Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-28-2005, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 427 S/C Radiator Hoses

Hi Gang:
One of my projects for this winter is to replace my functioning but old (12+ years) radiator hoses on #375. This is a FE 428 with the metal tube.

I have found a slight discrepancy in the ERA manual regarding the FE hoses.

On page 22 the bill of materials lists GATES hoses 21236, 20620 and 21047.

However in the diagram on page 34 the 21236 hose is labeled as "21256"??

So my question is... is this 21236 or 21256?

Thanks for your time...

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 01-28-2005, 06:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Art:
Check with Bob Putnam. He's usually got the most up to date info.
DonC
Old 01-28-2005, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

Thanks Don:
I searched the online GATES catalog and I am now pretty sure the part is 21256 (see picture below) and not 21236. I betcha Bob possible "dumb fingered" it in the bill of materals section of the ERA Assembly Manual. Or my manual is out of date. He probably drank some bad tea that day (har Har me matey)

Hey.. how is your Red and Gold doing? I am layed up for the winter now. Are you on the road or are you likewise confined with cabin fever? We have really cold weather here with snow and muck on the ground. Car is up on Jackstands in the barn. I get the heater going in the barn on weekends and then work underneath in a typical obessive compulsive disorder manner... hee hee.

My gas tank is now polished like a mirror. I am probably going to grease all the fittings this weekend on the Ujoints and the ball joints and suspension.

Cheers Amigo...

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 01-28-2005, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Picture of Gates 21256. This matches up with the picture in Bob's Assembly manual....
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2005, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is the Gates 21236 picture. It does not look like the hose in the ERA manual at all... so I suspect it is not the right one...??
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art:
You’re right, it was probably Bob’s fault, isn’t everything. You’d think the guy could get this stuff right, I mean, after all, he doesn’t have anything else to do does he?
3000+ miles on it since I got it in mid September. Had it delivered to me while I was in Denver visiting my niece and drove it back to Portland from there. 1200+ miles in 3 days. A really great trip.
The rest of the miles have been pretty much local but not much lately since our weather shut down in late October which is more or less normal. Have used the top, side curtains and heater to extend the driving season into the cooler weather and can operate in temps below 40 quite comfortably. Try not to take it out in the rain though cause it takes a lot of time go clean it up afterwards.
Got a break last week which only happens about once every 20 years or so and that was two days of 60 degree weather with no rain in the middle of January. The gods must have been smiling on me since it coincided with Dwayne Gregory’s car coming up from Las Vegas to Port Orford. Got 600+ miles in a day and a half almost all without needing the top. Outstanding trip given the weather and the situation.
Picked up a Serpent Express trailer for long range trips. Got three scheduled this year. March to Phoenix to visit a very old friend, June back to DVSF V and September down to Monterey and Carmel for a week. May just take the car in September depending on how much the wife thinks she can take. She’d like to make the trip from San Francisco to Portland up the coast on Highway 1 and 101. Probably make a couple of moderately long runs this summer and see how she likes being strapped the monster for more than an hour or so.
The car is running great and I couldn’t be more pleased. Everything I expected it to be and more.
DonC
Old 01-28-2005, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

DonC's right. Nothing is ever my fault. Someone must have told me the wrong number.

The correct number is 21256. At least I corrected it in the manual a couple of months ago.

What other company issues revised manuals (on the web) about once a month...
Old 01-29-2005, 06:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob:
You guys do O.K. for a bunch of beginners I don't care what those other people say.
Your continued efforts to improve both the product and your after sales support is what makes you one of the best in the business and why you have such a loyal customer base.
DonC
Old 01-29-2005, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don,
You are correct... we have to keep the "Bob-ster" around. I probably have to download a new copy of THE MANUAL.

Thanks for the clarification Bob and your continued efforts!

the Gates 21256 appears to be an oddball hose with low inventory demand. They are hard to source and must be for an old / "classic" car. I had to put one on order. The other two hoses are more normal and are in stock for the most part.