Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ERA questions

I am trying to decide between the ERA FIA 289 and another companies offering.

I have some questions that I could not find on the huge website.

1. I have never dealt with Jag. components before. Does the IRS subframe come with the standard kit? There are some xj6 cars in the local wrecking yard here. It is my understanding if the standard kit comes with the subframe, the jag unit is a bolt-on? I understand the unit may have to be rebuilt.

2. What coilover units can be used besides the ones offered by ERA?

3. Does the "Street Package" cost extra or is that just a customer choice?

4. Does the Street package include the grill or is that an option?

5. Is the "body bonding" part of the package for the standard assembly and included in the standard assembly price?

I am buying a kit in the next couple of months. I am sure I will have more questions soon.

Thanks

Scott
Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

I would suggest to you that the best place to get your questions answered would be to call ERA. Peter at ERA is quite helpful.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 04-12-2006, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSC400
I would suggest to you that the best place to get your questions answered would be to call ERA. Peter at ERA is quite helpful.
I can't call ERA right now, I am out of the country until the end of next week. The phone call would cost $500.00

But thanks for the response.

Scott
Old 04-12-2006, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65FIA289

1. I have never dealt with Jag. components before. Does the IRS subframe come with the standard kit? There are some xj6 cars in the local wrecking yard here. It is my understanding if the standard kit comes with the subframe, the jag unit is a bolt-on? I understand the unit may have to be rebuilt.

5. Is the "body bonding" part of the package for the standard assembly and included in the standard assembly price?

I am buying a kit in the next couple of months. I am sure I will have more questions soon.

Thanks

Scott
First of all I would like to say that you will have a tough time finding a car that will meet the ERA standards of quality & accuracy. Before I built my ERA I spent a lot of time reading & re-reading over the website & the pre-ordered manual. There are some options that take a little reading to & serching to figure out but I think I can help you out here.

1. I don't belive the subframe comes with the car. It should come either seperate or you can buy it from ERA with or without a rebuilt or un rebuilt jag unit. I chose to go with the optional rear also decided that they had the expertise to do it correctly.

2. YOu can use other coilover units, someone will likely pipe up here with their experience on this, you will need to match the specs of the Spax units.

3-4. Street "interior" pkg will likely cost you the listed interior pkg price & the price of which ever items you decide to add on from there.

5. the body bonding is an option as listed on the site. Having been under my car a hundred times or so for different types of work & inadvertantly viewing everything above & below I would recomend letting them do it & have them powdercoat the frame while they are at it.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me an email & I will answer them the best I can &/or look at my gallery for pics of bodywork & other misc pieces. If you do decide on ERA or are seriously considering them, order the assembly manual. It will give you a better understanding of what is required of you.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Thanks

Scott

Yes, the subframe comes with the kit. Edit- I just checked ERA's website, it looks like the rear subframe costs $300 which includes labor to shorten your control arms and half-shafts, w/handbrake adapter

Not sure, probably a number of different ones would work. Bob Putnam could tell you, but why would you want to use something different-ERA has their product down to a science, they know what works and what works well.

Customer choice. There might be a slight difference in pricing for undercar exhaust v. sidepipes, but Peter (or maybe Bob) would be the best person to ask.

Not sure, check with Peter.

No, bonding the body is extra, but money well spent- let them do it. Edit- Per ERA's website cost is $700.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

Last edited by Chaplin; 04-12-2006 at 01:49 PM..
Old 04-12-2006, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the ERA price list page

http://www.erareplicas.com/fia/options.htm

It's like a New Jersey diner - any way you want it...

Street style exhaust - $1200

Chaplin - the FIA body bonding is showing as $800, not $700.

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 04-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry, I was looking at the 427 option list.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 04-12-2006, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your buying a new 427? Or just still adding on like me...?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the help, guys. It's nice not to have to answer every question.

You can use any coil-over that meets the specs in the manual. You can download a stripped down manual with the information here.

The Jag subframe is an option because of the other rear suspension offered doesn't use the same one.

The street version usually includes carpetting, different seats, different upholstered dash with glovebox, and door panels. It may add more than $1500 to the basic kit.

If you put your own rear suspension together from a recycling yard core, I would certainly recommend rebuilding most of the components. They've been around for a long time. The differentials are pretty sturdy, but many of the XJs lack an LSD but it can be added later.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all your answers guys. With all the extras you have to buy to actually make this a kit is a bit more than I wanted to spend for a basic or standard kit. Guess I will go with the other one.

Thanks again

Scott
Old 04-12-2006, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

The easiest way to know, is have Peter give you a quote.

Jim

PS: After 5 ERA's I would observe that as with most things in life you get what you pay for. Half of what you pay for from ERA is their support.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would really compare apples to apples. There are other nice kits out there but things will add up no matter which direction you choose to go. For this price range you really can't go wrong with ERA.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongue Pirate
Your buying a new 427? Or just still adding on like me...?
Shhhh . . .

Scott-
You really should call Peter and get a complete quote for what you want and then compare it to what ever other manufacturer you are considering. You will find that when all is said and done, the price difference will not be all that much relative to what you are already spending. And ERA will not disappoint from any perspective- quality and look of the car, people, support, etc. Jim is right, you do get what you pay for . . . .

Old 04-12-2006, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
...actually make this a kit is a bit more than I wanted to spend for a basic or standard kit. Guess I will go with the other one.

Thanks again

Scott
You may want to consider resale value in your equation...cheaper isn't necessarily less expensive........

Old 04-12-2006, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

When I was making my decision, I took pictures of an ERA 289 FIA and a Unique 289FIA, and compared the two body shapes. I absolutely fell in love with the lines of the ERA 289 FIA.

Not sure who you are comparing, but I recommend taking pictures from several angles. I shot down the side from the front, rear, dead on on the front, dead on on the rear, and a couple of profiles, with interior and engine compartment shots.

I also put together an Excel file that included ERA's pricing for different options and such, and used this to analyze my cost over my build time, as I will construct my car in phases. PM me if you'd like to use the Excel file for your research. You should probably check the pricing against ERA's published pricing. The fiile can help you define what you actually want quoted. And yeah, then give Peter a call and ask for a quote.

Mine should ship soon. I'm waiting to hear from Intercity Lines.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 04-12-2006, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I appreciate all the responses and the passion you guys have for the ERA kit. I have $18000 to purchase a kit. The rest of the money it would take to build it would come over whatever amount of time it takes to build. I appreciate the quality of the ERA kit. I want my kit under the following specs.

1. 65 FIA 289 body(street version), meaning street interior, undercar exhaust, etc.

By the time I order the basic kit, and then option it with the specs I want ie: street version, sub-frame which I guess it needs, the body bonding which most people have said I need, etc. etc. I have way overblown my initial kit purchase budget.

THis in not a knock against ERA, It is just out of my budget, plain and simple.

The other company I am looking at is FFR. I can buy their MKIII kit, sell the body, and buy the body that is being developed(65FIA289), purchase the options in the FFR catalog such as new rear end, a-arms, etc. and still come under my budget for initial kit purchase.

Maybe if ERA offered a kit where the customer built more of the car it could be sold cheaper, but they don't, so that is where I am at.

Thanks
Scott
Old 04-12-2006, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
.... I have $18000 to purchase a kit.... The rest of the money it would take to build it would come....over whatever amount...it takes to build..... By the time I order the basic kit...., .

The other company I am looking at is FFR. I can buy their MKIII kit, sell the body.... buy the body...being developed(65FIA289),.... purchase the options in the FFR catalog ...... and still come under my budget....

Thanks
Scott
Um, Scott - may I suggest you aren't quite there yet with your budget. You also need to do a lot more research, imho. Use the search function on this site - play with different search words.

And...about that FIA body style you are simply going to swap out....well, let's just say it's been "being developed" for a loooong time.....you may also want to research the market for "one owner never used" FFR bodies....if you want to consider an alternate to ERA's FIA car, at the very least look at Unique as a reasonable alternative that is fully sorted.

Seriously, you are exactly where I was about 2 years before I pulled the trigger and bought my car....eager, and all the desire in the world, and sensing the goal is close, but, realistically not enough $$$ to proceed...you may want to consider waiting a bit....about $10000 bits +-.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke-44
Um, Scott - may I suggest you aren't quite there yet with your budget. You also need to do a lot more research, imho. Use the search function on this site - play with different search words.

And...about that FIA body style you are simply going to swap out....well, let's just say it's been "being developed" for a loooong time.....you may also want to research the market for "one owner never used" FFR bodies....if you want to consider an alternate to ERA's FIA car, at the very least look at Unique as a reasonable alternative that is fully sorted.

Seriously, you are exactly where I was about 2 years before I pulled the trigger and bought my car....eager, and all the desire in the world, and sensing the goal is close, but, realistically not enough $$$ to proceed...you may want to consider waiting a bit....about $10000 bits +-.

Good luck.

Well, I already have a buyer for the body. I would be interested to know why $18000 is not enought to proceed?

The FFR kit is $12900. I have it on very good authority the body will be ready for release very soon. I already have a toploader and a 289. I am also purchasing(planning I should say) in the FFR parts catalog, the new rear end, a frames, new complete disc brake kit from a Cobra Mustang which includes the front spindles, axles for the rear end. Also in the catalog is the new steering rack. Also purchasing the 3 link suspension. All of this adds up to $18004.00. I already said the rest will come over time as I am building the car. I have never said $18000 would be my budget for the entire car. I will bet most of the people who start building these cars did not start out with $30-40,000 in cash ready to spend.

Scott

Last edited by 65FIA289; 04-13-2006 at 11:26 AM..
Old 04-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

For a few more $$ you will be in the ballpark for your ERA FIA..Peter P. will work with you all the way. If you want the best, you will not be happy with the FFR. Just be a little patient and get what you really want...you already have the 289 and a toploader.
Check out my gallery and see how my deal is going...I didn't have an unlimited checkbook, but I have what I want. It's just taking a little longer to get there.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Oh, by the way. you want to buy a kit and promply sell the body and buy another? Nobody's gonna buy a FFR body, unless you give it away. And if your really motivated, you can still mount the ERA body yourself...and the jag rears are around, as I'm doing my own with a nice used XJS posi unit. I'm just gonna change the seals and rebuild the calipers and go.
Do yourself a favor and visit ERA before you spend any cash...you won't be sorry.