Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-22-2008, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 351
Not Ranked     
Smile Brake ID

Hi:
Trying to identify my front brakes and a clunking sound. I bought my ERA 10 years ago. Could not wait to build one or have one built to I bought one ready made. And that has been 10 years of fun.
It also means I do not know everything about the car.
It developed a clunking sound, when I brake. I went over the suspension, engine mounts, etc., but all seems fine. Instead the sound is coming from the brake pads that move and out in the caliper (when I rotate the wheel with car on jack stands). The sideways movement to the rotor is OK, but they are also able to move in the other direction -- in and out, up against a cotter pin, which makes a fairly loud clunking sound.
The calipers are Sierra (I assume from Sierra racing and not GMC?). But I have not been able to find a model number. In the ERA manual, at least the one I have, reference is made to GM calipers.
Did something fall off (a spacer or spring to keep them in) or is this a sign of wear?
Also, how do I open them up? The two big bolts on the inside?
I do not know much about this, but would like to. Some day when I am not working as much as now, the "plan" is to build my own car. Always good to have a plan for the future. Meanwhile, I have the brakes to figure out.
Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default High temp anti Brake squeak in the red tube

Omathisen Get 2 things to fix the noises. Red a red squeeze bottle of high temp brake squeak stopper. It's a silicone glue that you add to the back of the brake pad. The best way to do this is get a screw driver with a large flat blade, Push the pad back away from the rotor. This is com press the caliper cups back into the caliper. Remove the pad. Wire wheel the back of the pad to remove any rust. Put a thin layer of the silicone on both areas where the cups hit the backing plate. Reinstall the pad. Try not to have any of the sealant come off the plate when installing. Do the same with the inner brake pad with cleaning the plate and a thin coat of sealer. Do the same for the other side. After both side are done apply the brakes to seat the caliper cups. Let sit over night and go for a road test this should stop the brake noises. Putting a THIN coat of high temp silicone grease on the pins that where the brakepads ride on will also help. If you still have a clunking noise there is too much play in the caliper and the brake pad is snapping back and forward in the caliper. If the noise is still there you may have to replace the calipers to stop the noise. My way should fix it. If you have a problem on this call me 732-254-3536 Rick L Ps Permatex makes the brake squeak quieter. It comes in a red or blue bottle
Old 06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omathisen View Post
The calipers are Sierra (I assume from Sierra racing and not GMC?). But I have not been able to find a model number. In the ERA manual, at least the one I have, reference is made to GM calipers.
Do they look anything like these below? There are several Sierra XL calipers based on the rotors, but they're all about the same. If you have ten years on the same pads, they probably need a change. Just pull the cotter pins out and remove and replace the pads and see if your problem goes away. It's a ten minute job. You might have to push the pistons back in a little bit. I have a tool for doing that but you can use a piece of wood just as well. Put a little anti-squeal goo on the back of the pads (NOT the front where they touch the rotor). This is a really simple job and it's almost impossible to do it wrong. You might just take your old pads and cotter pin to your local racing store and they will set you up with new pads and pins and you'll be all set.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

See my post over in the other section.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Brake update

Hi,
Thanks for the help. Here are a couple of photos of the caliper.
(Hopefully, I managed to attach them.)
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2008, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default what's the matter with your tires Pat

patrickt, Pat what's the matter with your tires? They are turning blue and pealing. You better get some new tires. Rick L. Ps you are getting slower. You must be sleeping in more.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
patrickt, Pat what's the matter with your tires? They are turning blue and pealing.
I wondered if anyone was going to give my guff over that. Those Yokos have the white lettering on them that bugs me. It bugs me even when I have the white lettering mounted inward. So, I blacked them out with some stuff that turned blue over time. I'm going to put some Kiwi black heel & sole touch-up on them. That'll fix it. Or I could just break down and buy the Avons.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Clunking solved

Hi,
Thanks for the helpful hints. Putting it all together, the problem seems to be solved. I finally had time and put in new brake pads this weekend and the clunking sound is gone. I got the "soft pads" -- the only pads Sierra Racing would sell for street use. Sierra was a pleasure to deal with and real helpful (Ron Burdg, president). Went for a quick test drive last night and everything seems fine. So, back to being a happy driver.