Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
I talked to John at ERA and this is the photo of their three hard lines. They are available for sale. The two upper lines appear to have a configuration I can work with. I am having difficulty understanding how the lower line configuration would route. Looks extremely long with many bends?
That has to be the clutch line that feeds from the reservoirs on the fender well down and over to the master cylinder that is mounted on the frame rail on the inside of the tunnel. But that is a very challenging geometric problem to visualize it from that pic. If it were me, I'd just buy it on faith.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Yeah, it looks a little wonky but the brake masters reside on the outside of the frame rail and the clutch master is on the inside of the frame rail so it has to jog over and further back than the brake lines. I have some undercar photos that might help you with orientation but I'm afraid they may be equaling confusing. I'm like Patrick - go on faith. If a line needs a bit a tweaking an inexpensive tubing bender can do it.

Kevins2 has a better shot of the engine bay routing than I do.
cobra and ACHiPo like this.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Dan,
Do you spit-polish the bottom of your car? Looks clean enough to eat off!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Thanks Dan, Those photos are very helpful. John at ERA has all three for a very fair price. If the tubes need some tweaking that is fine. I am running a hydraulic throw-out-bearing and the clutch master is not a Tilton brand. The hard line terminates into the body without an AN fitting. A bit funky. May have to replace with new Tilton. Just replaced both brake masters with Tiltons.
What reservoir did you use?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Well I did have to give it a thorough wipe down after I finally got done with all the body work and painting.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
What reservoir did you use?
I'm using the same 3 Girling cans that Kevins2 and Patrickt are using - mounted on the left fender panel.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again to all.

Last edited by csx4017; 03-02-2018 at 09:49 AM..
Old 03-02-2018, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Actually, I'm using the BMW reservoir. Peter at ERA talked me out of the Girling cans (very strongly told me I'd be sorry). Although it does bother me a bit that it is the only component in my engine bay that doesn't look period correct, it has been trouble free.

Kevin

Last edited by kevins2; 03-02-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Old 03-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Kevin, you gotta fix that. Buy three of the Moss Motor Girling cans and you will be much happier. I know that BMW reservoir has to bug you each time you open the hood.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Actually, I'm using the BMW reservoir. Peter at ERA talked me out of the Girling cans (very strongly told me I'd be sorry). Although it does bother me a bit that it is the only component in my engine bay that doesn't look period correct, it has been trouble free.

Kevin
OK - my mistake. Do all 3 lines hook up to the one reservoir? I was assuming from the 3 lines that you had the individual reservoirs.

Actually, I should not have the Girling cans in my car since they were apparently not used (as original) in street cars. I failed to understand that at the time. But they aren't causing any problems so I'm going to leave them.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just got off the phone with ERA and ordered the hard lines. Peter says they have never shipped this unusual package before. This will be a test case for delivery to SoCal. They could arrive with some unique UPS configurations !!
Nice folks at ERA.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Kevin, you gotta fix that. Buy three of the Moss Motor Girling cans and you will be much happier. I know that BMW reservoir has to bug you each time you open the hood.
Yeah, maybe when I retire and have nothing to do...
Old 03-02-2018, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
OK - my mistake. Do all 3 lines hook up to the one reservoir?
Hi Dan,

Yes, the clutch line comes into the side about half way down - the two brake lines come into the bottom, one on each side of the divider in the reservoir. So, if you had a leak in the brake system that drained the fluid, you would still have either the front or rear brakes since the lines are separate and there are actually two reservoirs in the reservoir housing. If you had a leak in the clutch system that drained the fluid, you'd lose the clutch but still have front and rear brakes since the clutch line is half way down the reservoir.

I've read Patrick's thread on how to make the cans stop spitting and maybe I'll tackle that someday. Although the BMW reservoir is very functional, it does look out of place. Maybe I could fabricate a can-like cover for it that would at least look like something from the 60's

Kevin
Old 03-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post

I've read Patrick's thread on how to make the cans stop spitting and maybe I'll tackle that someday. Although the BMW reservoir is very functional, it does look out of place. Maybe I could fabricate a can-like cover for it that would at least look like something from the 60's

Kevin
I'll send you a swath of Sham-Wow, gratis. But all you would need to do is Google "metal cone top cans," like this one, then cut the bottom out of it, paint it black, glue a Girling decal on the front, then just slip it over the BMW reservoir. That would fool 99% of the Cobra world and would look great.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Concerning Kevin's pic. I seem to have the same reservoir only located at the front of the foot box with the lines going thru the foot box vs. his configuration. Must have been a change as the cars got newer. I have received all the new lines from Tilton, I have not replaced my weeping lines yet. I will attach a few pics of my setup
Attached Images

ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 03-08-2018, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

New hard lines have shipped from ERA. New Tilton clutch master coming from Summit to replace the BMW unit. Thanks for your inputs.