Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

By no means was my pocket book unlimited either. I have pieced my car together over 3 years & wouldn't have changed my choice. I scraped & did all the work I could myself. KNowing I wouldn't be happy with a stripped down car I put in many orders to ERA & tried to get the big things out of the way on the first shipment of my "kit". As posted before, take your time! The fact that I didn't have the funds three years previous to my purchase led me into untold hours of research(dreaming). When it came down to it I chose to Go with ERA even they were out of my budget at the time because I knew I wouldn't be happy 5 yrs down the road if I hadn't. I think my car is great & I am still very happy about my choice & don't see that changing any time soon.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX
Oh, by the way. you want to buy a kit and promply sell the body and buy another? Nobody's gonna buy a FFR body, unless you give it away. And if your really motivated, you can still mount the ERA body yourself...and the jag rears are around, as I'm doing my own with a nice used XJS posi unit. I'm just gonna change the seals and rebuild the calipers and go.
Do yourself a favor and visit ERA before you spend any cash...you won't be sorry.
Already have a buyer for the body. But I do appreciate all the viewpoints.

Scott
Old 04-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When it comes to comparing FFR price to ERA price it's no contest. FFR will win everytime, you won't need a spread sheet to figure it out.

When it comes to comparing re-sale, quality, reputation, etc. it's no contest, ERA will win everytime. The two cars in question represent the extreme ends (high and low) of the market range. It's almost absurd to even seriously compare them!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
When it comes to comparing FFR price to ERA price it's no contest. FFR will win everytime, you won't need a spread sheet to figure it out.

When it comes to comparing re-sale, quality, reputation, etc. it's no contest, ERA will win everytime. The two cars in question represent the extreme ends (high and low) of the market range. It's almost absurd to even seriously compare them!
I'm not comparing them, I'm not saying FFR is better than ERA. I am getting what I can afford.

Just because someone can afford a Corvette, doesn't mean they can afford a Ferrari.

Scott
Old 04-12-2006, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: ERA FIA #2114 with 331
Not Ranked     
Default Hey Doug how much is the shipping costing you?

I have an ERA FIA kit on order and expect delivery sometime early this summer after CT Custom Car paints the body. I'm in Kalifornia too..
Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's a good call Scott. FFR no doubt sells far more kits than anybody else out there, so they gotta be doing something right! It's a good product at a good price. For a do it yourself and pay as you go kind of guy it's a wise choice.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

65FIA289,

If you want to get a a good looking FIA there is one currently listed for a very reasonable 32k in the for sale forum.

You could sell your current engine and top loader and be in your total budget without the headache or heartache of being one of the first to try the body swap with the FFR.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:04 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Scott,

My personal opinion, if you can only afford an FFR, then go that route, wait for McBruce to finish his FIA body (should be available for purchase mid summer, or so I have been told). However, as a past (and future) owner of several FFR's, I can tell you that the fit of the body, the mechanicals used, and the chassis cannot be compared in an apples to apples, side by side comparison as they are two completely different concepts. Each has to be weighed on it's own merits, the least of which should be the $$$ spent initially. Why do I say that, quite simple, as 80% (that's right, 80%) of the owners of all FFR's built have far more than 20K into their builds. Unless your planning on a straight donor build (and can find a quality low mileage donor for less than $2,500), you are more likely to have 30K+ into your build. Take a look at the thread on ffcobra marked "finally totalled things up" and it will open your eyes.....Again I'm not saying to buy one over the other, just giving you another neutral viewpoint from someone who has been there countless times.

Hope you find this helpful.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-13-2006, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for all the viewpoints.

Scott
Old 04-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Scott-
One other thing to consider- there is a wait time from order to delivery with the ERA and you do not have to pay for it in full when you place your order- you only have to put down a $5k deposit when you place your order. The wait time from order to delivery will allow you to save the extra $$ that it will take to buy the ERA.
For instance, when I placed my order I didn't have enought $$ either to buy it outright, but the wait for my ERA was apx. 12 months-(I'm not sure what the current wait is for FIAs, check with Peter). During that 12 months I was able to save the extra $$ necessary to buy the ERA, which is what I really wanted. If you have some patience and the discipline to save some extra $$ each month you will be extremely pleased that you went with ERA.

The other option, as someone else mentioned, is Unique. IMO their FIA body is excellent and a very close second to ERA's and last time I checked Unique's "Deluxe Pallet Kit" was around $19k, but I am not sure what their current pricing is. If you're not going to go with an ERA, you should give Unique serious consideration before purchasing anything anthing else.

Good luck.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

Last edited by Chaplin; 04-13-2006 at 09:00 AM..
Old 04-13-2006, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

My first ERA was the most difficult to finance and I managed it just as Chaplin has described by "leveraging" my way in by making installments over a period of time. I had ERA do the absolute minimum. (They painted the chassis but I bonded on the body, not a big deal. I purchased additional parts from ERA in a "just in time" fashion as I built the car. I scrounged my own XJ rear; found in a farmer's field for $75.00 etc. etc.) In the end, I have made money on all my ERAs and as a result have moved up to progressively more expensive cars.

There are certainly other companies out there that have been in business for a long time and have good reputations, but there isn't any one that offers a product so compelling to me that I would make a change.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 04-13-2006 at 07:11 AM..
Old 04-13-2006, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, everyone, I am looking to see how to make all this work. I will call ERA next week since my out-of-country trip has been delayed for a few weeks and will be off work.

Scott
Old 04-13-2006, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Still a little confused about that subframe. Is that only needed if you are using a Jag rear suspension? Or is it needed for the Jag and ERA suspension?

Thanks

Scott
Old 04-13-2006, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #696, Ford 427/482 CO
Not Ranked     

If you check the rear suspensions on ERA's option list you can see that both have a subframe. But, they are quite different.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

YOu will need some type of subframe no matter how you decide to go. There is a mounting spot on either side of the frame at the centerpoint above where the rear axles should be. You could theoretically build your own subframe but for the price you know ERA will do it right...
Old 04-13-2006, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 425 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Scott,

I thought I would chime in and cover a couple of items not covered in other post, that in my opinion led me to narrow my manufacturer choice down to Unique and ERA. In the end I purchased a Unique FIA, not based on money or a quality difference as I see both as being equal in quality, and they seem to use the same parts (Jag rear ends accessories etc.) The Unique swayed me because of their geographic location and their annual Homecoming (Again geographic because this is an event I can reasonably attend). If I lived in the northeast, or west coast I might have purchased the ERA.
You have mentioned cost as a factor in your decision, I can tell you that just about all glass bodied cars will cost you within $2500 of eachother when they are finished out with like items, it doesn't matter if it is a Jag or a T- Bird IRS.
You have to remember that when you see the ERA rear end at the price Peter gives you he is including brakes and a refurbished unit, which has all new parts, only the castings are original, a good deal in my opinion. Since you asked in a earlier post, the cage is only used on the Jag rear end because the ERA unit has the cage built into the design.
You mentioned the kit price of the FFR as $12,900, but that is a very basic kit. To compare you need to add up all of the options that you will need to make both cars comparable rollers. When I was doing my research my order price from FFR would have been closer to 19K. This doesn't count all the money most FFR builders spend at finishline or with Whitbys on upgraded carpet, seats and other items.
Antoher very importnant thing to consider is paint. FFR does not source paint for you. Ask anyone who has built a carand they will tell you that dealing with the painter is almost always the most difficult part of the build. The FFR group does have some trusted painters, but you will most likely have to ship the body to them which will cost more money. Both Unique and ERA have painters that they deal with on a regular basis that they trust will take care of you. I have seen several of the ERA sourced paint jobs that cost $4500 and they look fantastic. ERA will help you work with a painter and have the car painted before you take delivery, this is a big headache that you will not have to deal with. You can ask Peter, but I am almost certain that most customers take advantage of this.
I know you are thinking about putting Bruce's body on a FFR and I did see your post on the FFR forum about this subject. Make sure you go see the body on a car, not just pictures before you make your decision. Because of the different suspensions that are used on these cars and gas tank locations, different brands will sit drastically different. At a club event I can always pick out a Unique or ERA because they will sit about a foot (not kidding) lower than almost all other cars when looking at the top of the rear quarters. This is very important to consider when looking at an FIA because the car is visably narrower than the 427. An FIA that sits higher in the rear will not be very attractive. Both ERA and Unique put a lot of work into their cars to make things just right.
If you look at the FFR forum you will find that most non-donor builds will range in cost from 35K-60K, and these are very nice cars. FFR catches a lot of heat for being a cheap kit, but this is really a dis-service. Some of the best looking cars that I have seen have been FFRs. But talk to the owners of those cars and you will find that they have just as much money in their cars as any other kit including ERA. When it comes down to it the costs are really in the accessories, not the frame or body. And sooner or later everyone ends up with really close to the same stuff. The peer pressure to spend money is hard to resist.
Another thing to consider is that Unique and ERA are differnt from FFR in the way they do business. If you stop and think about it FFR is a mass supplier of kits where as Unique or ERA are really cottage custome builders. You can call the owners at any time to get help with the build and/or they will build the car to any spec you want. For instance, you said you wanted the street package, Peter will sell you as little or as much of the street package that you want at a time. If you just want the carpet or the seats he will do that.
Probably the last thing to consider is resale. Eventually, you will sale your car and that does count as part of the cost of ownership. Do your own research, but I will think that you may find that the total cost of ownership on an ERA is cheaper than a FFR, you might even (gulp) make some money over time
Just my opinion, but you may want to consider going with the a painted ERA basic kit, without suspension for now. Peter will send you a set of dollies with the car (a small deposit may be required) and most cars spend the entire build process on jack stands anyway. You could focus on putting the motor in doing all the plumbing, interior wiring etc while saving for the suspension. Once you buy the suspension, you can easily have all that installed and the car on the road in a very short time period.
One of the nicest things about dealing with the Weavers at Unique or Peter at ERA is that you will not hear them knock a competitor. In fact Unique told me that if I chose not to buy their car to purchase an ERA, and Peter told me that if I did not purchase an ERA to look at a Unique. I did not feel pressured by either builder to send a deposit in today and both were very friendly.
As for me I hope to have my Unique on the road in a couple of weeks. The car has been a true joy to build and everything has so far gone together without a hickup.
Good luck with the search for the right car for you, the hunt was one of my favorite parts of this journey.

Justin
Old 04-13-2006, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongue Pirate
YOu will need some type of subframe no matter how you decide to go. There is a mounting spot on either side of the frame at the centerpoint above where the rear axles should be. You could theoretically build your own subframe but for the price you know ERA will do it right...
I would not build my own subframe. $300 for the subframe, in the big scheme of things, is cheap.

You guys are starting to wear on me. I will be calling ERA next week.

sm

Last edited by 65FIA289; 04-13-2006 at 11:24 AM..
Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

ERA FIA,

ERA has the nicest FIA in glass available. However, I have heard of Premier offering an early 289 type car with the FIA rear and slabside front. I have not seen the car from all angles but what I saw was great. Truely a unique look that few have. They also have the tube frame.

ERA FIA cars are full of character and show. Make sure to give Peter some time since he is very busy. He is a great guy and ERA top notch!

Last word of advice: Visit ERA in person, everyone there is up to speed on all aspects of a build and they also know other cars limitations.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2006, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, you guys have made to much sense, it is stupid to spend this kind of money on this type of car and not get the best. I will be using ERA for my kit.

Scott
Old 04-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

A Wise decicion!