'm very much in the fund raising stage of my project, so I'm kind of like one of those little plastic wind-up toys that keeps doing the back flips with regard to deciding the look I would like to procure with my current FIA aspirations. At the time I issued this post, the picture above turned me on to the "street" look, now I'm bent toward "comp". My goal for placing my order is Carlisle 2005, so I still have some time to enjoy my indecision.....

Cheers, Mates!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Full:

My ERAFIA was done with the comp car look:

(click on): http://www.erareplicas.com/cars/holden2.htm

It has features taken from both the USRRC and FIA cars.

Jim
Old 11-20-2003, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deciding on look & color are very dificult.
Do you go with those standard few color combos ????
Or do you venture into unchartered territory????

Personally I wanted a little of both so I'm going with a different color scheme & a standard comp fia look to try to get the best of both worlds.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very nice, Jim. I didn't realize that was your car at Carlisle. I missed the past two years being here in the UK on work assignment. But I believe I've seen pictures of your FIA before, maybe in the customer car gallery?? Anyway, how do you get on with the little perspex windscreen? Do you use it for Track or Street? I didn't think that would be street legal. I'm getting used to the white centers on the Halibrands too....nice.

Hyde - Took a look at your gallery and turned a little green. I'll be keeping tabs on your progress. The all-black knock-on kidney beans are a nice change of pace too. I'll be interested to see what the 17's look like when you take some 3/4 shots of the car sitting on the ground. What plans do you have to motivate the bugger??
Old 11-20-2003, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Hi Al:
I think that the silver FIA you are inquiring about is a Connecticut car. I met the owner at the recent, (Early September 2003) Rolex Lyme Rock Race Track classic sportscar weekend. There were a huge number of Cobras there and about 5 ERAs. In fact, he was parked right near to Bob in CT's car or close to it. The owner uses this car as a Daily Driver! I may have his name and email in a small notbook that I had at the show.

The reason I think it is that same car is the wheels, color and also the undercar exhaust. The wheels are not typical. I think I took some pictures of the car and will post them here for you to view, they are on my home computer. The car was indeed an ERA turnkey car so ERA must know the paint color used. It was a light titanium silver in the sunlight. The picture posted has it looking a wee bit darker than I remember (looks like a cloudy day picture?)

Cheers

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 11-21-2003 at 03:34 AM..
Old 11-20-2003, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can't wait to get her out in the sun for some pics too!!! The 17's weren't my first choice but I was stubborn & stuck on the Kidneys! I have an idea in my head of what I want & I'm going to get it I'm leaning toward the ford racing 345hp 302 with a toploader! I plan to post pics periodically so check back & let us know where you are also!
Old 11-20-2003, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

Fullchat289

You can also look under the Specification section of ERA's web page for Customer Car Photo's which has quite a display of cars made by ERA.

I like this section because my car is shown here also. I agree, the pewter grey 289 FIA is a fantastic color. I will probably use this color also on my next car (don't tell my wife I just said that).

jim
Old 11-20-2003, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Full:

The racing windshield is held on by a doz. or so allen head screws. The plates that cover the windshield holes have a "t" that goes down and is held on by a bolt into the frame where the windshield would normally attach. It's a simple matter to remove the bolt, pop off the covers and put the windshield in (well relatively)

But it's great fun to cruise around with the little windshield... at least for the driver.

Jim

PS: While Peter may know what color a "turn key" is, all of the "turn keys" are custom built for the purchaser. Frequently, the purchaser will deal direct with the painter on such items as color choice etc.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 11-20-2003 at 02:32 PM..
Old 11-21-2003, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Here is my picture (now very very small to meet the 40KB upload limit.

As you can see, in the sun it is a wee bit lighter. This guy drove in with the top up. He stowed it in the boot.
Attached Images

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 11-21-2003, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim: I like the "convertible" windscreen idea. Since you mentioned the wee screen and street in the same sentence, I'm going to assume it's "legal". : ) Don't suppose you would take the car in for it's annual inspection that way, though. Pretty tricky!

Art: Thanks for posting the photo. I would be interested in seeing more photos of the car if you would care to email them. If you have cable or whatever, don't worry about filesize - I'm on broadband. (wonder if this guy has a clue there's so much talk about his car??)

Hyde: Rock on, dude.

Later,
Old 11-21-2003, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Full:

I'm not certain that anyone should blithely assume that anything (particularly on this site) is "legal"; legality being not an absolute, but comprised of various shades of grey.

J
Old 11-21-2003, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Holden
legality being not an absolute, but comprised of various shades of grey.

J [/b]
or Pewter for that matter
Old 07-18-2005, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA. 427 COMP, 427/SO, 601 HP, 543 ftlb, ext oil pump, accusump, rebat batteries, 377 rear, Top Loader, Solid Roller
Not Ranked     

Jim

You're right about cruising with the windscreen is OK for the driver. I've had mine on since the May 2005 Carlisle show, and neither state or local officers have given me any hassle.

During the 2005 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, I gave spectators a hot lap around Beaverun. Went down the back straight at over 100 mph, and none of them complained about the breeze.

Jack ERA-576
Old 08-03-2005, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack:

"...and none of them complained about the breeze. "

As though anyone could be heard screaming at 100+ over the nasty song of Brut driven by its owner overcome with the "red haze". (or is it daze? I can never remember.)

Jim
Old 08-03-2005, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

The wheels are available from either American Racing or PS Engineering (3 wks wait at the former, months at the latter). In any size, offset or backspace necessary to fit the ERA FIA I have a set of both the Torq Thrust (spoked like the early 60s) and Kidney Bean -both sets are 17". Mine are bolt-on, but I imagine PS Engineering could build whatever style you want (allow lead time).

Now, if I can only find a set of wire wheels........