Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2005, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     
Default Headlight, Parking and Dash Gauge Light Problem

Hi Bob:
On the return leg of a long trip, three electrical circuts seemed to have stopped working simultaneously...

They Are: the Headlights (hi and low beam), the parking lights both front and rear and also the dashboard gauge lights (inside the gauges SW).

Everything else worked fine, the blinkers, the break lamps, the wipers the fans and the ignition.

When I got back into the barn (car hot), and after I checked all my wiring diagrams and trouble shooting guides, I pulled out the trusty flashlight and mirror and looked under/behind the dash for a potential problem... I checked the ignition switch connections and pulled the switch out to double check and then put it all back in.

No avail... all three circuts still out.

Went back into the house for dinner and when I came out I checked everything again, car now cool, and low and behold all the circuts work that were not working 2 hours earlier!!!

I am now both happy and pissed as I really do not know what fixed this and where and why??

So Bob, did you come down to Stratford and fix this while I was having dinner.... OR... do you have a suggestion for me to do a trouble shoot procedure?

I would like to put this to bed but it is all working now...

Perhaps you have a clue and can guide me as to what could cause the high and low and parking and dash lights to ka-put themselves....

All ears.... (car # 375)

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 07-03-2005 at 03:44 AM..
Old 07-03-2005, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Ex,

All of those circuits go through the head/parklight switch. Check that the brown wire on the switch is live. Its origin shares the power input terminal on the ignition switch so I suspect that it's OK.

If the wire is live, the head/park switch has probably seen better days.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

Ok then, I will come on up this week and get me a new one from you....

Do all of these circuts... the healights, parking and dimmer rehostat for the gauges also go thru the "headlight relay"?

I can see how the bad switch could be the culprit Bob. Since the switch does double duty AND the dimmer rehostat does not work unless the lights are ON.

Thanks Amigo. Have a happy Holiday. Catch ya on Tuesday??

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 07-03-2005, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by REDSC400

Do all of these circuts... the healights, parking and dimmer rehostat for the gauges also go thru the "headlight relay"?
No. The relay is there only to switch between the high and low beams.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob:

The new switch worked PER-FECTO-MUNDO!

That fixed the problem...

You may want to add that to the trouble shooting guide....

Thanks So Much for your help and assistance.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In retrospect, I think these symptoms were a result of a bad ground up front in the "X" member of the suspension. FWIW.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

90% of of all electrical "problems" on these cars are ground related. It is really impossible to overstate the importance of grounding the engine to the frame in multiple locations especially on glass bodied cars.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 02-21-2006, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In this case however, in order for Art to lose everything, he would have had to lose 3 separate grounds simultaneously. Two of which are inside the car, and the third outside the water splash range.