Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Routing of Brake Reservior Lines in 427 ERA (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/48768-routing-brake-reservior-lines-427-era.html)

Cobra 29 01-03-2004 01:47 PM

Routing of Brake Reservior Lines in 427 ERA

I am replacing both master cylinders, the reservior, all three reservior lines (including the clutch) and the brake box on ERA454. Everything is going well except how to route the rtwo brake reservior lines without interfering with the pedals. I am sure that the existing hardware is not ERA standard so I need help. I recently purchased all parts (ready to bolt in) from Doug.

Do the rubber lines leaving the master cylinders run above the master cylinder bracket and floor? Or only the rear master cylinder line?

Do I position the lines between the gas pedal and brake pedal on the front wall of the foot box?

Doug mentioned that I would not need to cut the lines (31" long) but it seems that I have more too much length if I run the rubber lines from the front edge of the 4X4 cutout straight up to the 3-in-1 reservior.

What is the best way to make the connection to the reservior? Push the lines through the top of the foot box and then connect and then push excess back down into the foot box? Or make connection with a worm screw clamp inside the foot box?

Help! Dave B

strictlypersonl 01-03-2004 03:54 PM

Dave,

There's a reason the lines are so long.
(Sorry 'bout the picture - only one I could find "in stock".) The lines loop around where th clutch pedal would contact the floor.
http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/brakes/feedline.jpg

Cobra 29 01-03-2004 05:20 PM

Thanks for the quick picture. That will get me going first thing in the morning. I guess these lines take a sharp 90 degree turn when passing through the floor opening.

Any thoughts on making the reservior base connections? Adding the clamps from inside the foor box or outside and push the lines and clamps down onto the top of the footbox? The reservior connections to these lines will be right in the holes in the footbox top.

Any more pictures would be great. I am not sure I have the routing correct under the car. Please remember, I am converting to the ERA standard. The car was built by HRE and no longer has the three separate reserviors on the firewall over the bellhousing (leaks!).

Thanks for your help, need a little more....

strictlypersonl 01-05-2004 07:06 AM

Better picture. :3DSMILE:

The lines have a small spring clamp where they connect with the reservoir.

http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/brakes/feedlines.jpg

davids2toys 02-16-2018 07:47 PM

I just developed a leak in the Rear master supply rubber hose. It seems to be seeping right thru the hose over a couple of days. I want to replace them both. I know they need to be brake fluid compatible. Summit carries this type of hose. Does anybody know the id/od of these rubber hoses?
Thanks...Dave

strictlypersonl 02-19-2018 05:09 AM

[I removed the link after trying it...redirects to the vigilink purchasing thingy as described by ACHiPo and others]

tboneheller 02-19-2018 06:44 AM

Got mine here: [I removed the link after trying it...redirects to the vigilink purchasing thingy as described by ACHiPo and others]

davids2toys 02-19-2018 06:47 PM

I found the Tilton 74-221(8ft length with 6 clamps). The 74-274 is only 2' long unfortunately it they are a grey color and I want black. i will call Tilton tomorrow to verify it is really grey or not?
That orange line from Pegasus looks pretty interesting!
Thanks

patrickt 02-20-2018 08:18 AM

I'm surprised that your hard brake lines don't come down the frame and in to the corner of the brake box like mine. Then you only have a little bit of hose to hop over to the Tiltons. The hard lines head over to the Girling reservoirs on the driver's side fender. That seems a lot easier.%/

66gtk 02-20-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davids2toys (Post 1438911)
I found the Tilton 74-221(8ft length with 6 clamps). The 74-274 is only 2' long unfortunately it they are a grey color and I want black.
Thanks

Do you mean the 74-214 that Bob shared? Not "274"?
Either way, I don't think you will notice/see it under any normal circumstances unless it is a light grey, which I doubt.

patrickt 02-20-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66gtk (Post 1438938)
Either way, I don't think you will notice/see it under any normal circumstances unless it is a light grey, which I doubt.

72-502, 74-214, 74-221 -- it's all the same stuff, just different lengths. And they all say "grey" in the description, but it looks black to me -- I don't think I've ever seen truly grey brake hose. Here's the Tilton page on it: Brake & Hose Kit - Tilton Engineering

davids2toys 02-20-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66gtk (Post 1438938)

My bad, fat fingered it. The one bob shared is only 2 ft long and believe it or not, it is LIGHT grey. I called Tilton today to verify this. They said the older hose was seeping and the manufacturer wanted no confusion to the older hose. The manufacturer is either Gates or GoodYear.
Ordered this today/ https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-74-221.
Wish the color was not grey though. The only piece you can see is the small piece for the clutch line, I am thinking of putting black shrink tube over the grey line!

davids2toys 02-20-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1438933)
I'm surprised that your hard brake lines don't come down the frame and in to the corner of the brake box like mine. Then you only have a little bit of hose to hop over to the Tiltons. The hard lines head over to the Girling reservoirs on the driver's side fender. That seems a lot easier.%/

http://38.134.118.239/brakelines001.jpg

Agreed, but your car is much new with this design. Make a lot more sense to me too

davids2toys 02-20-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1438940)
72-502, 74-214, 74-221 -- it's all the same stuff, just different lengths. And they all say "grey" in the description, but it looks black to me -- I don't think I've ever seen truly grey brake hose. Here's the Tilton page on it: Brake & Hose Kit - Tilton Engineering

Agree with you on the pic, that is why I called. They assured me it was light grey!
From their vtech staff:
Hi David,

"The hose we have been supplying the last 3 or so years has been grey. It is the only color we currently have available. Below is a picture of it.

I will have our website updated with the correct photo.

Regards,

Kirk"

DanEC 02-21-2018 05:41 AM

You could always wipe it down with PrepSol and spray it with black vinyl paint. Or even try coating it with black shoe polish. Of course if you have any brake fluid leaks it will probably damage it.

ACHiPo 02-21-2018 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tboneheller (Post 1438866)

As an aside, both this link and Bob's redirect to an advertising site. Looks like there's an infection of some sort. I flagged the post so the admins can investigate.

Edit: A little more investigation found the issue was on my side. No idea how, but somehow any link I clicked on was redirected to "Viglink". I was able to opt out. Sorry for any confusion.

DanEC 02-21-2018 07:56 AM

I had that problem a couple days ago too on this thread. I gave up and haven't tried again.

patrickt 02-21-2018 08:39 AM

Naaah, it's that nuisance "vigilink" plugin that the site uses.

csx4017 02-26-2018 08:26 AM

I recently purchased ERA#520 and found a brake master cylinder weeping fluid past the rod end seal. I replaced both master cylinders while I was under the car. The hoses where showing fluid seeping through them. I have just received a Tilton brake hose kit from Summit and a 3 container Tilton reservoir. I believe Patrick's hard line to hose is a preferred design. I want the hoses out of the cockpit and will start a reroute approach when all the parts arrive. I bought the reservoir with barb type hose attachments. Will run new hoses out the cylinder box, along the frame and up to the new reservoir mounted on the inner wheel well panel. Not as nice as Patrick's but will be an OK interim for now.The clutch slave cylinder is going to also require new lines ( hard to hose ? ). The BMW reservoir will go into the trash. The removal of the present hoses and reservoir is a messy job ( fluid will be difficult to contain ) and will cost me some loss of carpet. Brake fluid will destroy carpet adhesive. Happy to be an ERA owner and an ex CSX4000 guy. Sold it.
The CSX had all hard lines from the master cylinders. Requires a different master cylinder configuration and mounting.

vntgspd 02-26-2018 09:50 AM

Keep in mind that the current routing of the lines INSIDE the foot box insulates them from the exhaust heat. If you route them outside (which you must do at some point if going to the inner fender reservoirs) be mindful to shield or insulate the brake lines from the header temps. There's no point boiling the brake fluid in the lines sitting at a stoplight. ;)