Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     
Default 427S/C Street Dash Tach-Speedometer

While finalizing what I'm going to give Peter for the final build I started to wonder about the placement of the tach and speedometer on the 427 street dash.
My manual shows the tach on the left and the speedometer on the right.
Having looked a a number of photos of the dash board I was wondering how visible the tach is when on the left and if the steering wheel obscures it under normal driving conditions.
If the tach is obscured has anyone swapped the position of the tach and speedo and, if so, how much trouble it was.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have the street dash on my ERA, tach on the left. The Comp cars had a different layout all together.

No problem reading my tach, easily visible.

Same place on my Excalibur? Tach was worthless, couldn't see a darn thing on it. So I guess it depends on the car, ERA is OK.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie:
Thanks for the info. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I only have to make minimal changes, if any, after it's finished.
DonC
Old 05-28-2004, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quite frankly, I don't think you're going to be looking down.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

Here is a picture of my old RAM cobra with the street layout. Right hand drive but you get the idea. I couldn't see either the tach or speedo without moving my head to look. Not a good idea when you are at speed. I now have the S/C version layout and like it a lot better.
Are you going to be running sidepipe or underslung exhausts.
The main differences in the Street and S/C are the exhausts, hood scoop and dash layout (Visible differences)
Hope this helps

Mark
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark:
Thanks for the photo. The layout, while it appears similar, is quite different than the ERA S/C. Fun to see a R/H in the states though.
Ike:
You're probably right. I doubt if I'll have a lot of time to be looking down what with talking on my cell phone, reading the paper, tying my tie, eating a sandwich and slowing down to look at the car parked on the side of the road. There's just so much to do while you're driving these days.
I've actually seen all of the above while driving, and some multiples of actions and it sometimes makes me just want to park for a while until the madness ends.
DonC
Old 05-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Don-
Why aren't you going with the S/C gauge layout? I like it a lot better than the street gauge layout and the reverse speedo is really cool

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 05-29-2004, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

I took these pictures, holding the camera at my eyeball level. They show just what most people would see from the driver's seat. Unless you have long legs with a short torso, the view angle is close.

Old 05-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob:
Thank you for the pictures. They show what I was concerned about. Admittedly a small thing but a concern nevertheless.
Back to my original question for you, how much of a problem is it to switch the position of the speedo and tach during the build. You will be doing a turn-key for me when the body gets back from Walt Wosko next week.
Chaplin:
The street S/C dash is simply more to my liking for the street than the competition layout. Less head and eye movement to see the tach and speedo which, since I won't be racing the car, will be my primary instruments. If I were going to race the car the speedometer would be about the last instrument I'd concern myself with. The street, however, is a different can of worms.
DonC
Old 05-29-2004, 07:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Bob-
Two questions.

1. Are those original Reeboks featured in those pics?

2. Why isn't the speedo in the S/C layout a reverse speedo?

Don-
I understand your thoughts with the s/c layout and street driving (since that's all I do too) and worried about that too, but what I have noticed is that I drive more with the tach than the speedo anyway and it is actually easier to drive with the tach prominiently displayed. Plus, did I mention I like the reverse speedo But that's what's fun about these cars, you can build 'em the way you like them.

How long 'til it comes back from Walt? What color did you decide on?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

Last edited by Chaplin; 05-29-2004 at 07:04 AM..
Old 05-29-2004, 08:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chaplin:
I too tend to drive primarily off the tach which is what precipitated my question in the first place. I would prefer to have the tach as the most visible of the two.
The car should be going back to ERA from Walt's on Tuesday. Talking to Dianne at Connecticut Custom she said that, while they do a lot of reds the Ford Red Fire Pearl Metallic that I chose looked realy good. Same comment from Walt III who paints all of the Cobras.
Art Gumbus (Red SC400) was kind enough to stop by and take some photos of the car last week and we're in the process of trying to get them downloaded to me. As soon as I get them I'll post them in my gallery. Art mentioned that the GM Metallic Gold for the stripes made a good combination.
I'm starting to think that the light at the end of the tunnel may not be a train afterall and it may be finished late July or August.
Will be ordering the TKO600 (looking like a 3.07 rear with 17: wheels) within the first couple of days of next week since they finally appear to be dribbling in.
Joe Lapine of Danbury Competition hung the engine (428 FE) last week and says it ran well on the dyno. No numbers yet but they too should be available next week. Engine should be going to ERA next week as well.
Still teetering on the edge that something is going to tank and the whole thing will come crashing down around my ears, but that's just me, nothing but positives in the experiece so far expcept the wait but that goes for everyone. I had patience once but it was taking so long I decided to do without it and have been looking for someone to mail via Yesterday air ever since. As soon as I find them they get all my business.
I do tend to ramble, sorry about that.
DonC
Old 05-31-2004, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by DonC

Bob:
Thank you for the pictures. They show what I was concerned about. Admittedly a small thing but a concern nevertheless.
Back to my original question for you, how much of a problem is it to switch the position of the speedo and tach during the build. You will be doing a turn-key for me when the body gets back from Walt Wosko next week....

DonC
The speedo and the tach can be switched pretty easily. I might have to make a modification the dash wiring harness, but that's no big deal. We'll have to check whether a stock speedo cable will work. It may have to be re-routed a bit.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob:
Thanks again for the pics and for the info. I should be talking to Peter some time this week and I'll make sure it gets on my todo list.
DonC
Old 05-31-2004, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob's pictures confirm what I see on my dash. The most important feature being:

The 5000 to 7000 rpm area of the tach. Nicely visible and a quick glance confirms my rpm. Works fine for me!

Bob, I'm sending you an e-mail concerning a recent purchase from ERA I'm VERY happy with!!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Reverse wind speedo

I have the reverse wind speedo for my car and the street type dashboard.
Reading some of the posts here, does the SC only have the reverse wind speedo?

I have seen original street RHD cars in the UK and in magazines with the reverse wind speedo, that would indicate that they came out in different models, as I cant imagine people changing to them.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Don,

I have the street dash on my ERA and I've never had a problem seeing the tach. Besides, as soon as the tires break loose you're at red line in a flash and the rev limiter starts to kick in anyway. Just remember to shift when it starts to sputter. Ha.

Chris
Old 11-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A.J.:
Depends on which speedo you want to go with. I've got Autometer clocks with a reverse speedo but they are available with the clockwise movement as well. Ditto most of the other larger instrument producers, you can get them either way.
DonC
Old 11-16-2004, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DonC,
I have the same layout as Bob's photo except I rotated the tach face so that "7" is straight up. Also added a thin tape line [red] at 7.
It's my shift point and have no trouble sighting it.
ERA's are great.