Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2005, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #164 427 Med Rise Side-Oiler, 4 Speed Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Replica Number?

Just a curious question. I recently inherited ERA #164 from my father who passed away at the end of last year. He built it in 1989 and although I was only 6 years old then, I disticintly remember having never seen a Cobra replica on the roads in Colorado before he built his (not to say they didn't exist, just that they weren't very prevalent). Now things are very different and I see them on a semi-regular basis. I'm trying to get a feel for where along the production line his replica came out, so:

Are ERA replica numbers assigned sequentially? If so, are they assigned sequentially within each vehicle make or across the board (is there an ERA #164 427, 289, and GT)?

Was ERA #001 the first replica sold to the public or was it a prototype (what was the number of the first ERA sold to the public)?

What is the next car out the door going to be numbered (essentially how many has ERA produced...no need to be exact, ballpark is fine)?

And finally has ERA made any major changes in design since 1989? If so, why were they made?

Like I said, no particular reason beyond curiosity for questions, but I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Last edited by CriticalMass; 02-05-2005 at 03:35 AM..
Old 02-05-2005, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

critical mass Sorry about your dad. You have a one of a kind car. You have the ONLY ERA 164 car in the world. Would like to welcome you to the CC club and the ERA family. You have one of the best replica cars built. Take good care of her and you will get many years of play and enjoyment out of her. Spring is just around the corner and the nice motoring days are coming. If you have any problems or questions about your car, go to manufactors and ERA has a help genius to give you answers. Put a couple of pictures up when you get time. I am sure there is a local club in your area. Good luck with the car Rick Lake
Old 02-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     
Default Don't know the answers to your questions, but....

I have ERA 291. Built in approx. 1991. I believe they followed sequentially. They have a 289 model, but I don't know what else they make. I've called to Connecticut to order a couple of things, and maybe you could call ERA and talk to Peter Portent (don't think that's his last name, but it's close). Let him know your model #, and that you now have ownership. It's one of the better manufacturers out there. I bought mine last March, and if you want to know, Private Message me and I'll tell you about my car, and what I paid for it. Mine is pretty orginal looking; has an orginal 427 sideoiler, and all of those things add up to a good quality car. Sorry about your dad, and good luck finding your information.
Kristen
ps. there is somebody on this forum with a low number ERA, also. hmm. I'll think about who it is.... There are a lot of people here with tons of knowledge about this. They will jump on and give you lots of answers!!
Old 02-05-2005, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

C-M,

Strictly speaking, our first chassis was EXP001, but it was just 001 as far as my database knows. It was built as a kit for someone who probably knew more about the original cars than we did. It looked like this.

The major changes to the car are listed here. , although we seem to make minor ones on a monthly basis. Still, your car isn't that much different from what we do now.

Most of your other questions are answered on our FAQ pages.

E-mail me with your vital stats an I'll send you a link for the latest and greatest assembly/service manual.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Hi:
Yes the ERA are assigned a sequential chasis and body number. Although your Dad finished it in 1989 it probably was born at the factory earlier than that. A call to ERA would get you that data. They keep a file on every car and they would probably like to know you are the new owner. Sorry to hear about your Dads passing. I lost my Dad a few years back. Always a hole in your heart afterwards...

I do think that 001 was the first ERA. I believe it was sold as ERA does not have it. They can confirm this.

The next numbers are in the high 600's. Take a look at the ERA forum here.

Major Changes? Well there are 3 different build manuals. The key differences between your car and the current car are that your front suspension is crafted from square stock and the current model is round tubing. The X brace today has a universal transmission plate whereas yours was crafted specifically for the engine & Trannie your dad specified. The wiring harness is different now. The steering rack is different. The radiator is different as is the radiator holder. The seats are tubular whereas yours are fibreglass frames.

I am sure there are more changes but these are subtle. ERA seems to constantly evolve the car in little ways to make the build better and easier.

You have a great car built by the replica firm that has been in constant business the longest amount of time. Sounds like your Dad put it togeather... what more can you want!

Enjoy her and change your fluids regularly.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 02-05-2005, 06:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

I've never seen that picture of ERA 001 before. Hard to believe it was an experimental first car. Looks really good right out of the gate. Body lines and gaps look pretty good, shape looks good. Wow - not too bad for a first try. Obviously a lot of time, research, and planning prior to building the first one. Neat! Something to be said about ERAs.

Last edited by decooney; 02-05-2005 at 06:22 AM..
Old 02-05-2005, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Critical,
The gent who appears here as Strictlypersonl is Bob Putnam who engineered vitrually all the chassis designs [as well as wiring harnessses and God knows what else] made by ERA. He can help you with anything you need to know for your car and definitely inform him about the change of ownership. I've been dealing with ERA for 22 years, they are first class.
The 427 and GT 40 cars are numbered with three digit numbers starting with 001. 427's are now near or just past # 700 and GT's are near or past #050.
289 FIA's are numbered as 2000 series cars and may be over #2100.
Bob can answer all.
Another great info source is Jim Holden,
long-time customer and owner of 4 or 5 [or more?] ERA's over the years. He joins in here every so often.
Best of luck and have fun with it.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

#2097 was delivered a few weeks ago, so they should be over 2100 by now.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #164 427 Med Rise Side-Oiler, 4 Speed Toploader
Not Ranked     

Wow, I didn't expect such a strong response. Thanks to everybody for their input.

Great community you guys have here. My dad was never a computer guy, but if he was he would have loved a place like this. Also amazing to see somebody involved in ERA here to help out the community.

I'll work on getting some pictures up in the spring. I've currently got it up on jack stands in the garage for the winter which doesn't make for good photography

I'll let ERA know about the change of ownership once we get things sorted out. The car is currently in my mom's name because he didn't have a will and to avoid legal hassles the kids just signed his entire estate over to her. We will deal with properly titling things later.

Anyway, thanks again.

Last edited by CriticalMass; 02-05-2005 at 02:32 PM..
Old 02-05-2005, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Critial If your cobra is away for the winter, I am guessing that it is a solid lifter motor, Back off on the 4 rocker shaft bolts. This does 2 things, keeps all the valve springs the same rate and that none of the valves are open to let the cylinders rust. It's easy, takes 20 minutes. In the spring time just retork the bolts or nuts. DON"T play with the adjusters on the rocker arms. Put some rags in the side pipes to keep critters out of the pipes. In the spring retork the bolts, check the valve lash and road test Rick Lake
Old 02-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Critical,

Each model has it own numbering.

427's are up to around 690 maybe into the 700's now.

289's models had a 4 digit code

GT's have their own sequencing.

By the time they built your particular car they had become very good at their craft. I have seen car #3 in person and it was fantastic after 20+ years. Your I am sure is that much better.

Enjoy!

Last edited by JWheaton; 02-06-2005 at 07:47 AM..
Old 02-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

#154 here and blown away at how good the car is all around. I'm re-doing my 427 for lower compression, different cam, etc.

Say, what kind of wheels you got? Lug bolts or original style?

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-04-2007 at 12:08 AM..
Old 02-05-2005, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     
Default Era 626

Welcome!! I took Delivery of ERA 626 in November of 2002.
Attached Images

Last edited by ERA 626; 03-05-2006 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: attach photo
Old 02-06-2005, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #696, Ford 427/482 CO
Not Ranked     

ERA #696 was shipped to Sweden in September last year.

The first inspection which is a build inspection was done two weeks ago.

Hans-Olof
Old 02-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

ERA 427 #684 was delivered in Sep. of last year.
Wlcome to the madness.
DonC
Old 02-06-2005, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra 20 427 ERA GT 2075 SVT Cobra 2003 Shelby GT 500 2007
Not Ranked     
Default era number

My current ERA 437 is 20 and was fininsh in 1981. 427 should be around 700. ERA GT series is 2000. The lowest number customer was 2002 and was finish by ERA in 1992 (it is out of order) my current GT is 2075. 2002 is red and 2075 is gulf colors. Both were turnkey.

Current cars have a tubular chassis, and lot, details. I also owned a latter 427 33X and the changes against my old 427 were great.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I purchased ERA 427 EXP#002 in January 2005 and the paperwork that I got with it shows that it was ordered by Bruce Bissonnette in January 1980 and delivered as a factory built car in December 1981. I believe that the car has changed little over the years and she still runs strong and handles great. I intend to try to locate each of her previous owners and come up with a history of the car over the last 25 years. I refer to the car in the female gender as my wife calls the car my mistress.

I am proud to be the owner of the second 427 that ERA produced.

Dick

Last edited by lamaluv; 03-05-2006 at 07:10 AM..
Old 02-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

Wow! I love seeing these old ERA's popping up! How fun.
I thought mine was old.... just a '91
Just shows you what a good quality car they are!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Talking Old ERA's

Pete C may be coming to the WSCB and that would mean ERA #002 and #004 would both be in Reno.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With mine being 154 I'm feeling young again!

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-04-2007 at 12:09 AM..