Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

It says "Until Further Notice" which to me implies he may return at some point in the future, and hopefully so.

To Bob & "The Top" at ERA:
One of the nicest features (value-adds) in regards to considering and owning an ERA was your availability for technical support on this forum. We hope you return here at some point. Thanks for providing an alternate way of contacting you though...

Last edited by decooney; 11-01-2003 at 07:26 PM..
Old 11-01-2003, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob,

One of the highlights of my day was checking the ERA forum here on Club Cobra to mine all of the great nuggets you placed there. Thanks for all of the great info.

I look forwrd to hearing from you in the private sector.

America. Home of the free, because of the brave.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Bob,

Don't have a clue what is going on but in case you are serious I want to thank you for the help you have offered up over the last couple of years. Your post were always straight forward and backed up with drawings or photos of the subject. Any information I got from you was always solid and useful. Thank you and please drop in and monitor us from time to time.

Who's going to step up and fill your shoes?

Best of luck whatever your situation.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 11-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up strictlypersonl

What we have here is the continuation series Bob.

Just as good as the original! Thanks Bob for being there and offering us your words of wisdom!

Ernie
Old 11-02-2003, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Dear Bob,

One of the highlights of my day was checking the ERA forum here on Club Cobra to mine all of the great nuggets you placed there. Thank you very much for all of the great info.

Many Greetings from Switzerland

Walter

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 11-02-2003, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Folks:

Bob's not going far and knowing Bob he won't be able to resist checking the site out at 5:00 am in the morning or whenever he wanders in. ERA is putting on a push to get a number of cars (both 427SC and GTs) out the door and, also, to try and get some "upgrades" done; new front uprights for the 427SC/FIA, steel tube seat frames, etc., etc.

The command from on high has been more of a "all hands on deck" sort of thing and is nothing against this site nor the folks that wander through it. Even Peter P. has to put some time in each week putting floors (or something) in to the cars.

(The foregoing information was extorted from several unnamed sources on a visit to ERA yesterday to check on the status of my GT chassis...)

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 11-02-2003 at 06:13 AM..
Old 11-02-2003, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

JIM,

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO. IT HAD A LOT OF US WORRIED - A LITTLE.

THEN YOU MENTIONED THAT THEY'RE PUTTING PETER TO WORK - NOW WE'RE REALLY WORRIED. JUST DON'T LET HIM PLAY WITH ANY SHARP TOOLS.

THANKS AGAIN. IT'S A REAL RELIEF TO KNOW THAT BOB'S REDUCED PARTICIPATION IS CAUSED BY BUSINESS BEING SO GOOD.

THERE'S SOMETHING DARN RIGHT "MAGICAL" ABOUT THAT PLACE. I'D HATE TO SEE ANY OF IT CHANGE.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 11-02-2003, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Bob - closest I ever got to an ERA was riding in 535 (oh, and driving the Turkmobile). They were both fine cars, even if you guys fitted the steering wheels on the wrong side for my liking. Based in the UK, I was never going to become an ERA customer, but boy, did I learn a lot from your technical insights here. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

This is really too bad.

I've seen more than one person make their decision to purchase an ERA based upon the customer support and the answers to questions that Bob posts here on a daily basis.

And even if it didn't factor into the decision, the support provided by Bob sure made you feel it was the right choice.

I know there won't be an answer to this here, however, I wonder if this has something to do with concern around too many "trade secrets" being shared in an open forum. After all, the Cobra business is pretty competitive.

If that's the case, maybe we could get some member only controls.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Bob is not gone, he has changed his logon and is now speaking on behalf of himself, and in no way speaking for his: current, former or future employers. I can relate to that situation.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds like he will be back soon.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not wishing to be overly concerned if there is nothing going on, (I do have rather hefty deposit at present with ERA..) but I think an official explanation by an ERA spokesperson is not an ureasonable expectation. Yes, I know Peter doesn't do the internet...

Are their bigger issues or heaven forbid, problems, underlying this rather sudden change? Clearly the engineering and support from BP was a decision to select ERA in my case.

Does Bob still work for ERA? If so, has his capacity changed?
Who will take over his role?

I understand people and situations change, and fair 'nough. I just want to have a clear understanding of how it could impact me.

I just get a bit nervous when it seems like there is more to the story than is being let out at present.

Comments appreciated, BL

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 11-03-2003, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Luke etal:

Not to worry, Bob still works for ERA... only harder. Direct questions to him will be answered as always. I've found that the best way is always to call and talk to the guys that put the cars together: Doug, Ritchie, Ted, etc.

Jim
Old 11-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

You mean Bob is not the top dog at ERA!?!?!? Could of fooled me here

I under stand their wanting to get the product done. But they if they are only going to answer ERA questions by email, it may take longer than it does here. Here if you have an issue, you can search for a solution. Email you will read the same questions over and over again and type the same messages over and over again. Mention that to ERA.

Glad to see you will still be around Bob. Lots of good information, help, etc from you over the years.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 11-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Traveller
This is really too bad.
I've seen more than one person make their decision to purchase an ERA based upon the customer support and the answers to questions that Bob posts here on a daily basis.
Same here - this is very odd behavior, from a business point of view - especially the mad face at the end of the original post - that's with that? I'll say this, if ERA stock (if they have stock) were openly traded, there would be a lot of sellers on this news and, more importantly, the way it was presented. I would not want to have an ERA ordered at this time.

I'm new to ERA ownership and this is not a pleasant experience - not that anyone owes me a pleasant experience - let's just say - what a bummer!
Old 11-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     

If this means that I will take order of my Cobra a few months faster, all the better! Sorry guys but the wait is getting pretty bad and I have another 7-12 months to go I know that Bob certainly has put in his share of time at this site! Maybe Peter busted him looking at those naked canoe sites and we have to pay for it.

Catch ya later
Ed
Old 11-03-2003, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

GUYS, PLEASE - - - - - - -

JIM HOLDEN HAS EXPLAINED THE SITUATION AT LEAST TWICE SO FAR.

IF JIM'S NOT CONCERNED - - I'M NOT CONCERNED - - ACTUALY HE KNOWS WERE ALL OF THE BODIES ARE BURIED UP THERE. (HE OUGHT TO - -HE HELPED BURY MOST OF THEM). HE SPENDS AS MUCH TIME IN THE ERA SHOP AS MOST OF THE ERA EMPLOYEES DO.

JIM'S POSTS MAKE PERFECTLY GOOD SENSE TO ME. LETS JUST HANG ON HERE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 11-03-2003, 03:03 PM
30 Year Wait is Over
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1630 '70 429 SCJ / 501
Not Ranked     

I hope Bob is not gone for good. He is definately one of the most knowledgeable contributors to CC. When he speaks, everyone should listen.

Q: What makes a good racer?
A: Size 14 shoe, size 2 hat.

Buddy Baker, NASCAR Hero
Old 11-03-2003, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Settle down guys!

The decision to remove our official company presence has nothing to do with my employment or the company's condition. It was done for liability and other minor reasons, including an effort decrease my load. (I am way, way, way overworked. ) Personally, I think that it will have the opposite effect.

Just what I need...
Old 11-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Bob:
Thanks for the update. Hopefully it will reduce the amount of speculation going on. Best of luck,
DonC